Thinking about upgrading the audio for my PC

Orion3234

Ah I see, thanks mate. I did send you a PM so maybe we can go into more detail there.

le snip

If you want immersive surround sound, you need at least 4 channels (center not necessary for a single listener) or headphones (optionally with decent virtual surround processing somewhere in the signal chain). 2-chanel can provide excellent imaging and soundstage, but you won't really be able to get true front-to-back imaging.

If you want immersive surround sound, you need at least 4 channels (center not necessary for a single listener) or headphones (optionally with decent virtual surround processing somewhere in the signal chain). 2-chanel can provide excellent imaging and soundstage, but you won't really be able to get true front-to-back imaging.

I think my headset has that as it does put out some good sound... Good quality that is, I haven't really noticed the sound being lower than the speakers so the headset is at least on par with what's coming from the speakers which probably doesn't say much.

Yeah. I've never had one of those moments when listening to speakers where I look behind me because the song played a trick on me, so that's why I don't think it's a thing.

I've studied the theoretical physics behind it, and I've been tricked enough times to hear it.

Yeah, in arma 3, I hear crickets behind me, and I turn around. That won't happen without rear speakers

Yup. That or nice headphones.

But I agree actual surround sound and headphones are the most consistent and easiest ways to get spacial imaging in sound (and it turns out my computer autocorrected "spacial" to "special." It doesn't think spacial is a word).

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

Unless you have the whole room dedicated to your PC you will most likely be better off with headphones over speakers for surround sound gaming, since surround sound is heavily dependent on sounding good from the way it is positioned in your room. If you want a good 2.0 or 2.1 desk setup however, that is something I can recommend things for.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Unless you have the whole room dedicated to your PC you will most likely be better off with headphones over speakers for surround sound gaming, since surround sound is heavily dependent on sounding good from the way it is positioned in your room. If you want a good 2.0 or 2.1 desk setup however, that is something I can recommend things for.

Not just that, as room reflections can have a pretty big effect on sound too.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Not just that, as room reflections can have a pretty big effect on sound too.

True, how you set it up can affect the end results.. All one need do is visit a Cinema to hear the differences in having speakers surround you versus speakers set up only in front of or tor the sides of a person.

Waste of money mate, if you have a decent mobo you defo have a decent integrated 5.1 chip on it so just buy a decent speakers or headphones, don't waste money on SPU as it is a simply rip off.

Read the thread, I shipped him the Xonar Phoebus he was looking at so he can put more money into a decent speaker setup.

I'm not particularly too familiar with speaker setups, I'm more of an audio guru in the headphone side of the world and just run AudioEngine A5+ which are good, but veeeery overpriced for the sound they produce.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

I do read the thread, and i do understand, don't care you sent him something all i'm saying it's a waste of money in my opinion, that's all.

Yea, and it's an opinion that I can respect just as I respect everyone else's opinions and advice.

Read the thread, I shipped him the Xonar Phoebus he was looking at so he can put more money into a decent speaker setup.

I'm not particularly too familiar with speaker setups, I'm more of an audio guru in the headphone side of the world and just run AudioEngine A5+ which are good, but veeeery overpriced for the sound they produce.

To be honest, I'm not that familiar with speaker setups either and like Sobe, I also use my headset but I only do so at night so I don't disturb my parents in the living room when they're trying to watch TV or sleep.

So really not sure what price-point good speakers would start at or really what constitutes "good" speakers.

For starting off I would suggest just picking these up since they are currently on sale for a pretty good price. 

They are ounly 2.0 speakers, but the only decent 5.1 setup you would find for $200 can only be found in a very lucky craigslist find.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

For starting off I would suggest just picking these up since they are currently on sale for a pretty good price. 

They are ounly 2.0 speakers, but the only decent 5.1 setup you would find for $200 can only be found in a very lucky craigslist find.

These are excellent speakers. Excellent.

Like I did.

7.1 Onkyo receiver for 15$, 4 Polk r15 satalights for 95$, subwoofer isn't that Good though

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

These are excellent speakers. Excellent.

