Constant network drop outs

Bsmith

Hey guys,

I'm having quite a huge problem, when using the internet I'm having trouble of hacing a stable connection.

Currently(while downloading MSX) I get connected for a couple of seconds, my webusage goes to 25% usage and then it disconnects again for a second of 2, it keeps repeating this the whole time.

When gaming online(or uploading a video online) I encounter roughly the same problem, altough less frequent.

Anybody has an idea what the problem might be or how to solve this?

I tried multiple things myself already, like opening up the routers firewall for certain ports, changing change the security and using the windows problem solver.

Nothing of it worked sadly, so I ran out of idea's escept that it might be the router(stock router given by ISP) which my parents wont let me replace, the switch(same problem, not allowed to replace) or that the cable went bad, causing the trouble.

This however is only when I'm using the LAN cable, I tried it a few times on my old laptop(switching between wifi and cable) and it seems that the wifi doesn't suffer from this problem, nor do other systems connected by cable to the switch we have installed.

windows control center network usage graph:

post-54592-0-69675200-1443966366.png

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Hey guys,

I'm having quite a huge problem, when using the internet I'm having trouble of hacing a stable connection.

Currently(while downloading MSX) I get connected for a couple of seconds, my webusage goes to 25% usage and then it disconnects again for a second of 2, it keeps repeating this the whole time.

When gaming online(or uploading a video online) I encounter roughly the same problem, altough less frequent.

Anybody has an idea what the problem might be or how to solve this?

I tried multiple things myself already, like opening up the routers firewall for certain ports, changing change the security and using the windows problem solver.

Nothing of it worked sadly, so I ran out of idea's escept that it might be the router(stock router given by ISP) which my parents wont let me replace, the switch(same problem, not allowed to replace) or that the cable went bad, causing the trouble.

This however is only when I'm using the LAN cable, I tried it a few times on my old laptop(switching between wifi and cable) and it seems that the wifi doesn't suffer from this problem, nor do other systems connected by cable to the switch we have installed.

Bad patch cable? Reinstall LAN drivers?

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Seeing the stuff you tried, the problem probably lies at the PC being used.

Have you tried installing some new network drivers or whatever? (Not sure how you would go about doing that exactly, if it's a BIOS thing or inside WIndows..)

Also,

inb4 "what is MSX???"

It's Windows 10.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Bad patch cable? Reinstall LAN drivers?

Seeing the stuff you tried, the problem probably lies at the PC being used.

Have you tried installing some new network drivers or whatever? (Not sure how you would go about doing that exactly, if it's a BIOS thing or inside WIndows..)

Also,

inb4 "what is MSX???"

It's Windows 10.

I personally don't think it are the drivers, since the connection is fine when I'm only watching youtube or surfing the web, but once downloads or games start kicking in it goes all garbage, will check drivers though just to be sure, might be the drivers of my desktop and old laptop both have been faulty.

also, the windows control center graph of my connection(also added to OP)

post-54592-0-58633800-1443966302.png

are you on wifi? if your on wifi, thats your problem, try restarting your router

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

are you on wifi? if your on wifi, thats your problem, try restarting your router

currently on cable(desktop without wifi card) but surprisingly wifi was more stable(old laptop) when using the web intensive compared to usage on cable(laptop and desktop)

edit:

downloading new intel LAN drivers right now.

currently on cable(desktop without wifi card) but surprisingly wifi was more stable(old laptop) when using the web intensive compared to usage on cable(laptop and desktop)

edit:

downloading new intel LAN drivers right now.

go restart your router anyway, has always helped me when internet fuckes up

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

go restart your router anyway, has always helped me when internet fuckes up

yeah that's sadly not it, everything else(TV, wifi devices, dads pc etc) work flawless, but will do anyway if drivers dont work.

Have you tried to run malware detection software? There might be malware what can do that trick also. Then run the cleaning and try install OS again. Also check the modem and cable and if possible call, to the carrier and tell the problem there. 

Failure is not an option!

Have you tried to run malware detection software? There might be malware what can do that trick also. Then run the cleaning and try install OS again. Also check the modem and cable and if possible call, to the carrier and tell the problem there. 

thanks for the suggestion, will let the ISP know and run through my system with MBA and windows defender after drivers are installed.

(double post, sorry in advance)

I think I found the problem, the realtek drivers fail to install themselves correctly due to a unkown error, deleting older drivers first makes the new ones fail completely, forcing me to use windows recorvy to get the older (shitty)drivers back)

got to find a way to update the realtek drivesr anyway.

thanks for the suggestion, will let the ISP know and run through my system with MBA and windows defender after drivers are installed.

Also i suggest that you run https://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/sem/5/?sfc=sem-gs_b_sc_en&gclid=Cj0KEQjwnMOwBRCAhp-ysqCwypkBEiQAeSy1-ZtTqtMxm_c7mhgJExROGqmQrSI9TohxshugmuAlEqIaAqAt8P8HAQ Anti Malwarebytes software it's very good for detecting Malware's.

that's the one i meant with MBA, got premium and it's definitly worth it yeah.

that's the one i meant with MBA, got premium and it's definitly worth it yeah.

ah yeah right, i didn't read right. :D

realtek LAN drivers would install through the MSI live update feature, but not manual(weird) will update this topic once I have been able to test this out properly.