Crossfire my 290X or go with a Fury (X)

Circs
Go to solution Solved by Kinda Bottlenecked,

CF scaling in modded Skyrim isn't good. Generally 2 cards don't perform that well. And with that I'll suggest the Fury X. But preferably a 980 Ti.  

Hey dudes and dudettes. I've got a single 290X powering my MG279Q 1440p Freesync display and I've modded my Skyrim hard enough that I've got a couple areas that go under 30fps! The leading graphics mod for Skyrim (ENB) can't use more than 4GB of VRAM so there's no push to go higher.

So for optimal dragon punching and shouting Lydia off cliffs what do you think I should do? Get a second 290X or sell my 290X and purchase a Fury/Fury X?

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync

For only $1 a day you too can help end Lydia abuse. Donate today.

290X OP already, adding another and you can use your PC in the winter to warm a room. (I love AMD :) ) On a serious note, I think the Fury X would be OP aswell. Either would be fine for Skyrim, I suppose.

I used to be quite active here.

For only $1 a day you too can help end Lydia abuse. Donate today.

290X OP already, adding another and you can use your PC in the winter to warm a room. (I love AMD :) ) On a serious note, I think the Fury X would be OP aswell. Either would be fine for Skyrim, I suppose.

I thought for sure a single 290X would be fine, but I went more than crazy with my mods. Gotta have them 8k tomato textures.

I'm being serious when I say I have spots that dip under 30fps. I've modded the everloving hell out of this game. The Wizard's Balcony in Markarth hits a cringeomatic 24fps if I get the whole city in one shot.

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

I thought for sure a single 290X would be fine, but I went more than crazy with my mods. Gotta have them 8k tomato textures.

I'm being serious when I say I have spots that dip under 30fps. The Wizard's Balcony in Markarth hits a cringeomatic 24fps. if I get the whole city in one shot.

IMMERSIVE TOMATO? Oh my god.

Meh, again, either wouldn't be terrible. The Fury/X would be much cooler though (in terms of thermal.)

I used to be quite active here.

This is gonna be your preference here really. Want the single gpu or are you happy to use CF profiles? Air cooling or AIO?

Its really up to you to be honest, I couldn't pick from either of these to be honest. CF/SLI is amazing and a dream I've always wanted but a single GPU with AIO is beastly really 

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

CF scaling in modded Skyrim isn't good. Generally 2 cards don't perform that well. And with that I'll suggest the Fury X. But preferably a 980 Ti.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I didn't know that! Pretty much seals the deal then.

I considered the 980Ti, but I got a really good deal on my MG279Q and the comparable monitor with GSYNC is ~$800 and since team green is married to their GSYNC module it makes switching rather prohibitive.

Our setups are practically identical. I've got my Skyrim on an 850 Evo 500GB. What's you modlist like? (Maybe share it with modwat.ch ?)