Good Workout Habits - Without a Gym

zkt72

I am making this thread to learn from, but also for other people to learn from. I am wanting to know some good work out habits for out home workouts, with your closest thign to gym equipment being maybe a pull up bar and some large books and crates. I myself have actually been looking for some good workout habits to start practicing at home before I go to a gym, because I am kind of a wimp, but also don't have a good gym nearby and before having to go to a gym in a different town I would like to be able to benefit at a maximum from the gym equipment.

The last 2 weeks I have been doing push ups, sit ups, pull ups, and squats(with doing proper stretches before and after) and I started at doing 20 pushups, 40 sit ups, 25 pull ups, and 40 squats, but I haven't seen any major improvements and I have a protein shake occasionaly with the diet of watever the school serves for lunch(which tend to be very tiny after some Michelle Obama health laws) and some sausage eggs and bacon for breakfeast and then a variety of foods for dinner. I haven't really planned out my diet but I am looking to improve my health by getting some more muscle because we have been lugging around 400-700lbs. of different weight equipment for my band and I am one of the people who are suppose to march onto the field with props(which this year happen to be door[Real doors] and they are pretty damn heavy). So I was hoping people good just post good exercise habits and discuss health and fitness.

Currently I am 130lbs. and 14 years old so idk if this is normal for my age but I am really scrawny but a lot of people say I am strong, but I still don't enjoy being scrawny. But I want to know good goals to set and information that I should probably record in a log or maybe even blog it.(not a fan of blogging I would rather just a log that no one else sees.)

Read this!!!

Post your daily workout routine, height, weight, and maybe age. Discuss your approach to exercise and give any advice you would like to give to the LTT Community and perhaps your opinion on the importance of a good workout routine, and a healthy diet.

over 9000 stream cores

I would advise cardio, and swimming.

Go for a run, with a heavy pack on.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

im assuming you are in high school, if so talk you your gym teachers and get into the weight room, if they are good they will want to get you into the gym and get you active.

if not just be active, go for runs, curls, weighted squats, ect

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Do you have anywhere you can do dips? They're a good bodyweight exercise for building arms and chest. But If you really want to get more muscular you have to lift heavy weights tho.

im assuming you are in high school, if so talk you your gym teachers and get into the weight room, if they are good they will want to get you into the gym and get you active.

if not just be active, go for runs, curls, weighted squats, ect

I am currently in Middle school and we do not have a  weight room over here, you can only use the one at the High school and you have to be in athletics to use it. I have already maxed out my electives with Band and Jazz Band, this is why I am not in track, or on the baseball team.

over 9000 stream cores

First, take all advice you read on the Internet with a kilo of salt.

Second, you're young and still developing - keep this in mind before you jump on anything that seems like a great idea. At your age, the best advice I would give you is to join a team sport and have fun. Because, having fun is how you'll stick to it. Also, know that you can be very strong and not look like a body builder, and you can look like a body builder and not be very strong.

Third, take all advice you read on the Internet with an additional kilo of salt.

Fourth, at your age it is normal to have body image issues. Truly, this world is drowning in unhealthy body images. That's why the "fun" part is so important. It will help you figure out who you are, which is what growing up is all about.

I hope you find and listen to your inner voice, and remember it's OK to learn (SALT!) new things and change your mind. If you feel scrawny, that's more a state-of-mind problem. Results take at least 2 months, unless you're in a position where you're trying to loose weight, which may go faster with plain ol' weight training. For best (SALT!) results, mimic those you want to be like/look like, but just don't go "extreme".

Did I mention salt?

Updated desired build

The biggest issue for me with working out is running. I've mainly been running and doing pull ups, but I started back up on push ups, situps, and various ab stuff. The biggest thing I could say is start running as soon as possible. Also eating right, meaning. No sodas and fast food. So, basically clean foods with a ton of water. I started drinking 60-80ish ounces of water a day and started actually running a lot faster, and I felt like I gained a bit more endurance. Before I was only drinking a bottle a day with Gatorade and sodas.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

First, take all advice you read on the Internet with a kilo of salt.

