Valve Employee Proposes using Virtual Reality

christianled59

I personally don't understand VR...

I'd rather experience reality in REALITY.

Virtual stuff is just ridiculous in my opinion.

It's a different paradigm from looking at a monitor or a tv. When you look at a screen you are always looking through a window into a virtual world.

With a VR Head Mounted Display each eye is fed a different image and it covers your entire field of view. Each eye gets a different image and your brain resolves that into a 3 dimensional world around you. This is exactly what happens in real life when you walk through the world. So you are no longer looking through a window into a fictional world. You feel like you are inside that fictional world.

-Nobody is designing from the ground up to make a VR experience that people want.- In reality this is not unlike the development of cinema: You should try to watch some of the classic films right after silent era stuff and see just how awkward those were: it was just basically people putting theater plays in front of a camera, and the actors and stories pretty much reflected this.-The kind of evolving games would need to take advantage of VR won't happen over night it will take years, decades even.  -snipped for brevity-

I agree with your premise, but disagree that it will take as long this time.  I also think that this time it may stick, but I could very well be wrong.

Some of the big problems of the past were cost and tech limits.  The cost was a problem both in making the new stuff, and being able to change and adapt the new ideas and tools.  If you can only afford 1 chance, you really need that chance to succeed.  Distribution and development times used to be a huge problem.  The internet has solved a lot of those problems.  Anyone anywhere can potentially make some software/game/demo and spread it across the world for near negligible cost.  Other people can build off of this and create amazing stuff.  And the cost is so low to enter and fail that you can try again and again with little real risk of total failure. 

The tech limits are also finally at a point where we can actually produce things that look "good enough".  For a long time, the tech as been not good enough, despite any story/design shortcomings.  It looked bad or didn't quite cut it, or was simply too cumbersome.  We now have headsets that will be small enough within a few years to be mildly annoying at worst.  We have computing power available to the regular consumer that can handle displaying pictures that are both high enough resolution and refresh rate.  I would not claim we have all we need, but we have actually achieved the minimum in my opinion.

TL:DR;  I think it is now cheap enough that changes can be made fast with significantly less risk of investment.  The internet allows for near free distribution, along with worldwide collaboration of ideas.  And the tech is finally at the "good enough" point where average consumers may be interested, and definitely enough for enthusiasts to actually do more then watch demos.

I don't see the point in using it to propose, nor do I see it as something that could/should be used constantly in everyday life (augmentet reality on the other hand could be a thing if approached better than google glass did), honestly outside of videogames I see little use in VR.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think Virtual reality is neat as an idea, but not very practical.

Give me the matrix DAMNIT. I WANT FULL IMMERSION

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I agree with your premise, but disagree that it will take as long this time.  I also think that this time it may stick, but I could very well be wrong.

Some of the big problems of the past were cost and tech limits.  The cost was a problem both in making the new stuff, and being able to change and adapt the new ideas and tools.  If you can only afford 1 chance, you really need that chance to succeed.  Distribution and development times used to be a huge problem.  The internet has solved a lot of those problems.  Anyone anywhere can potentially make some software/game/demo and spread it across the world for near negligible cost.  Other people can build off of this and create amazing stuff.  And the cost is so low to enter and fail that you can try again and again with little real risk of total failure. 

The tech limits are also finally at a point where we can actually produce things that look "good enough".  For a long time, the tech as been not good enough, despite any story/design shortcomings.  It looked bad or didn't quite cut it, or was simply too cumbersome.  We now have headsets that will be small enough within a few years to be mildly annoying at worst.  We have computing power available to the regular consumer that can handle displaying pictures that are both high enough resolution and refresh rate.  I would not claim we have all we need, but we have actually achieved the minimum in my opinion.

TL:DR;  I think it is now cheap enough that changes can be made fast with significantly less risk of investment.  The internet allows for near free distribution, along with worldwide collaboration of ideas.  And the tech is finally at the "good enough" point where average consumers may be interested, and definitely enough for enthusiasts to actually do more then watch demos.

I could be wrong about the timeframes sure. I just don't think the impact is as massive as going from no movies to having movies. That's like going from no electricity to electricity or no internet to internet. For what you say to happen quickly and decisively, it would need to be a massive impact, I just don't think this will. But this is a matter of opinion and subjective as I said I could be wrong.

-------

Current Rig

-------

VR certainly has a place but VR Gaming still has one huge challenge to overcome, someone has to crack how to let players interact with the menu & ui without removing the headset, once that happens it will really take off.

