Computer recommendation

Savage

Hi. I would like to get some advices about a workstation computer config. It would be used for AutoCAD 2008, AutoCAD Inventor 2014 and Catia. Will i7 4770 be good enough or do you recommend extreme edition or Xeon processors? Also CUDA vs. OpenCL (nVidia vs. AMD)?

As far as I know an i7 4770k will bring an advantage over an i5 but I'd say a 2011 Socket will probably benefit you even more.

And as far as I know OpenCL is faster than Cuda if well integrated of course.

But I'm not an expert on CAD and so on ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

For workstation computer go with Socket 2011 processor and motherboard

On the CUDA vs OpenCL you should check if the programs you intend to use have better support for one or the other

Thank you guys for your replies. However, I was hoping to get replies from people who work with something that resembles my request.

I am following Linus for a long time now and he is so full of it when it comes to praising this forum. This is why I hoped to get a good and accurate answer here.

Mods, please be kind enough to lock this thread.

Chill man. They're trying to help you. No need to freak out.

FX 8150 @ 4.0 GHz, MSI Radeon 7850 OC Edition, 2 x 4 gigs of GSkill Sniper ddr3 at 2133 MHz, two 120 gig Kingston HyperX 3K ssds, Crosshair V Formula, Antec High Current Gamer 620 watt psu, all wrapped up inside a Cooler Master CM Storm Stryker.

Savage that was entirely way too rude. These nice people did their best to help you!!! When I get home I'll try and find your answer for you.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

Thank you guys for your replies. However, I was hoping to get replies from people who work with something that resembles my request.

I am following Linus for a long time now and he is so full of it when it comes to praising this forum. This is why I hoped to get a good and accurate answer here.

Mods, please be kind enough to lock this thread.

You don't have to be so rude. Relax. Someone will come along that will know exactly what you're looking for. Not everyone works with AutoCAD and Catia, you know.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Why do all of you say I was rude? The first thing I said was thanking them for replies. I wasn't sarcastic.

But I needed replies from people who do run that kind of workstations for CAD applications. People who have real-life, hands-on experience with the CUDA vs. OpenCl experience regarding the CAD.

The part I found super rude was when you attacked this forum. The rest wasnt nice but I can look past it.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

Read this to get an idea of the kind of information we're looking for: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-reccomendations-please-read-before-posting/

It helps us help you.

How heavy is your workload? What kind of projects are you doing?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I use Auto CAD, Solid works, and Master Cam daily for my job as a CNC Engineer/programmer. The workstation i built uses an i7-3770K Ivy bridge, an Asus Sabertooth Z77 board, 32GB 1866Mhz Corsair platinum RAM, and a PNY Nvidia Quadro K5000 4GB card. If your not using it for gaming, i recommend getting a good Quadro card, they are much better suited for CAD/Drafting/3D/animation work, but they are MUCH more expensive because they are specifically designed for graphic/video software interface and Nvidia provides better support than OpenCL. 

Current Rig as of 7/30/13

A10-6800k, Asrock Extreme 6, 16GB Kingston Hyper X 2133Mhz RAM, Asus 2GB 7770, OCZ vertex 4 128GB SSD, 2TB Barracuda HDD, Rosewill Hive 750 watt supply, and CM Storm Trooper case.

Why do all of you say I was rude? The first thing I said was thanking them for replies. I wasn't sarcastic.

But I needed replies from people who do run that kind of workstations for CAD applications. People who have real-life, hands-on experience with the CUDA vs. OpenCl experience regarding the CAD.

This part:

"I am following Linus for a long time now and he is so full of it when it comes to praising this forum. This is why I hoped to get a good and accurate answer here."

And also, the thing about having a mod lock the question. Give it time, they will come.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

This part:

"I am following Linus for a long time now and he is so full of it when it comes to praising this forum. This is why I hoped to get a good and accurate answer here."

And also, the thing about having a mod lock the question. Give it time, they will come.

I agree  with the first part but I don't agree with the locking

I use Auto CAD, Solid works, and Master Cam daily for my job as a CNC Engineer/programmer. The workstation i built uses an i7-3770K Ivy bridge, an Asus Sabertooth Z77 board, 32GB 1866Mhz Corsair platinum RAM, and a PNY Nvidia Quadro K5000 4GB card. If your not using it for gaming, i recommend getting a good Quadro card, they are much better suited for CAD/Drafting/3D/animation work, but they are MUCH more expensive because they are specifically designed for graphic/video software interface and Nvidia provides better support than OpenCL. 

I disagree I know for a fact since ati days that the amd firepower graphics card is just as good as NVidia for engineering , graphics design plus medical usage

We all must listen & learn

OK so you want a workstation computer and want to know what we other members here can recommend,

First off i run and use Audodesk inventor 2010 and do a lot of video editing etc.

Please can you answer a few basic questions so we can get an idea of something that that would suit your needs for the budget you have.

Do you have a preferance to which CPU like Intel or AMD?

what is your budget?

what form factor do you prefer?

Do you want liquid cooling or other special requests?

What operating system do you intend to use?

got to love Asus components

The only thing we can agree on is that a was kinda harsh on Linus for advertising too much. I am a long time follower and he always talks great numbers about the forum.

I did say thank you to people who replies and I asked politely for thread locking. The forums that I follow use thread locking to avoid useless flame wars between fanboys (AMD vs. Intel, AMD vs. nVidia, etc.).

@Stephie_Girl

If you work in similar environment, I would appreciate your input ;)

@WoodenMarker

That topic doesn't help too much. I am trying to help out a friend. Not too sure about the budget. Will explain a little better later in the post.

@asusfan

I guess my preference is not important here. I am an Intel fan, but I don't know if those CAD apps are Piledriver buch-of-cores friendly. It is not about my preference, but CAD apps preference. If they do benefit from multicore CPU and work better with AMD, then AMD it is.

Not sure about the budget yet. I think no micro ATX. If maybe some expansion in needed one day... Since I think the budget will not allow high end components, I was thinkink no OC, no watercooling. Not sure about OS. My guess would be Win8.

xx-Grim-One-xx and ShadowRaven gave their opinions. The only problem is that they are opposing ones.

Since I don't have a budget (need to make a few options at a few price points) so I needed general information about those programs.
First thing I did is I looked for benchmarks at Anandtech, but I didn't find CAD related tests.
I would say that no matter the price range, the same generation cards should work similarly. Either Cuda works better or AMD raw power is better. Or the apps are balanced for both. Quadro is out of reach, I think. 7970 or GTX 770 would be as good as it gets.

What I would recommend is an I7-3930K+GTX titan.  If you can budget those, the Titan has the extra Vram for professional applications as well as gaming, but is cheaper than a Quadro.  I don't know prices tho, and if he/she is just doing professional work, there might be a cheaper quadro/fire pro card out there that can do better than the Titan.  I've generally heard that Open CL is pretty much the way to go especially since main stream programs like Adobe switched to it.  But I guess it depends on each program and how they execute.  Wow that was a mouthful to say :)

If your wanting high performance for work applications, which you do, then you pretty much need to build the best performance machine to your budget, however you say you don't know a budget, so the only thing i could suggest is to make a list of 3 options (cheap, happy medium and extreme)

You also say that liquid cooling not required, however most high performance machines now use closed loop liquid cooler systems as it does the job, makes for space inside the case and looks smart.

If you prefer and just want air cooled that's still possible, but don't recommend the stock cooler.

One thing you decided you want ATX so that makes it easier. and will try to put in a 32 gig memory kit for the extreme edition :) or more :P

I will try to make some recommendations up later as have to go to work next. 

got to love Asus components