Second, you're young and still developing - keep this in mind before you jump on anything that seems like a great idea. At your age, the best advice I would give you is to join a team sport and have fun. Because, having fun is how you'll stick to it. Also, know that you can be very strong and not look like a body builder, and you can look like a body builder and not be very strong.

Third, take all advice you read on the Internet with an additional kilo of salt.

Fourth, at your age it is normal to have body image issues. Truly, this world is drowning in unhealthy body images. That's why the "fun" part is so important. It will help you figure out who you are, which is what growing up is all about.

I hope you find and listen to your inner voice, and remember it's OK to learn (SALT!) new things and change your mind. If you feel scrawny, that's more a state-of-mind problem. Results take at least 2 months, unless you're in a position where you're trying to loose weight, which may go faster with plain ol' weight training. For best (SALT!) results, mimic those you want to be like/look like, but just don't go "extreme".

Did I mention salt?

-JimDandy 

It's just I can see my ribs and stuff and I eat full meals through out the day and I can see the little nubs on my wrist

over 9000 stream cores

The biggest issue for me with working out is running. I've mainly been running and doing pull ups, but I started back up on push ups, situps, and various ab stuff. The biggest thing I could say is start running as soon as possible. Also eating right, meaning. No sodas and fast food. So, basically clean foods with a ton of water. I started drinking 60-80ish ounces of water a day and started actually running a lot faster, and I felt like I gained a bit more endurance. Before I was only drinking a bottle a day with Gatorade and sodas.

I am actually pretty damn fast when it comes to long range running, I beat the guy who scored 1st place on a kilometer, just don't have another elective for track. My diet consists of a lot of water because I am in tracka dn I don't often eat junk food, because most of meals are home cooked except for the frozen food the school offers in very tiny amounts.

over 9000 stream cores

I am actually pretty damn fast when it comes to long range running, I beat the guy who scored 1st place on a kilometer, just don't have another elective for track. My diet consists of a lot of water because I am in tracka dn I don't often eat junk food, because most of meals are home cooked except for the frozen food the school offers in very tiny amounts.

So, what are you trying to accomplish bulk muscle or lean muscle? If you drink protein shakes, mix them with milk for bulk and water for lean. Here's a nice guide for exercises using your body as weights. This guide goes in depth for the exercises and also workouts. You might not be wanting to join the military but these workouts are what make the best of the best..

http://www.sealswcc.com/PDF/naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.pdf 

Edit: If you can get a handle on this now while you're really active and almost in high school sports you'll be pretty set workout/fitness wise.

Edit 2: I'm shooting for Lean muscle..

Here's the website

http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seals-buds-prep-docs.html#.VhM2eXpVhBd

GO down to the Naval Special Warfare Physical Training Guide (PDF) 

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

You don't need to do any cardio at all. Look up bulking methods and a good at home workout. You'll learn a lot more from bodybuilding.com than a forum full of computer geeks.

But you DEFINITELY need to bulk if you don't want to be scrawny cause even if you start to form a little muscle you will hit a wall and the only way to get past it is to bulk. Lift heavy and do low- mid reps on most exercises. Also don't try and lift like random objects or anything. You need to lift with the correct form or you will hurt yourself if you're just starting out. 

And just a reminder building muscle mass is expensive if you want to do it right. Supplements and good food are expensive. Gyms aren't necessarily cheap either. Good luck!

"The internet is a series of tubes"

So, what are you trying to accomplish bulk muscle or lean muscle? If you drink protein shakes, mix them with milk for bulk and water for lean. Here's a nice guide for exercises using your body as weights. This guide goes in depth for the exercises and also workouts. You might not be wanting to join the military but these workouts are what make the best of the best..

http://www.sealswcc.com/PDF/naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.pdf 

Edit: If you can get a handle on this now while you're really active and almost in high school sports you'll be pretty set workout/fitness wise.

