R9 390 and getting fps lag in GTA V and other games.

Xplod2064

It's just the CPU being weak. The only thing you can do then is try and get it OC'd as much as possible.

Would a I5 4430 be abit better than the FX 6300?

Would a I5 4430 be abit better than the FX 6300?

That'd be much better.
Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

That'd be much better.

I mainly wanna play GTA 5, FarCry 4, World of Warcraft, Metro Last light.

That'd be much better.

Also Fallout 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also Fallout 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAHHHHH BOIEEEEEEEEE! Fallout 4 doesn't look to be CPU demanding but we'll find out soon enough.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Yeah, that's fine. I was gonna make a topic about my 390 upgrade, but I don't think I did. My system plays GTAV and Metro amazingly even at 1440P.
Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Im thinking of going with a I5 4430 with a ASRock Fatal1ty H87. I would go higher in I5 cpu like a better one, but the prices in New Zealand go up way to much for hardly any performance difference. But that should be better having a I5 over a FX 6300 and maybe having my R9 390 in a Pcie x16 3.0 slot instead of a Pciex16 2.0 slot atm.

PCIE-2.0x16 vs PCIE-3.0x16 makes no noticeable difference in any game other than Ryse: Son of Rome, where the difference in framerate was measured to be 10% at 1080p with a GTX 980 by techpowerup. Otherwise the worst scaling games were at around 2% and the vast majority of AAA games were at maybe 0.5%. I personally run an H81 board with PCIE-2.0x16 and my GTX 970 has never felt like it was underperforming relative to benchmarks I have seen for various games.

PCIE-2.0x16 vs PCIE-3.0x16 makes no noticeable difference in any game other than Ryse: Son of Rome, where the difference in framerate was measured to be 10% at 1080p with a GTX 980 by techpowerup. Otherwise the worst scaling games were at around 2% and the vast majority of AAA games were at maybe 0.5%. I personally run an H81 board with PCIE-2.0x16 and my GTX 970 has never felt like it was underperforming relative to benchmarks I have seen for various games.

Ah k sweet. I am just thinking would the I5 4430 be capable of working with the MSI R9 390 without bottle necking it?

Ah k sweet. I am just thinking would the I5 4430 be capable of working with the MSI R9 390 without bottle necking it?

Most likely, yes. It won't bottleneck.

My baby| CPU: Core i5-4690K  |  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  |  CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus |   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | GPU: MSI R9 390  |  RAM: 16 GB - G.Skill Ripjaws X |

We brawlers are sustained by willpower, even if mocked as reckless and crazy! - Kamina

Most likely, yes. It won't bottleneck.

Cool I just wanted to confirm it before buying it.

An i5-4430 shouldn't bottleneck an R9 390. What does the i5-4430 cost vs the i5-4590 in NZ? In the US the price difference is small enough to where the i5-4590 is usually the best price to performance chip out there, and anything above i5-4590 offers very small improvements per dollar. Not that the the difference between an i5-4590 and i5-4430 is a much either in games.

I see you're from NZ, what a country. I was there a few years ago and hiked the Routeburn Track, Fox Glacier, a little bit of Stewart Island, and a couple of hikes in Arthur's Pass, what a beautiful place. And then Milford Sound in a big rainstorm. Nothing like some Blue Cod and a Speights after coming off a trail too. I'm envious of you Southern Hemisphere dwellers who can see the Magellanic Clouds and Centaurus in your night sky.

An i5-4430 shouldn't bottleneck an R9 390. What does the i5-4430 cost vs the i5-4590 in NZ? In the US the price difference is small enough to where the i5-4590 is usually the best price to performance chip out there, and anything above i5-4590 offers very small improvements per dollar. Not that the the difference between an i5-4590 and i5-4430 is a much either in games.

I see you're from NZ, what a country. I was there a few years ago and hiked the Routeburn Track, Fox Glacier, a little bit of Stewart Island, and a couple of hikes in Arthur's Pass, what a beautiful place. And then Milford Sound in a big rainstorm. Nothing like some Blue Cod and a Speights after coming off a trail too. I'm envious of you Southern Hemisphere dwellers who can see the Magellanic Clouds and Centaurus in your night sky.

Haha Yea I love this country wouldn't want to live anywhere else :) Also the I5 4430 is $189 NZD and the i5 4590 is like $320

Haha Yea I love this country wouldn't want to live anywhere else :) Also the I5 4430 is $189 NZD and the i5 4590 is like $320

The i5 4440 i think it is is like $40 more than the 4430. The prices jump up alot.

Holy shit, get the i5 4430 and don't look back. That's way cheaper than US prices even for the i5-4430. That like $122.54 in USD, which is the price of an i3. 

The i5 4440 i think it is is like $40 more than the 4430. The prices jump up alot.

Crazy. In the US the i5-4590 is usually only $10-$20 more than the i5-4440 and i5-4460, and the i5-4430 is usually a little more expensive than the i5-4440. But the 4430 at the $189 NZD price you mentioned would blow every other CPU out of the water here for price to performance.

Crazy. In the US the i5-4590 is usually only $10-$20 more than the i5-4440 and i5-4460, and the i5-4430 is usually a little more expensive than the i5-4440. But the 4430 at the $189 NZD price you mentioned would blow every other CPU out of the water here for price to performance.

Yea so ill just stick with getting a I5 4430 with a ASRock Fatal1ty H97 and hopefully I should be good.