Enigmatic Video Card installation?

So my friend has this weird problem after purchasing and installing an ASUS GTX 970 STRIX OC on his P67 AsRock Extreme 4 Gen 3 mobo. He's running a 2600k, 8GB 1333Mhz G.Skill, 750w Antec psu, etc.etc. So initially there was no display from the 970. Then troubleshooting began and to no avail. About to give up and call it a DOA, we tried flashing the bios, uninstalling the driver for the 560 Ti, etc. and for some weird reason that I can't even fathom the 970 will only work if the 560 Ti is in the second PCIe slot.... and if the 560 Ti is removed while the PC is on (I know that's probably not the best thing to do but fuck it) it still displays but when the PC is restarted there is no display again until we turn it off and reinstall the 560 Ti and turn it on again... the 970 works flawless but it's as if the motherboard won't accept it unless it has the 560 Ti in there with it... I'm almost dumbfounded but I'm assuming it's a bios issue with this older chipset. This still doesn't make sense though..

So my friend has this weird problem after purchasing and installing an ASUS GTX 970 STRIX OC on his P67 AsRock Extreme 4 Gen 3 mobo. He's running a 2600k, 8GB 1333Mhz G.Skill, 750w Antec psu, etc.etc. So initially there was no display from the 970. Then troubleshooting began and to no avail. About to give up and call it a DOA, we tried flashing the bios, uninstalling the driver for the 560 Ti, etc. and for some weird reason that I can't even fathom the 970 will only work if the 560 Ti is in the second PCIe slot.... and if the 560 Ti is removed while the PC is on (I know that's probably not the best thing to do but fuck it) it still displays but when the PC is restarted there is no display again until we turn it off and reinstall the 560 Ti and turn it on again... the 970 works flawless but it's as if the motherboard won't accept it unless it has the 560 Ti in there with it... I'm almost dumbfounded but I'm assuming it's a bios issue with this older chipset. This still doesn't make sense though..

You remove hardware from a running PC? Are you out of your mind?  :o

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

You remove hardware from a running PC? Are you out of your mind?  :o

We both were at the time. It was very frustrating. Nothing bad happened the 5 to 7 times we did lol. I know it's pretty much forbidden to do something like that if you don't want anything failing or possibly shorting how somehow. The 560 Ti is fucked though either way because the fans aren't working at all and at idle it's getting at around 70+ and during gaming it hits over 100 C then it shuts off. 

It's either your 970 is faulty or the modo is really just rejecting the 970...But It's really really hard to believe that mobo will picking graphics card,I putted a 980 in my X58 rig,dunno why,just for fun I guess...still Plug n' Play...Have you try that 970 with other PCs?

It's either your 970 is faulty or the modo is really just rejecting the 970...But It's really really hard to believe that mobo will picking graphics card,I putted a 980 in my X58 rig,dunno why,just for fun I guess...still Plug n' Play...Have you try that 970 with other PCs?

Yeah, it has to be the mobo.. I have the card in my rig right now which is a Z77 chipset. No problem. That's really weird though, X58 is first gen and this is like among the second gen chipsets of mobos for the core i series of intel CPUs

Did you uninstall the 560ti driver then install the 970 driver?

Sorry, I didn't read that correctly. I meant yes I did.