Edit 2: I'm shooting for Lean muscle..

I think I am more on the lean side, but I am just trying to maintain a healthy life style, not body builder type stuff.

over 9000 stream cores

You don't need to do any cardio at all. Look up bulking methods and a good at home workout. You'll learn a lot more from bodybuilding.com than a forum full of computer geeks.

But you DEFINITELY need to bulk if you don't want to be scrawny cause even if you start to form a little muscle you will hit a wall and the only way to get past it is to bulk. Lift heavy and do low- mid reps on most exercises.

And just a reminder building muscle mass is expensive if you want to do it right. Supplements and good food are expensive. Gyms aren't necessarily cheap either. Good luck!

Don't wanna be a body builder m8 just wanna be a bit more healthy

over 9000 stream cores

But you DEFINITELY need to bulk if you don't want to be scrawny cause even if you start to form a little muscle you will hit a wall and the only way to get past it is to bulk. Lift heavy and do low- mid reps on most exercises.

Also one of the main reasons for this thread was so people could also discuss with each other their daily routines in exercise and maybe their weight height and age. Also computer geeks do more than just computers

over 9000 stream cores

Don't wanna be a body builder m8 just wanna be a bit more healthy

That website isn't just for body building. If you want to be less scrawny though you HAVE to put on mass. I guess that's advice for later lol

and I'm a computer geek too, it wasn't an insult. Just a bit of advice from someone who once was a scrawny 14 yr old too 

That website isn't just for body building. If you want to be less scrawny though you HAVE to put on mass. I guess that's advice for later lol

and I'm a computer geek too, it wasn't an insult. Just a bit of advice from someone who once was a scrawny 14 yr old too 

Just I don't think heavy workouts is something one my age should be doing yet, but I still think a healthy life style is a good idea

over 9000 stream cores

Just I don't think heavy workouts is something one my age should be doing yet, but I still think a healthy life style is a good idea

Oh yeah it's definitely up to you! But 14 is definitely not too young man if you do it right. That's like prime age to start because you can form a good base for when you get a little older. 

To just stay in shape that home workout looks pretty good. Just keep at it and you will see results.

I used to be around 90kg wearing size 36 going on 38 jeans I'm now 5'9 58kg

I didn't drop weight by working out. that is another topic.

I'm maintaining by rollerblading in the evenings I started in June and I was barely able to stand on my blades and I was barely able to get around my block it was extremely embarrassing skating around the block like a zombie with my arms straight out tripping and falling. today I skate 15 KM almost every night if I'm not being rained out. what keeps me going out is routine. by the time it gets dark and the roads are clear of the majority of traffic and I have enough time to get my skate in and return in time to translate a youtube video which comes out at a certain time every night like clockwork and I stretch then go to bed.

it weird but having that looming deadline of that youtube video coming out at a certain time has been the thing that more often than not got me off my ass and on my skates every night.

I suggest finding your own routine with some sort of looming deadline that is outside your own control. its really weird how something like a video coming out at a certain time can get me off my ass like that.

as for at home there is a Japanese bodybuilding youtuber that puts out hour long videos of himself going through his pumps and talking in between I usually put one of those on and work out alongside

oh yes I also am subbed to a whole whack of podcasts and if I don't go on my rollerblading runs the backlog piles up and starts to clog up my ipod. another sword of damocles above my head keeping me on my routine.

First of all you need to eat healthy you can't ignore it, you could go to a nutritionist to get a diet or make it yourself but eating healthy is the first step.

Then do cardio, and no it's not useful only to lose weight but it improves your resistance by a lot.

As far as strenght building goes without weights you won't see any noticeable result, probably some gain at the initial stage but after that you won't see any visible change.

You could get a cheap dumbbell kit to get you started but even it's not really enough, so unless you spend a fortune in equipment you need to go to a gym there's no way around it.

I forgot: to gain mass you need more calories than you consume, that goes for muscle mass too not only fat.