For my money MSs SmartGlass is where the future of VR (AR in this case) lies in the mainstream market. Mark my words, that has the potential to change the world, in 100 years everyone will have a set and everything you can think of (outside taking a shit) will be relayed to us via AR. Shops with adverts tailored to the individual, schools with tailored lessons, your workplace, hospital, church, literally everywhere has something which can be added to AR headset.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It's for those who can't experience reality things in reality. Like if a paralyzed person wanted to experience skydiving. or a inner city boy who wanted to ride a horse ;-;

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

It's for those who can't experience reality things in reality. Like if a paralyzed person wanted to experience skydiving. or a inner city boy who wanted to ride a horse ;-;

But how you can experience something just through vision?

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

But how you can experience something just through vision?

imagination does the rest :D

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

imagination does the rest :D

True. 

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

For my money MSs SmartGlass is where the future of VR (AR in this case) lies in the mainstream market. Mark my words, that has the potential to change the world, in 100 years everyone will have a set and everything you can think of (outside taking a shit) will be relayed to us via AR.

In 100 years (and much sooner) we would have moved past VR and HMDs. AR will be done in a different way via direct neural interfaces to our brains.

In 100 years (and much sooner) we would have moved past VR and HMDs. AR will be done in a different way via direct neural interfaces to our brains.

No chance, we barely understand anything about the brain now so directly wiring up to it is waaaaaaaaaay beyond our understanding.

Much more likely is miniaturisation, they'll just shrink the device down to such a small footprint that you can have it implanted into your eye but even then I doubt it. Would you let someone wire directly into your brain? Implant a device into you? The whole thing screams government control and data collection fiasco.

I know for a fact I would want to be able to remove my device when I got home and I'm sure the same is true of most people.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

VR can give you what you can't and probably will never experience in real life.

You have no idea how easy it is to fool your brain just by replacing the input to your eyes.

I'm not buying a headset if i can just buy 144hz screen and buy shutter glasses instead for much cheaper, my neck already hurts a lot last thing i need is straping 1 kg roughly or bit less on my head to make my neck snap off.

Your head weights around 5kg (10-11 pounds), a headset that weights a few more grams or less than a pound is not going to make a big difference.

I'm concerned that if I use VR someone will mess with me while I have it on.

That's why you lock your door, people have messed with others while using just headsets, this will be just a little bit more "dangerous" but that's it, it's the same concept.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

No chance, we barely understand anything about the brain now so directly wiring up to it is waaaaaaaaaay beyond our understanding.

I'm only talking about sensory input.

e.g. hooking up something to our optic nerve in order to get enhanced vision and AR.

marriage wont' last more than 2 years

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

VR gives me a migraine...
I've not tried the vive or anything past dk2, so this of course could've been addressed.

I'm hoping for actual games support, and hoping it won't end up being wii sports cheesy

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

Venomz1337, on 05 Oct 2015 - 11:43 PM, said:

Now that is just stupid...

Oh trust me you will if you wear it for long periods of time few grams it will come close towards a kg

That doesn't make sense, people wear headsets for long periods of time, yet the weight you feel does not increase at all.

You cant defy physics in the real world. 

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

That doesn't make sense, people wear headsets for long periods of time, yet the weight you feel does not increase at all.

Its because of the balance. With a headset, it is on top of your head. Since a VR headset is in front of your face, it unbalances stuff and makes your neck strain more to hold your head up. Thats why some VR headsets actually have a counter weight in the back. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Its because of the balance. With a headset, it is on top of your head. Since a VR headset is in front of your face, it unbalances stuff and makes your neck strain more to hold your head up. Thats why some VR headsets actually have a counter weight in the back. 

Well, you just figured out a way to fix that problem, I know is not good to have all the weight on the front without something to balance it on the back.

You even know what you are talking about ?

Having huge weight on top of your nose is more annoying then on your ears, your head just gets pulled down which means you have to counter balance it your self which just gives horrible neck pain over time, why you think normal glasses are made to be light weight and not heavy ? you even know what you are talking about ?

iWKad22.jpg

See my reply to him.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

You even know what you are talking about ?

Having huge weight on top of your nose is more annoying then on your ears, your head just gets pulled down which means you have to counter balance it your self which just gives horrible neck pain over time, why you think normal glasses are made to be light weight and not heavy ? you even know what you are talking about ?

iWKad22.jpg

You really think engineers are not that smart to have figured that out by now?

Adding weight on the back really does't change much, all you can do is make it as light as possible can only imagine this with oled display tech as thin as possible like flexiable VR glasses that are slightly bigger then normal glasses with all the hardware on the ear cups for the headphones for example, that will be a couple of years still tech is out there already though.

Well, then it's obvious that they have to make it as light as possible, something they must be already working on by now.

I have zero interest in gluing one of those large headsets to my face.

the firsts cellphones were bulky too.