How does the Xeon E3-1231 v3 stack up against the Core i7 4790K when video editing?

I currently have a Pentium G3258 in an ASUS Z97-A motherboard with a Hyper 212 cooler. Since I built my PC, I've shifted its main use from gaming to video editing(Premiere Pro and After Effects). Unfortunately, the Pentium isn't really made for video editing, and especially not After Effects. I'm getting a new CPU soon, and I've narrowed my options down to either the Core i7 4790K or the Xeon E3-1231 v3. The Xeon is $100 cheaper, has a 600Mhz slower clock speed, has a locked core, and doesn't have on-board graphics(I have a dedicated GPU, anyway). I mainly use my computer for Premiere Pro, Photoshop, and After Effects, while doing some occasional gaming(Far Cry 3, Titanfall, Black Ops 2).

While it seems like a no-brainer to get the Xeon, I'm still considering the 4790K for its unlocked core, as I'm planning on having one of these CPUs for a long time, and I want to make it last as long as possible before I inevitably have to switch to Skylake or whatever the newest architecture will be next time I upgrade. On the other hand, I hear that Xeons are made to last, so the only reason I'll upgrade in a few years is if and when the processor breaks.

Go Xeon as lasting forever never realllly works out:P, bo really the Xeon is a great dewal and will work perfect for what you are doing and saving £100 is always nice, get a couple beers with that :P

Favourite Game: 
The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion -[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion]
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is an action role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks and the Take-Two Interactive subsidiary, 2K Games. It is the fourth installment in The Elder Scrolls action fantasy video game series, following The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and preceding The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Oblivion was first released in March 2006. 

Favourite Music: 
Look at my Mixcloud [https://www.mixcloud.com/Gabelele/]  If you want  

PC specs: 

-Pentium G3258 
-GTX 750ti 
-8gb no name RAM 
-MSI h81m-e34 
-240gb Kingston SSD now SSD 
-1tb Seagate baracuda HDD 
-500watt Aero cool 'X-strike' PSU 
-Bitfenix Neos (Blue Y Black) 

- Modded Microsoft -Intelli mouse [linustechtips.com] (thanks to TheRandomness X/) 
-Logitech K120 keyboard 
-ASUS 21.5" 1080p monitor 

No mates facts: 

Favorite tank: Sturmgeschütz III (I understand the Sturmgeschütz series are not technically tanks but infact SPGs, 'got me') 
Favorite Aircraft: Henschel Hs 129

Roles or characters in games: 
WarThunder = Tank destroyer and sometimes my KV-1B if im bored 
CSGO = Sniper, I seem to be able to AWP 'well' apperently 
RPGs in general = Mage or Tank w/ resoration

I currently have a Pentium G3258 in an ASUS Z97-A motherboard with a Hyper 212 cooler. Since I built my PC, I've shifted its main use from gaming to video editing(Premiere Pro and After Effects). Unfortunately, the Pentium isn't really made for video editing, and especially not After Effects. I'm getting a new CPU soon, and I've narrowed my options down to either the Core i7 4790K or the Xeon E3-1231 v3. The Xeon is $100 cheaper, has a 600Mhz slower clock speed, has a locked core, and doesn't have on-board graphics(I have a dedicated GPU, anyway). I mainly use my computer for Premiere Pro, Photoshop, and After Effects, while doing some occasional gaming(Far Cry 3, Titanfall, Black Ops 2).

While it seems like a no-brainer to get the Xeon, I'm still considering the 4790K for its unlocked core, as I'm planning on having one of these CPUs for a long time, and I want to make it last as long as possible before I inevitably have to switch to Skylake or whatever the newest architecture will be next time I upgrade. On the other hand, I hear that Xeons are made to last, so the only reason I'll upgrade in a few years is if and when the processor breaks.

Editing wise you wouldn't see a single difference, gaming you may see a tiny difference if you overclock in an unoptimized or CPU bound game but that's about it

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

It's a myth that Xeons are more reliable / last longer than Core parts.  You only buy Xeon if you want ECC memory or moar cores.  For your usage and budget get a 4690K and overclock it to 4Ghz.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

only slightly slower because of the clock speed, but definitely way better than a 4 core i5

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's a myth that Xeons are more reliable / last longer than Core parts.  You only buy Xeon if you want ECC memory or moar cores.  For your usage and budget get a 4690K and overclock it to 4Ghz.

a 4 core 8 thread xeon performs far better than any i5 in rendering and multithreaded tasks

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What? That's not the point of these lower-end Xeons. The E3-1231 v3 is practically equivalent to the i7-4790 minus the iGPU and 100 MHz boost speed for a little bit more than an i5.

Oh, and for the record, the burden of proof is on you. Give us a source for your claims, please.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

The Xeon would outperform 4690k easily in CPU heavy tasks. It boosts up to 3.8ghz, doesn't need an expensive aftermarket cooler so you save some cash and you can get a B85/H81/H97 motherboard with that which are cheaper than a Z97.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

a 4 core 8 thread xeon performs far better than any i5 in rendering and multithreaded tasks

Ummm Luke says out loud the performance is pretty much the exact same.  Did you watch the video?

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Ummm Luke says out loud the performance is pretty much the exact same.  Did you watch the video?

the same as an i7

I said it outperforms an i5 in multithreaded and rendering tasks

do you know how to read?

Spoiler

The performance between an i7 and Xeon E3 is almost exactly the same since they're basically the same chips. That much is obvious. @Enderman is saying that Xeons have a great advantage over i5s. Did you read his post?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.