Any love for Xenoblade Chronicles here on the forum?

I haven't met a lot of people who have played this game, but man, does that massive, gorgeous open-world blow me away. The story and characters were rather incredible too. It's a shame all the side-content was kill-and-fetch, besides perhaps three proper side-quests in the entire game. Even so, it's probably my favourite game to date.

Does anybody else share in my fondness for the title?

I still have to play the first Xenoblade on the Wii (don't have it and want to find it.. for a decent price and not 70 euros or something) and don't even have a Wii U or New 3DS to play the other games..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I haven't played much of it, like maybe 2-3 hours worth (I really need to go back and play it, it's just that stupid boss in the cave when you're leaving the first area) and it seems a lot like what I would imagine an mmo made into a single player game would be like. In terms of combat, quests, and items I mean.

It was fun while I played it though.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

I haven't played much of it, like maybe 2-3 hours worth (I really need to go back and play it, it's just that stupid boss in the cave when you're leaving the first area) and it seems a lot like what I would imagine an mmo made into a single player game would be like. In terms of combat, quests, and items I mean.

It was fun while I played it though.

Oh boy, you're missing a ton. Still, unless you have an incredible amount of skill (which is hard to acquire with this game), you will need to level up to get past certain obstacles, and grinding is definitely a pain. I wish this game had taken a cue from The Witcher series and fleshed out its world with more unique side-quests that reward you with more XP than grinds.

Questing does throw you a bit of XP, though, and there are quests in the starting area that pair them with boss battles (unique enemies).

I have a Wii U, and I have X on preorder.

I was talking about the original. From what I've seen of the new game, I don't think it holds a matchstick -let alone a candle- to the original. See if you can get your hands on a used copy- I think it's one of the few games that might be worth a typically unreasonable $100 ($60 used). 

I have only played the intro. But I do want to get the game a try. 

Also, "I'm really feeling it!"

It might be cheaper just to get the NEW 3DS version of the game. But that means I'd have to buy a NEW 3DS

Oh boy, you're missing a ton. Still, unless you have an incredible amount of skill (which is hard to acquire with this game), you will need to level up to get past certain obstacles, and grinding is definitely a pain. I wish this game had taken a cue from The Witcher series and fleshed out its world with more unique side-quests that reward you with more XP than grinds.

Questing does throw you a bit of XP, though, and there are quests in the starting area that pair them with boss battles (unique enemies).

That was probably what it was. I usually end up really interested in the story and want to see where it goes next and end up rushing into battles I'm not strong enough for yet because I'm trying to hurry the story along. It's also why I miss a lot of extra content in most games.

If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

I don't wanna get another 3Ds to play it, so if they have it on the wii shop or eshop I'll dl it.  I think a copy is expensive even in the states due to a somewhat rarity of the game.

It was extremely expensive for a while because there was only a single run of the game and it was really highly rated. It was like that for a while, then gamestop did a couple extra runs to try to cash in on it by selling the game at a 'cheap' $90. The last time I looked, they were back down to regular prices.

44 is the lowest without calculating in shipping from what I've seen so far.

I would say that that is normal :P

I still have to play the first Xenoblade on the Wii (don't have it and want to find it.. for a decent price and not 70 euros or something) and don't even have a Wii U or New 3DS to play the other games..

I get the impression you have a Wii and the controllers.  Go download the Dolphin emulator, and get a $12US USB-powered sensor bar.  Play it on your computer... plug your computer into your TV.  

I get the impression you have a Wii and the controllers.  Go download the Dolphin emulator, and get a $12US USB-powered sensor bar.  Play it on your computer... plug your computer into your TV.  

Xenoblade Chronicles doesn't utilize any of the Wii remote's motion capabilities, so you'll be fine with a Bluetooth connection or just playing the game with a keyboard.

Of course, this depends on how comfortable you are with illegally acquiring a copy of the game.

For now.  I have a feeling it will skyrocket once x is out. xD

I'm not too certain of that. X hasn't been received too well compared to its predecessor, and unless Monolith Soft goes to hell and back trying to cram 'PLAY THE LAST GAME' signs into the international release, it's likely that Xenoblade will, sadly, continue to fade into obscurity.

I don't think my PC can handle Dolphin :(

(But yeah, got a Wii and stuff)

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That can also jack the price overtime.

It isn't even in print anymore. Way to take advantage of that legacy support on the Wii U, guys.

The situation leaves me at a bit of a crossroads. I could only wish for the game to be more popular, so we could get a re-release, or maybe even a remake. However, that would kill the novelty of it being a more obscure game. I can't decide what I'd like more.

I don't think my PC can handle Dolphin :(

(But yeah, got a Wii and stuff)

What cpu and gpu do you have?

What cpu and gpu do you have?

AMD Athlon X2 255 (That's a dual core from 2011 or something) and an Nvidia Quadro 410 (that's a 512MB VRAM GU based on the GTX 650)

AMD Athlon X2 255 (That's a dual core from 2011 or something) and an Nvidia Quadro 410 (that's a 512MB VRAM GU based on the GTX 650)

Did you consider the upgrade to a Phenom II?

Did you consider the upgrade to a Phenom II?

Yes.

But those chips are hard to come by and not cheap at all where I live.

Even if I find one online, it is around 90 euros.. Which does not make it great value IMO and makes me want to save up for i3 4160+cheap mobo..

I've got the New 3DS version. I started to play it but due to issues I was having at the time (sound and comfort), I didn't continue.

I don't like using the built in speakers so I wear headphones. Problem is, I don't wear earbuds (regular ones won't stay in and canal types give me ear problems) and the 3DS doesn't exactly have the juice to power a set of Philips SHP9500 headphones. Also, playing on handhelds for extended periods hurts my hands real bad. I've since solved both problems by getting a headphone amp and a grip but I've been busy playing other stuff. I'll get back to it eventually. Maybe after Tales of Zesteria. Can't wait for that to come out.

