IM FREAKING OUT

Go to solution Solved by harrynowl,

I've got thermal paste and other crap on the bottom of my cpus and I just clean them off with some alcohol and they work fine.

I was looking at the bottom of my CPU, and long story short I got a small bit of saliva on the bottom of my CPU. I have an Intel processor which doesn't have pins anymore, but when I went to very carefully wipe it off, it left a little streak in the gold contacts and it is seeable when it is shined in the light. 

DID I BREAK MY CPU???

My Baby Girl ❤️CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X | Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX | RAM: 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Case: Fractal Design Core 3500 | HDD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Adata SP900 512GB PSU: EVGA 650G 80+ Gold Full Modular | OS: Windows 10

There shouldn't be any permanent damage, but you should clean the spot with a Q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol. If there is conductivity between contacts that could be bad news, I don't know what residue saliva leaves behind. If you clean it with alcohol before running it in a system you should be fine.

I was looking at the bottom of my CPU, and long story short I got a small bit of saliva on the bottom of my CPU. I have an Intel processor which doesn't have pins anymore, but when I went to very carefully wipe it off, it left a little streak in the gold contacts and it is seeable when it is shined in the light.

DID I BREAK MY CPU???

How long has it been there, im not sure if the rice trick would work if its in the socket, if its on the cpu, i would be very careful in putting it in rice to dry, and clean it with a lint free whipe after, i take no responsibility for damage as im not sure the cpu will react to the rice in the same safe manner as phones. How long has the smear been on it?

R5 5600   Asus ROG Strix RTX2060   B550  Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4   Kingston A2000 1TB M.2    Kingston UV400 SSD   NZXT H510 Flow

Possibly, and by possibly I mean yes.... Most of the time getting ANYTHING on the connectors will mess them up.

Sorry for you loss....

Trying on a cheap motherboard would be recommended (But I see you have a XEON family chip so that may not be possible.)

Ah, trying the ole spit shine method, are ya?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

How long has it been there, im not sure if the rice trick would work if its in the socket, if its on the cpu, i would be very careful in putting it in rice to dry, and clean it with a lint free whipe after, i take no responsibility for damage as im not sure the cpu will react to the rice in the same safe manner as phones. How long has the smear been on it?

For like a couple of minutes.

My Baby Girl ❤️CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X | Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX | RAM: 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Case: Fractal Design Core 3500 | HDD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Adata SP900 512GB PSU: EVGA 650G 80+ Gold Full Modular | OS: Windows 10

I saw an old post of someone getting thermal paste on their gold contacts. He was told to just clean it off and in the end it worked. Should I just do that with mine?

There shouldn't be any permanent damage, but you should clean the spot with a Q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol. If there is conductivity between contacts that could be bad news, I don't know what residue saliva leaves behind. If you clean it with alcohol before running it in a system you should be fine.

Do this, let dry thoroughly hope for best.

Its all you got

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

For like a couple of minutes.

Just take some isopropyl to it lightly and let it dry thoroughly (like 5-10 hours at least) then try it out. Gotta find out somehow, and if it wasn't running you should probably be ok, but you never know.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Ok, I think I'm going to let it dry overnight, get some isopropyl tomorrow, and clean it off. The rest of my build does not arrive until later this week, so hopefully it'll work when I try to build it.

I'm sure that if you clean it off and make sure that it is dry it will be just fine

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

I used isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip to clean off the bottom, but I still see a small streak across the gold contacts. I'm guessing it's because it's still a little wet so should I just dry it out?

You are freaking out about nothing. it will be ok. If you are worried, ever so lightly try to clean it with an alcohol saturated Q-tip or a folded up coffee filter (fold in half, then fold in half again for a "triangle") at a low gentle angle and very very lightly dab across the streak you are worried about. It really is a non-issue.