PC Crash - Not Bluescreen!?!?!

Go to solution Solved by exhaustedbrit,

That motherboard is in no way suitable for running a 9590 especially with an overclock. It officially supports CPUs up to 140W, not 220+ which your 9590 is. My guess is your VRMs are completely overloaded causing erratic voltages leading to lock ups like you've explained.

Get a better motherboard for the 9590.

Edit: Alternatively, underclock your CPU.

Okay, The problem is my PC, I don't know what's wrong about it, i just know it's wrong, and it's making me really mad. 

The problem started after i upgraded the system [3 months ago], 

The system specs are:

- CPU: AMD FX-9590 Octo-Core 4.0Ghz

- CPU COOLER: Corsair H60

- GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 SC

- MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M5 A97 R2.0

- RAM: 8GB DDR4

- HDD: 1TB

- Power: 1500w

- Windows: 10

The problem i have is my PC will crash, But not like a bluescreen or file dump, But the whole screen freezes, Mouse and keyboard input no longer works, and all sound cuts out, But the PC remains running - Fans, lights and monitors stay on, So i have no idea what's going on. What i've found is that i can leave my PC on all day, Before i go to school i can turn it on, And i'll come back and it'll be fine, But as soon as i start playing games or doing anything that requires a little more that idle power, [Games, Photoshop, rendering, Opening lots of tabs] it crashes, And now it's really annoying me as i can't do anything, i don't know what's wrong, but i do notice frame drops in games like counter strike, a game that i should get 300+ FPS on, but i go down to numbers below 10 at times, i have no idea what's going on, and i'm worried that one day it wont turn on, and i'm not sure i have the money to buy the parts i want at the moment, so if any one could tell me what's wrong, Or what i can do to find out, that would be great, It's getting REALLY annoying.  

Okay first thing, do you have any over-clocks? @SergeiDrew

Have you tried fully uninstalling nvidia drivers in safe mode using Display Driver Uninstaller and then reinstalling?

Have you checked that you are running the latest motherboard BIOS?

Also what brand of PSU are you using?

The oc on the gpu or cpu might be the problem.Also heat can cause problems and bad drivers.

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Might be the DDR4 RAM you shoved into the motherboard.

What powersupply do you have?

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

That motherboard is in no way suitable for running a 9590 especially with an overclock. It officially supports CPUs up to 140W, not 220+ which your 9590 is. My guess is your VRMs are completely overloaded causing erratic voltages leading to lock ups like you've explained.

Platform agnostic software engineer & small business owner. 

This although i'd get rid of the 9590 and save up for a Z97 and i5 4690k. 

Thanks for the feed back! :)

Some edits:

I have DDR3 ram not DDR4 - My mistake [sP DDR3 as it says on it]

i have a storm 900w PSU

heat isn't a problem > 50'c most times. 

Once i tried overclocking my CPU, *Because of the frame drops in CSGO* and as soon as i changed it from x25 to x26 and applied, i instantly crashed

*Because of the frame drops in CSGO* 

Wait, a top tier AMD CPU drops frams in a game using source engine? What?

You say that you have upgraded your build. Which part did you change before this?

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Wait, a top tier AMD CPU drops frams in a game using source engine? What?

You say that you have upgraded your build. Which part did you change before this?

before i had an amd saphire GPU and a amd 8580D APU 

This answer, right here ^

Although I'd keep the 9590 and OC it like hell :P

Eeh, by gum.

ThrustJetViperPowerMustang: FX-6100 @4.4GHz (Stock Cooler) / 4x4GB Hyperam @ 1333MHz / OCZ Octane 250GB SSD / Asus HD6670 2GDDR3 / Asus M5A78LM-USB3

Thanks you all for the support and help, I have just contacted my local PC shop as they're the ones who told me that the M5A97 Asus Mobo was compatible with my CPU (Which it isn't), So they've arranged to buy a new motherboard and do a swap with the current one. Funny how he was telling me that the problem was the RAM or windows 10, Disappointed with them. Alos this is my new fourm of choice, Getting lost of replys that really helped, Better than Tom's Hardware any day :) +1

Is the HDD activity light still flashing?  Maybe your system is trying to write to or read from the hard disk and it is just in a wait state it has not actually crashed..

Soups goto :- "is the HDD ok?" .

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"