I've got the New 3DS version. I started to play it but due to issues I was having at the time (sound and comfort), I didn't continue.

I don't like using the built in speakers so I wear headphones. Problem is, I don't wear earbuds (regular ones won't stay in and canal types give me ear problems) and the 3DS doesn't exactly have the juice to power a set of Philips SHP9500 headphones. Also, playing on handhelds for extended periods hurts my hands real bad. I've since solved both problems by getting a headphone amp and a grip but I've been busy playing other stuff. I'll get back to it eventually. Maybe after Tales of Zesteria. Can't wait for that to come out.

They had to significantly nerf the game to play on the 3DS, and besides a few gimmicky features like the jukebox and the 3d model viewer, not much has been added to the game.

I would definitely recommend trying to find a used copy of the Wii version- while it's bound to set you back a little, the hundreds of hours of content you'll get are well worth it. It's a shame there's no way to buy it any longe- oh my god, I just found out that it's available on the Wii U virtual console! This makes me a very happy person.

All ye souls who have been avoiding buying a used copy because of the price kick- here's your solution.

Well, the Wii version is not available on the eShop in the US. Only in Europe and I'm not paying for a used physical copy especially since I just learned it's developed by the same people as Xenogears and Xenosaga. I'm not a fan of Xenosaga (I don't hate it, but I was very disappointed with it) but a friend of mine told me how great Xenogears was and was way better..... I wanna choke him. I sank 50 hours into that game before I gave up. The first 25-30 hours are OK but, when you start saying "when the hell does this end?", you have a problem. I don't mind a long game. Dragon Quest VIII took me over 85 hours to complete but I love that game. Xenogears just turned stupid and annoying. Suddenly removing all exploration and just dumping the player in generic dungeons and boss fights broken up by 30 minute long "cut scenes" that are boring as hell is bad game design.

I'm now worried and less enthusiastic to play Xenoblade. It does seem better designed than the previous Xeno games and what few scenes I saw appeared to be considerably less boring, I'm still kinda worried though. I already own it, so I am going to play it. Though, if I didn't already have it, I probably wouldn't buy it unless it was cheap.

BTW, I brought all this up because I actually JUST quit playing Xenogears and was looking up how the story ended cause I still wanted to know. I just didn't feel like dragging myself through what looked like another 10-15 hours if the guide I was reading was any indicator.

upgrading to a new 3DS soon, and I'm probably going to pick it up as well, after all the good I've heard about it!

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Well, the Wii version is not available on the eShop in the US. Only in Europe and I'm not paying for a used physical copy especially since I just learned it's developed by the same people as Xenogears and Xenosaga. I'm not a fan of Xenosaga (I don't hate it, but I was very disappointed with it) but a friend of mine told me how great Xenogears was and was way better..... I wanna choke him. I sank 50 hours into that game before I gave up. The first 25-30 hours are OK but, when you start saying "when the hell does this end?", you have a problem. I don't mind a long game. Dragon Quest VIII took me over 85 hours to complete but I love that game. Xenogears just turned stupid and annoying. Suddenly removing all exploration and just dumping the player in generic dungeons and boss fights broken up by 30 minute long "cut scenes" that are boring as hell is bad game design.

I'm now worried and less enthusiastic to play Xenoblade. It does seem better designed than the previous Xeno games and what few scenes I saw appeared to be considerably less boring, I'm still kinda worried though. I already own it, so I am going to play it. Though, if I didn't already have it, I probably wouldn't buy it unless it was cheap.

BTW, I brought all this up because I actually JUST quit playing Xenogears and was looking up how the story ended cause I still wanted to know. I just didn't feel like dragging myself through what looked like another 10-15 hours if the guide I was reading was any indicator.

Well, I've never played anything else Monolith Soft did. However, while Xenoblade was an extremely lengthy game, the ending was conclusive- so much so that I haven't found a reason to replay it yet (although I plan to have a go at the new game plus feature). As someone who's almost one-sided in his harsh critique of all narratives in fiction I encounter, my evaluation of Xenoblade's story is high praise.

It's true, there's a little grinding involved, but this isn't completely mindless. There isn't a variable difficulty level, and from what I've seen, pure player skill makes a world of difference- much more so than the character levels. However, if your character builds don't work out as well as you expected or you just plain suck at a few things (admittedly, I did), you may have to grind up a level or two. 

That is not to say it isn't interesting- the highest experience rewards come from a certain extended rebuilding set of quests, exploration, and taking on foes with levels way above yours using creative methods and ingenious tactics. Another great way to get experience and enjoy the game is to discover waypoints- a few of which are (absolutely gorgeous) 'Secret areas' that reward several times the XP of a regular discovery. This is my favourite method, as the world of Xenoblade Chronicles is massive, varied, and breathtakingly beautiful. Despite the several interconnected zones not being seamlessly joined, it still feels like one massive open world, with each zone being an enormous map, and boy, do they have atmosphere.

It is a little biased of me to say so, but I cannot praise the game's narrative and gameplay elements enough. Do consider checking it out, especially if you already own a copy, although from what I've heard, it's better experienced on the Wii than the 3DS.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't met a lot of people who have played this game, but man, does that massive, gorgeous open-world blow me away. The story and characters were rather incredible too. It's a shame all the side-content was kill-and-fetch, besides perhaps three proper side-quests in the entire game. Even so, it's probably my favourite game to date.

Does anybody else share in my fondness for the title?

YESSS! LOVE XENOBLADE :D

i have the 3ds version, AMAZING

and XEWNOBLADE CHRONICLES X is AMAZINGER. (yes I have played it) 

I am most definitely going to get a wii u :D

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: