Resume App?

YellowDragon

I am currently going into my junior year of college for my Major in Computer Science and am one class away from finishing a minor in video game and applications design. College is going to come to an end far faster then I want it too. Now I have to start looking towards the future and planning a career, Ive already had two internships both involved in programming in one shape or form, however I only got these jobs through connections that i have made and never really had to try too hard with a resume or "Selling Myself on Paper". I have the interview down as with the two interships i did have they mentioned i was exceptional at being interviewed and maintaining a cool composure as well as talking in a clean and relaxed fashion.

The problem is with these two internships I never had to show a resume as the people interviewing me knew that I was the local tech guy that everyone came to when something needed fixed and it involved a computer. I have a resume written up and ready to use if need be, however i don't think its good enough I feel I should do something a little better that showcases my skills as a piece of paper does nothing to convey programming knowledge . so I have the idea of creating an application from scratch on a mobile platform and that app itself would act as a resume, for instance you would push the app to the app store of a mobile platform and then employers would download it too look at it and it would contain information about myself, relevant experience and maybe embed a video or two into the app where I can Introduce myself and show some of my previous work experience.

I think it would be a decent idea as making an app would take knowledge of programming and put it into something useful, where the resume itself is part of the examples of previous coding work. What are your thoughts, or do you have any suggestions? 

First thought: Wow, great idea! Is there a better way to show your programming skills than to make your own app which contains your resume? I think this is very creative and would most certainly have a positive effect on future interviews.

But on the other hand, it's kind of wierd to have an app in the app store which contains information only about you. And what if you build this for an android phone, but your boss has an iPhone? Would you want to pay to put your app online? Also, if your app is online, EVERYBODY can download it. Would you want that? And what about your boss downloading your new app. Everything should go perfectly as planned for you not to look like a fool when there are any problems with the internet connection, finding the app in the store, etc.. Murphy's everywhere! It brings alot of extra risks with it. But then again, it shows you've got guts, which is positive.

I don't want to bring you down or anything. The concept's very good, but you need to think it more through ;).

First thought: Wow, great idea! Is there a better way to show your programming skills than to make your own app which contains your resume? I think this is very creative and would most certainly have a positive effect on future interviews.

But on the other hand, it's kind of wierd to have an app in the app store which only contains information about you. And what if you build this for an android phone, but your boss has an iPhone? Would you want to pay to put your app online? Also, if your app is online, EVERYBODY can download it. Would you want that? And what about your boss downloading your new app. Everything should go perfectly as planned for you not to look like a fool when there are any problems with the internet connection, finding the app in the store, etc.. Murphy's everywhere!

I don't want to bring you down or anything. The concept's very good, but you need to think it more through ;).

well the platform i would like to go with would be Windows Phone 8 as I already get a copy of Visual Studio Ultimate free through my college, that includes the SDK for Windows Phones, Windows Phone apps are naively compatible with Windows 8 from there app store. I dont think this will be too much of a deal since I graduate in 2 years, so Windows 8 will have a greater marketshare by then since very few people are tech savvy enough to downgrade to 7.

I personally think internet privacy is not a big issue, growing up with computers everyone already kind of knew that there is no hiding information on the web from anyone, the only reason the NSA issue is such a problem is the next few generations of kids that grew up with tech did not understand this concept properly. The only thing that I would not put in the app would be a direct phone number or I could lock down a section of the app with a passcode and mail that ahead to anyone who want to see me resume. With windows apps in particular you can get them put on the app store completely free as the main cost of entry is buying visual studio or some other dev kit of which I already own. You can post a direct web link to an app posted on the windows store so that wont be a problem finding it.

Though as hard as I try there is no saving the tech illiterate that cant download an app properly, If the person hiring cant figure that out then there is a good chance I would not want to work with them in the first place, A boss that manages programmers better have some knowledge of computers and basic troubleshooting skills. I have already experienced this with one internship and it was hell deciphering exactly what they wanted in a program. It ends up with me just hating my job and silently brooding over my desk thinking about how idiot proof do I have to make a program or how simplistically do I have to break something down.

In Computer Science, making your own software is important. It shows 4 things:

-> You know how to code

-> You love engineering and conceptualizing a program, so that means you love what you do, with deep passion

-> You have original ideas

-> You have experience in making a software from the ground up.