R9 390 and getting fps lag in GTA V and other games.

Xplod2064

Just because you don't go to 100% usage of the CPU that doesn't remove the possibility your CPU is at fault. What other games do you play? Pick one as graphically demanding as GTA and see if it's better. GTA and Witcher are demanding of the CPU.

I can try Farcry 4?

Yeah that should work. If it still shutters then it adds evidence to it being the PSU and/or GPU.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Where did you take that? I think it means that card is capable of PCIE 3 16X, but can only run at PCIE2 16X. It won't make a difference.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Where did you take that? I think it means that card is capable of PCIE 3 16X, but can only run at PCIE2 16X. It won't make a difference.

was in the catalyst control centre info

There would be less bottleneck at higher resolutions.

It doesn't matter if it's 100% or not, the FX series is awful for gaming. That's what is causing this. My 390 can max GTAV out at 60+FPS 1440P.

Doesn't mean it will get worse......if something is upgraded to something better than it should at least have the same or better performance...

was in the catalyst control centre info

Yeah, then that's what it means. The FX platform only has PCIE 2.0.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Yeah, then that's what it means. The FX platform only has PCIE 2.0.

I just spent $600 on this gpu and can't get any new cpu atm anyway was gonna wait for zen. Didn't expect to have this issue with whatever it is.

I just spent $600 on this gpu and can't get any new cpu atm anyway was gonna wait for zen. Didn't expect to have this issue with whatever it is.

It's just the CPU being weak. The only thing you can do then is try and get it OC'd as much as possible.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

It's just the CPU being weak. The only thing you can do then is try and get it OC'd as much as possible.

Ok well i'm just installing Farcry 4 and give that a go.

Ok well i'm just installing Farcry 4 and give that a go.

It's just hard to find a solution when I'm getting so many different answers lol. :/

It's just hard to find a solution when I'm getting so many different answers lol. :/

The majority here is saying the CPU is the problem. There's not too many different answers. :P

My baby| CPU: Core i5-4690K  |  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  |  CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus |   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | GPU: MSI R9 390  |  RAM: 16 GB - G.Skill Ripjaws X |

We brawlers are sustained by willpower, even if mocked as reckless and crazy! - Kamina

The majority here is saying the CPU is the problem. There's not too many different answers. :P

Some people are telling me to reinstall windows.

You should've replaced that shitty cpu first

This

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

the majority does not make them correct. this thread is full of so many mis informed fanboys i wont even bother wasting my time explaining to them why they are dead wrong, they can use google for that, i aint wasting my time, and as for the OP here, for a 390 you should have gone no less than an 8 core fx, that is just the hard truth, my friend has a 6300 fx and i gave him hell when he bought it, still give him hell to this day, the 6300 is an over glorified tri core cpu when you really get down to it. and thats coming from an AMD fan. Dont listen to these clowns and waste money swapping your mobo and blah blah to go intel, see if you can sell that 6 core, grab atleast an 8 core fx, and see how that goes.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

the majority does not make them correct. this thread is full of so many mis informed fanboys i wont even bother wasting my time explaining to them why they are dead wrong, they can use google for that, i aint wasting my time, and as for the OP here, for a 390 you should have gone no less than an 8 core fx, that is just the hard truth, my friend has a 6300 fx and i gave him hell when he bought it, still give him hell to this day, the 6300 is an over glorified tri core cpu when you really get down to it. and thats coming from an AMD fan. Dont listen to these clowns and waste money swapping your mobo and blah blah to go intel, see if you can sell that 6 core, grab atleast an 8 core fx, and see how that goes.

We're all fanboys right because we know the 6300 is shit? Amd processors are Garbage. We're sorry if that offends you but the truth hurts 

CPU_01.png

Thats at 1600P... Just imagine how much worse it is at 1080P

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

It's the CPU. I had an 8350 and could not get it to play bf4 smooth no matter what. Even oced to 4.6ghz stable. Thought maybe gfx so got another r9 270x in xfire all that did is made the stutter more dramatic went from 100+fps to 34fps instead of 60fps-34fps.

Was a big amd fan when I had the first 64but cou and then I went phenom II x4 and liked that and then went fx8350 and was truly let down, thought I was building some super bad 8core 16gb monster PC only to find it can't hang. The fx architecture is just bad. Returned the second 270x and got an I7 4790k and bf4 runs smooth as could be. GTA V came out and could tell gfx were getting hit so was thinking to finally cut all ties and go Intel nvidia 970 but then the r9 390 came out and renewed my liking of amd gfx (especially with dx12 coming). Now I can play GTA V maxed but even with 4790k in high action areas you can feel it will slow (just a little) so if that's on a 4790 then your 6300 must be choking to death.

Not that I have anything against my I7 but really hoping zen is a success. Won't be upgrading either way for a while but if zen makes it then maybe amd can grow that architecture for zen II or III for when I'm ready to change again

I'll buy Zen if its close to a 5960X

I'll buy Zen if its close 

It's the CPU. I had an 8350 and could not get it to play bf4 smooth no matter what. Even oced to 4.6ghz stable. Thought maybe gfx so got another r9 270x in xfire all that did is made the stutter more dramatic went from 100+fps to 34fps instead of 60fps-34fps.

Was a big amd fan when I had the first 64but cou and then I went phenom II x4 and liked that and then went fx8350 and was truly let down, thought I was building some super bad 8core 16gb monster PC only to find it can't hang. The fx architecture is just bad. Returned the second 270x and got an I7 4790k and bf4 runs smooth as could be. GTA V came out and could tell gfx were getting hit so was thinking to finally cut all ties and go Intel nvidia 970 but then the r9 390 came out and renewed my liking of amd gfx (especially with dx12 coming). Now I can play GTA V maxed but even with 4790k in high action areas you can feel it will slow (just a little) so if that's on a 4790 then your 6300 must be choking to death.

Ill have to go for something else or wait for zen i'm to poor atm lol

I'll buy Zen if its close

Ill have to go for something else or wait for zen i'm to poor atm lol

Zen isn't going to be cheap. The 8 core / 16T chip will probably be 399.99

Just go with a z97 board and i3 or i5. Seems you can pick one of those up together for roughly same cost as the r9 390 you just bought. Your ram will still swap over. The i5 is supposed to run almost identical to the i7 I got in games. I just went i7 cause I was pissed about being let down by the 8350 so said screw it I'm not getting let down with the CPU again lol

What is your power supply?

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Just go with a z97 board and i3 or i5. Seems you can pick one of those up together for roughly same cost as the r9 390 you just bought. Your ram will still swap over. The i5 is supposed to run almost identical to the i7 I got in games. I just went i7 cause I was pissed about being let down by the 8350 so said screw it I'm not getting let down with the CPU again lol

Im thinking of going with a I5 4430 with a ASRock Fatal1ty H87. I would go higher in I5 cpu like a better one, but the prices in New Zealand go up way to much for hardly any performance difference. But that should be better having a I5 over a FX 6300 and maybe having my R9 390 in a Pcie x16 3.0 slot instead of a Pciex16 2.0 slot atm.