100 MB in 1 hour?! download speed?!

MACGYVR

Hi. 

It takes me one hour to download 100MB

I am very frustrated at this speed. It upsets my work flow waiting on a "little" sized file to download.

it takes me 2 days to download 10 GB

sometimes my downloads fail.

right now i think we pay for 10mbps which is 1MBps

I know its the worst speed you can pay for but why am I not getting 1MBps?!

Keep in mind I am not old enough to move out, and this is my parents setup that they let the ips give them.

We have two connections aswell i think the modem has a built in router and then the router that we have which is "n" connection 

It has worse connection then the modems built in router.

Anyway, I wanna pull out how much my parents are paying for and have no idea where to start. Please Help.

-MacGyver

Tell them you can possibly get better internet by calling with the ISP, but say you need some details on what you got right now.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

So maybe you tell what are the specs of you computer. Also tell us the how you are connected to online via WIFI or cord?

Failure is not an option!

So maybe you tell what are the specs of you computer. Also tell us the how you are connected to online via WIFI or cord?

wifi because my pc is all the way across the house from the modem. whats specs? of all the hardware?

Tell them you can possibly get better internet by calling with the ISP, but say you need some details on what you got right now.

i dont know how to get better internet. I dont know if i need new/better router or what.

i dont know how to get better internet. I dont know if i need new/better router or what.

hmm.. Maybe you have to just alk with your parent's and tell them. That they have to call to ISP and there they can upgrade the plan. 

Failure is not an option!

Ok.

Well, you don't know what package you have at your ISP, so you don't know what speeds you should get... Try doing a speedtest.net on a PC connected via a cable to your router.

This way  you get a more optimal speed measurement. 

Can you find out what router you have? I assume the ISP given one, but any more info?

And I think your parents probably still have an old contract at your ISP (meaning an outdated one), try to get some info about that at your parents too.

Chances are they are overpaying for what they are getting now, compared to current contracts.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Ok.

Well, you don't know what package you have at your ISP, so you don't know what speeds you should get... Try doing a speedtest.net on a PC connected via a cable to your router.

This way  you get a more optimal speed measurement. 

Can you find out what router you have? I assume the ISP given one, but any more info?

And I think your parents probably still have an old contract at your ISP (meaning an outdated one), try to get some info about that at your parents too.

Chances are they are overpaying for what they are getting now, compared to current contracts.

The plan is 10mbps and the modem is "new". Would a dedicated router improve my speed? 

The plan is 10mbps and the modem is "new". Would a dedicated router improve my speed? 

Well if you tried the test I mentioned:

Try doing a speedtest.net on a PC connected via a cable to your router.

I could give an answer to that. Maybe the WiFi just makes the internet slow.

it also depends on where you're downloading it from. and how many people are actively downloading it at the same time.  you could have a gigabit connection and still have it take that long if the source is shitty enough

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.