Project Bumblebee Black and yellow X99 Build

KillerTech

So I have finally completed my main system, and it has took me just over two months to complete. The system was actually running over a month ago however I have just finished painting hardware and done some other small adjustments. I have more or less stuck to my original plan which was a strict black and yellow colour scheme. I also plan on upgrading more things over time as new hardware is released and I am also planning on doing a custom water cooling loop next year.

Parts 

• CPU - I7 5820k
  • CPU Cooler   - Noctua NH-U14S cooled by a 120mm Corsair PWM fan (Custom painted yellow)
  • Motherboard  - MSI X99A XPOWER AC
  • RAM  - Kingston HyperX Fury Black 2 x 4 GB 2133 MHZ CL14
  • GPU  - Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4GB (Custom painted yellow)
  • Case - Corsair 900D with 4x Corsair SP120mm fans (Custom painted yellow)
  • PSU  - Corsair CX 750M
  • SSD  - Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB
  • HDD  - Seagate Barracuda 2TB
  • HDD  - Seagate Barracuda 1TB

The Main Build 

The build itself went very smoothly with few exceptions. I had no issues apart from mounting my Noctua cooler. I have mounted it many times before on different boards however I struggled with the Intel mounting brackets, however after some research and talking to some friends, I managed to fit the cooler when mixing a combination of both AMD and Intel mounting gear however it turned out to be perfectly secure.

Installing LED'S

Now in my personal opinion if you are spending more than £1000 on a PC and your case has a side window you should definitely have LEDs. I have had different sets of LEDs in my computers for over 2 years now and Project BumbleBee was going to be no exception. I had originally planned on carrying my NZXT HUE over from my previous system, it is a solid lighting kit with hundreds of different colours, however it was just too dull and the supposed white looked blue. I needed something special for this PC, and so I began my quest for the best white PC lighting. I looked absolutely everywhere however all the white LED kits had complaints of being either too dull or having poor life span. I started asking around LTT and it got so bad at one point that someone even recommended I installed a 5m outdoor reel in my PC running of the mains, the 900D is not that big. Eventually I came across Marcus, the director of AddonCustoms, a company that hand makes LED strips to order. At this point I realised my quest for the best LED strips in the universe was over.

GPU Painting 

So like I said before I am trying to stick to a black and yellow colour scheme and as much as I did not want to admit it the R9 290 tri-X was orange. My first attempt with a yellow sharpie (NEVER DO THIS). It looked like a mass of small children had been let loose next to my work bench. I eventually decided I would have to do it properly, so I picked up some more yellow paint and took my GPU fully apart and I painted it just like I painted the fan rings. The end result was way more impressive than I had ever imagined.

SHOWCASE

So for now the system is complete, be sure to let me know what you think.

Oh...the Corsair PSU hate is coming friend. Prepare yourself...

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

TFW you see a nice high end build based on a CX psu (meant for basic builds)

For real, ppl cant even read what even corsair says at their site......

The site has changed....

To address the following concern (CX PSU's) nobody panic I already now about the issues surrounding corsairs CX series of PSU's I did not buy that PSU specifically for this build, I had this PSU from over 8 months ago when I first ordered my 290 and I needed more power cheaply in a lower end build, It will be changed out as soon as I get the chance. 

Its sooo awesome, you have to put liquid cooling in there! You have to fill that case :D Great job!

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

Looks nice! I was expecting MSI Lightning components since they are black and yellow, but you got a really nice and unique computer since you did it all by yourself.

Personally I'd get a smaller case like the 450D and use the extra money to get a better psu but it's your build

Other than that you have a nice customised build

Yea I had considered the corsair 760T a year ago however in the end I decided on the 900D because it is more customisable, better for future water cooling and I have more room to work with.