VPN to to Lower Game Ping?

Nater
Go to solution Solved by dzonidev,

-snip-

Okay so generally the answers you got here are only about half true and are depending on a certain scenario. Your ISP for example is connected to some networks (peers) via BGP sessions, and some networks are closer than other. Since your ISP cannot reach every single network in the world it has to go through a few other networks and usually for ISPs that ends up in some bad routing and is the cause of higher latency.

In an optimal situation, the datacenter you would buy the server from has a form of internal network that can provide a fast path or a nicely optimized route to a location where the game server is hosted, thus going through less hops and effectively lowering your latency.

WTFast has optimized routes to their partners and they are present at your ISP or near it. There is another factor and it's VPN layer that adds latency however that is in the range of 5-10ms and can be reduced with some tweaks.

Conclusion, yes it is possible but you will need to deploy a few servers on various locations with internal routing and configure them to work in tandem, and then again the server you are connecting to has to be close to your ISP. Only then can this make sense.

I'm starting a partnership with a server company so I have access to servers at a cheap prices and I was thinking about buying a few and creating a VPN to market to a few friends who have terrible ping on League of Legends. I get this idea from "WTFast" however mine would be better (if wtfast even worked at all).

My question is can you actually get lower ping by being on a fast VPN? If so what would be the optimal server? If the league of legends servers are in Chicago would it be best to buy Chicago servers? Or would it be best to get servers closer to their location?

I'm starting a partnership with a server company so I have access to servers at a cheap prices and I was thinking about buying a few and creating a VPN to market to a few friends who have terrible ping on League of Legends. I get this idea from "WTFast" however mine would be better (if wtfast even worked at all).

My question is can you actually get lower ping by being on a fast VPN? If so what would be the optimal server? If the league of legends servers are in Chicago would it be best to buy Chicago servers? Or would it be best to get servers closer to their location?

A VPN would increase ping because it's another server you have to go through. The less servers, the less ping.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

A VPN would increase ping because it's another server you have to go through. The less servers, the less ping.

Is this fact? I've met several people, specifically on CS:GO, that have under 10 ping that claim it's thanks to their VPN. Many people also stand next to WTFast claiming it made their ping drop. (It personally lowered mine by 3)

The ping in game might be lower due to the location of the vpn which the game thinks you're playing from but the actual latency might be higher since the data has to travel more. 

Is this fact? I've met several people, specifically on CS:GO, that have under 10 ping that claim it's thanks to their VPN. Many people also stand next to WTFast claiming it made their ping drop. (It personally lowered mine by 3)

Impossible. Its simple physics.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

The ping in game might be lower due to the location of the vpn which the game thinks you're playing from but the actual latency might be higher since the data has to travel more. 

I assumed that was the case but I wanted to at least be sure, or maybe if you had a better connection to the VPN than the game server it might make up for the extra distance it has to travel.

It depends on the order of servers.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

thats what they claim.  scrpits out there to mask pings.  play with overseas players with a 1 ping on us server.  ya right.  ping is related to the server you route traffic and your distance from it if im not mistaken. correct me please if im wrong.

How VPN help to lower game ping? I come to know that VPN slow down your internet speed

How VPN help to lower game ping? I come to know that VPN slow down your internet speed

If you have more than a couple houndred mb/s it might make it slower, but it won't lower your ping.

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

If you have more than a couple houndred mb/s it might make it slower, but it won't lower your ping.

Then why gamers keep asking for VPN to reduce ping and for lower ping..? even most of the gamers using VPN for online gaming how it help them..

Then why gamers keep asking for VPN to reduce ping and for lower ping..? even most of the gamers using VPN for online gaming how it help them..

1: It kind off protects against DoS/DDoS

2: Because reported in game ping will be lower, but actual ping will be higher

3: Placebo

Impossible. Its simple physics.

Depends. YThe traffic could be routing a long way around whereas if it was directly to a VPN it might take another route and get to the destination server faster. I doubt this because the routing would take the shortest route possible without congestion, but it could be possible?!

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Depends. YThe traffic could be routing a long way around whereas if it was directly to a VPN it might take another route and get to the destination server faster. I doubt this because the routing would take the shortest route possible without congestion, but it could be possible?!

Might be possible if the VPN and the gameserver was hosted on the same network, but that isn't the case ;)

Might be possible if the VPN and the gameserver was hosted on the same network, but that isn't the case ;)

Ahh very true ^^  :lol:

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

going through a vpn will make ping slower, you can only acsess a vpn at the speed of your ISP's pre-determined ping, download and upload speeds.

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

going through a vpn will make ping slower, you can only acsess a vpn at the speed of your ISP's pre-determined ping, download and upload speeds.

Correct your VPN still goes through your ISP's connection, so your network latency cannot be any lower. Infact a VPN increases packet size by adding more to the header's which will cause more packets. VPN's also pack all your packets into UDP packets which does not have error correction, even TCP packets end up being UDP. This can cause your pings and latency to look better than they actually are. The number of hops may be reduced so if the game calculates latency based on this it could give you false results. So simply put VPN=Bad for gaming. 

This is how Riot Games is trying to alleviate the issues they have with server placement. They bought direct lines from a bunch of major carrier directly to their new central servers. So essentially everyone that still plays LoL is actually connecting to Riot's own VPN and being priority routed in an optimal way.

Obviously this is a very expensive solution and none of the "gaming VPN" companies can do this. They just rent a server in several of the major data centres thus the game client thinks their ping is very low, as that VPN server is very close to the main lines and transit nodes. However even if the game reports say, 10ms, you still have to factor in the time it takes that VPN server to respond back to you, which is most likely your original ping (or even worse in some cases) + a little extra for processing.

-snip-

Okay so generally the answers you got here are only about half true and are depending on a certain scenario. Your ISP for example is connected to some networks (peers) via BGP sessions, and some networks are closer than other. Since your ISP cannot reach every single network in the world it has to go through a few other networks and usually for ISPs that ends up in some bad routing and is the cause of higher latency.

In an optimal situation, the datacenter you would buy the server from has a form of internal network that can provide a fast path or a nicely optimized route to a location where the game server is hosted, thus going through less hops and effectively lowering your latency.

WTFast has optimized routes to their partners and they are present at your ISP or near it. There is another factor and it's VPN layer that adds latency however that is in the range of 5-10ms and can be reduced with some tweaks.

Conclusion, yes it is possible but you will need to deploy a few servers on various locations with internal routing and configure them to work in tandem, and then again the server you are connecting to has to be close to your ISP. Only then can this make sense.

This is how Riot Games is trying to alleviate the issues they have with server placement. They bought direct lines from a bunch of major carrier directly to their new central servers. So essentially everyone that still plays LoL is actually connecting to Riot's own VPN and being priority routed in an optimal way.

Obviously this is a very expensive solution and none of the "gaming VPN" companies can do this. They just rent a server in several of the major data centres thus the game client thinks their ping is very low, as that VPN server is very close to the main lines and transit nodes. However even if the game reports say, 10ms, you still have to factor in the time it takes that VPN server to respond back to you, which is most likely your original ping (or even worse in some cases) + a little extra for processing.

Ah wow, I did not know they did that. Cool

Thanks