Someone has done it right for once! :) lol

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

If talking 2.0/2.1 setups, is the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 relevant anymore for that price segment? I know they were "all the rage" some years ago.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

If talking 2.0/2.1 setups, is the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 relevant anymore for that price segment? I know they were "all the rage" some years ago.

That's a good question... With how technology evolves these days, it's probably yesterday's news. :| I think I just need a set with a real subwoofer included like either of these sets:

5.1:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0S6-000Y-00006

2.0/21:

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-SW-G2-1-1250-Speaker-System/dp/B0056BPUQC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1444343279&sr=1-1&keywords=genius+gx+gaming+sw-g2.1+1250+38+watts+rms+2.1+speaker+system

For 2.1 I thought this one was cool even tho it's black/blue and not black/red:

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-SW-G2-1-2000-Subwoofer-Sattelite/dp/B00K5NYNWS/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1444343279&sr=1-2&keywords=genius+gx+gaming+sw-g2.1+1250+38+watts+rms+2.1+speaker+system What I thought was cool is the scorpion lights up with the bass so it stays lit in tune with however long the bass note is.

That's a good question... With how technology evolves these days, it's probably yesterday's news. :| I think I just need a set with a real subwoofer included like either of these sets:

5.1:

2.0/21:

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-SW-G2-1-1250-Speaker-System/dp/B0056BPUQC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1444343279&sr=1-1&keywords=genius+gx+gaming+sw-g2.1+1250+38+watts+rms+2.1+speaker+system

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-SW-G2-1-2000-Subwoofer-Sattelite/dp/B00K5NYNWS/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1444343279&sr=1-2&keywords=genius+gx+gaming+sw-g2.1+1250+38+watts+rms+2.1+speaker+system What I thought was cool is the scorpion lights up with the bass so it stays lit in tune with however long the bass note is.

Do whatever you wish, but I am just letting you know your money will go along a lot farther with a nice 2.0 system than a 5.1, which you can add a sub later. 

Gotta weight in on the 2.0 vs surround speaker debate.  

While the shape of the ear and your "special" imaging is pretty spiffy (iv never heard of it)...  What your forgetting is that your head is not immobilized, in fact your head is constantly moving and when you hear something you subconsciously cock your head to some degree.  This cocking of the head changes the relative position between you and the source in a unique way that allows for 3 dimensional positioning.

As for headphones, its all in your head LITERALLY :)   The sound you hear in each ear does not contain forward and back up or down direction data.  There simply is not enough information for you to determine where it came from with CERTAINTY.  BUT our brains are very cool, we remember extrapolate and guess constantly filling in holes and placing objects very accurately where they should be.

A very simple way of looking at is triangulation, when only 2 sources are available for positioning computers are able to take the assumption of "hes on the ground" to remove the vertical variable and where you were a second ago to position you front to back.   Without a third receiver you cannot explicitly triangulate a position in space.

Its a really bizarre concept but our brains fill in all kinds of holes in our perception.  EX: every eye has a blind spot, you don't see it because your brain fills it in.  Your peripheral vision is color blind but you don't know it because your brain fills it in.  

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

5.1:

2.0/21:

Thoes are kinda meh.

I wouldent kall thouse real subwoofers

The klipsch promedia 2.1 is probably better than thoes.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

While the shape of the ear and your "special" imaging is pretty spiffy (iv never heard of it)...  What your forgetting is that your head is not immobilized, in fact your head is constantly moving and when you hear something you subconsciously cock your head to some degree.  This cocking of the head changes the relative position between you and the source in a unique way that allows for 3 dimensional positioning.

It helps but is not required. Even then, the HRTF is responsible for perception of spatial sound cues.

• 3 weeks later...

Thoes are kinda meh.

I wouldent kall thouse real subwoofers

The klipsch promedia 2.1 is probably better than thoes.

Yea... I think I do want something with a real subwoofer to it and not another one of those plastic fake or "simulated" ones... or whatever they call those tho I'm more interested in a setup that's more suited for gaming and watching videos which are the 2 main things I do with my PC. That said, I'll look more into those you suggested.