what type of code should I use?

cakez
Go to solution Solved by exhaustedbrit,

Thank you so since you said I have to be more specific I'll ask what code should I use for complex robots and what should I use for simple robots?

It depends entirely on what you mean by complex robots. Robotics can range from very simple kits to bespoke units that have custom hardware and are written usually in C down to machine code. You could grab yourself a raspberry pi and control motors using the GPIO pins, this would be using Python or some other widely supported platform by the community. Or if you are more serious and adventurous, you might choose not to use a raspberry pi, or write in a lower level language that compiles straight down to the CPU. There's no simple way to answer this as I'm not a robotics engineer, but the raspberry pi route will be much easier. Otherwise you will be constructing machinery and debugging on hardware a select few individuals will understand at a very low level. Experimenting on the Raspberry Pi will be much much easier and forgiving. 

Hello,I'm new to coding and I wondering what type of code I should use for different things.For example what should I use for coding a website or what should I use for programming a robot?

Thx

-Will

html for a website and i started with python making random things like calculators and things 

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

html for a website and i started with python making random things like calculators and things 

thx for the response I'll leave the topic unanswered because I want to here from other people :)

Programming a robot would depend entirely on how the robot functions. You could be using Arduinos and have to write in Python or maybe lower level languages that compile down to the chip architecture. It's a very broad question to ask but it would most definitely be in the realms of Python, C based languages like C++.

For websites however,

You would use HTML/CSS and JavaScript (not Java) for the presentation layer.

For the logic if you are serving application pages (login functionality etc..) you might use PHP (.php) if you are hosting on Apache, or C# .NET (.apsx) if you are hosting on Microsoft's IIS. There are many other alternatives, but PHP and C# are the most common languages in the web, followed to Java Servlet Pages (.jsp) and Ruby on Rails. Or even JavaScript if you are using node.js

If you are starting out and want to get into web development, you can try some simple PHP tutorials online. Or alternatively, you could download Visual Studio Community Edition and learn C#/ASP .NET. Both are sought after skills in the industry.

Platform agnostic software engineer & small business owner. 

im learning to code right now and im starting with python because i wnat to make games like like 2d scrollers nothing fancey 

If you're looking for a hobby, then HTML/CSS/Javascript/Python for web design and robot software. If you're looking for a career, then PHP, ASP.net for web development, Java, C++ or (vomits slightly into back of throat) C# .Net if you're feeling adventurous for making a robot

Eeh, by gum.

ThrustJetViperPowerMustang: FX-6100 @4.4GHz (Stock Cooler) / 4x4GB Hyperam @ 1333MHz / OCZ Octane 250GB SSD / Asus HD6670 2GDDR3 / Asus M5A78LM-USB3

Programming a robot would depend entirely on how the robot functions. You could be using Arduinos and have to write in Python or maybe lower level languages that compile down to the chip architecture. It's a very broad question to ask but it would most definitely be in the realms of Python, C based languages like C++.

For websites however,

You would use HTML/CSS and JavaScript (not Java) for the presentation layer.

For the logic if you are serving application pages (login functionality etc..) you might use PHP (.php) if you are hosting on Apache, or C# .NET (.apsx) if you are hosting on Microsoft's IIS. There are many other alternatives, but PHP and C# are the most common languages in the web, followed to Java Servlet Pages (.jsp) and Ruby on Rails. Or even JavaScript if you are using node.js

If you are starting out and want to get into web development, you can try some simple PHP tutorials online. Or alternatively, you could download Visual Studio Community Edition and learn C#/ASP .NET. Both are sought after skills in the industry.

Thank you so since you said I have to be more specific I'll ask what code should I use for complex robots and what should I use for simple robots?

It depends entirely on what you mean by complex robots. Robotics can range from very simple kits to bespoke units that have custom hardware and are written usually in C down to machine code. You could grab yourself a raspberry pi and control motors using the GPIO pins, this would be using Python or some other widely supported platform by the community. Or if you are more serious and adventurous, you might choose not to use a raspberry pi, or write in a lower level language that compiles straight down to the CPU. There's no simple way to answer this as I'm not a robotics engineer, but the raspberry pi route will be much easier. Otherwise you will be constructing machinery and debugging on hardware a select few individuals will understand at a very low level. Experimenting on the Raspberry Pi will be much much easier and forgiving. 

what code do you think I should use for a very coomplex robot.That means the code should let me program freely and shouldn't have  a lot of safety features, it should also give me high level control

what code do you think I should use for a very coomplex robot.That means the code should let me program freely and shouldn't have  a lot of safety features, it should also give me high level control

I can't help you with that, because that depends entirely on what hardware you choose to use. Likely you will be best of learning C++ as most ARM compilers are fine with this and these are the kind of low power chips you'd use on a robot. But again, for a very complex robot - that all depends on what you choose to use and as such I can't tell you what you should use without building a robot for you.