HD 7990 or GTX 780

chrisbeva16

Here in Australia I can get a Palit GTX 780 for $770 where as I can get a Hd 7990 for $900. I am going to order my parts for my new build in the next couple of days and this is the last thing to decide. The budget is tight but if the 7990 is really worth the extra money I may consider trying to gather the extra money.

Thanks in Advance

PS: SLI or crossfire is something that I may consider in the future.

I think its actually worth it with these updates but i also want to say wait for 9xxx. Personally I would take the 7990 over the 780 I dont care about Nvidia GPU experience or what ever and shadow play

Edit: the 8 games to me is the deal breaker

if you are not currently playing on mulitple screens then go for the 7990, it will be more powerful than the 780 but does come with the usual dual gpu issue of heat and stuttering. Personaly if i was in your place i would get the 780 and then sil it later down the road because i belive that a hardware frame pacing solution is better than a software one.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

The only reason why I need to get a new PC in the next few weeks is that I have just sold my current Rig and am stuck with a horrible laptop. Is it even confirmend when the 9xxx series will be coming out?

The only reason why I need to get a new PC in the next few weeks is that I have just sold my current Rig and am stuck with a horrible laptop. Is it even confirmend when the 9xxx series will be coming out?

a have seen nothing from AMD

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

if you are not currently playing on mulitple screens then go for the 7990, it will be more powerful than the 780 but does come with the usual dual gpu issue of heat and stuttering. Personaly if i was in your place i would get the 780 and then sil it later down the road because i belive that a hardware frame pacing solution is better than a software one.

wouldn't the 7990 be better for multiple screens as there is more vram? I am going to be running 3 1080p monitors in the near future so this could also determine which card to chose??

AMD has confirmed that there will be an event in Hawaii, and according to rumours the new architecture will be named Hawaii, so you be the judge, but I don't see why they would be arranging a large event in Hawaii, if it was not for the 9xxx GPU launch :-)

CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 (Corsair H60 with a Noctua NF-F12 Fan) - Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3 (rev. 1.4) - RAM:  4 GB kingston, and 8 GB kingston hyperx blu @ 1333 MHz - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660ti OC edition SSD: 256 GB Plextor MP5-Pro - Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DGX - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363d - Case: Cooler Master elite 430 black -  Cooled by 2 Noctua NF-S12A Fans      Peripherals:ACER B243PWLAymdr IPS Panel - 1920*1200 - ACER S222HQL LCD Panel - 1920*1080 - Corsair M45 on a XFX Warpad - Typing on a Ducky Shine 2 Cherry MX Brown - Green LED - Racing with my Logitech G27 Racing wheel - other games Logitech F710

The 7990 is a 6Gb card with a 3Gb effective frame buffer because the VRAM is split between 2 GPU's going triple 1080p might make me say 780 because of future SLI options

wouldn't the 7990 be better for multiple screens as there is more vram? I am going to be running 3 1080p monitors in the near future so this could also determine which card to chose??

the frame pacing issue has not been fixed yet for eyfinity and both the 7990 and 780 have the same effective amount of Vram

Yes, the reveal is in late september

AMD has confirmed that there will be an event in Hawaii, and according to rumours the new architecture will be named Hawaii, so you be the judge, but I don't see why they would be arranging a large event in Hawaii, if it was not for the 9xxx GPU launch :-)

You could argue that, but how long after the release would it be available for retail purchase? It could be months after, who knows.

the frame pacing issue has not been fixed yet for eyfinity and both the 7990 and 780 have the same effective amount of Vram

But they are still working Hard on improving the drivers

You could argue that, but how long after the release would it be available for retail purchase? It could be months after, who knows.

Well the release is in early october

But they are still working Hard on improving the drivers

i am aware of this. if the op can put up with stuttering in eyefinity till they fix then drivers the go for it.

Personaly i would not because a hardware solution is better than a software one and when amd implement that i will probably be due for a upgrade so then i would go for the red team

I am going to be running 3 1080p monitors in the near future 

i am aware of this. if the op can put up with stuttering in eyefinity till they fix the drivers the go for it.

Personaly i would not because a hardware solution is better than a software one and when amd implement that i will probably be due for a upgrade so then i would go for the red team

It's not going to be right away im assuming by then it will be fixed

Yes, the press release will be out on September 25th, availability will be one week later.

The 7990 is a 6Gb card with a 3Gb effective frame buffer because the VRAM is split between 2 GPU's going triple 1080p might make me say 780 because of future SLI options

But it's a little different with the 7990 you can acsess all the video memory scince its on the same card :3

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Cpu: i7 3820 at 4.3 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 | Gpu: XFX hd 7970 Ghz 1100Mhz/1600Mhz Ram: Crucial BallistiX Elite 16GB 2x8 Gb 1866 Mhz

SSD's: 2x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120 GB in RAID 0 HDD:Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 Rpm

Cpu cooler: Corsair H100i with SP120's | Psu: Corsair TX 850W My monitors: 3x BenQ 24"  GL2460 = Eyefinity

But it's a little different with the 7990 you can acsess all the video memory scince its on the same card :3

It doesn't work like that.  Multi gpu is multi gpu whether it's on one card or not.  There is still only 3GB available frame buffer.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

Here in Australia I can get a Palit GTX 780 for $770 where as I can get a Hd 7990 for $900. I am going to order my parts for my new build in the next couple of days and this is the last thing to decide. The budget is tight but if the 7990 is really worth the extra money I may consider trying to gather the extra money.

Thanks in Advance

if you are buying now 7990.

however, 9xxx series is coming out. but its a longshot whenever the 9990 comes out.

Thanks in Advance

HD 7990 would be more future proof - if there is such thing. Not only has AMD started fixing their CrossFireX/frame-pacing performance but also for pure-bandwidth the HD 7990 will be a better choice. If you do consider to go GTX 780 make sure it's a non-reference design.  

CPU: Ryzen 7-3700x 4.4GHz, MB: ASUS PRIME B450M-AGPU: SAPPHIRE RX 590, RAM: 16GB Corsair 3200MHz, SSD: 480GB Kingston HDD: 2TB WD Green, CHASSIS: CoolerMaster HAF 912, PSU: CoolerMaster Thunder 700W, COOLERHyper 212 Black Edition

Thanks in Advance

i'm in Aussie too and i opted for a non reference 780. runs everything at 1080p, no driver issues, quiet, sli later. 

| Fractal Define Mini | Z77M-D3H | i5 3570k @ 4.3 ghz | EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB |
| Asus Xonar DGX | Seasonic G-650W Gold | 256GB SS 840 Pro | 500GB WD Black | 1TB Barracuda |

I had this dilema recently too, you can order the 7990 from NCIX with their international shipping for even cheaper.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

• 2 weeks later...

im a fan of single GPU my self.

CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 w/2X NF-A14 FLX MoBo: Asus M5A99FX Pro Rev 2.0 Memory: 8GB G.Skill Sniper@1720 GPU: Sapphire Dual-X HD7970@1100/1500 Storage: Samsung 840 120GB(OS), Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 64MB PSU: Sparkle 850W Gold Case: Corsair C70 Military green w/ Solid window Keyboard: Ducky Shines 3 (MX Blues), Razer BlackWidow 2013 Ultimate Mouse: Corsair M90,M65 w/ Vengeance MM600