Pop From PSU, now PC Won't Turn On

LobsterTheGreat

I recently upgraded my GPU to and R9 390. I have an 850 Watt PSU from Cooler Power. Im pretty certian the PSU died or something. I smelt this wierd burning smell after and the entire houses electricity went off lmao. I've checked the GPU and MOBO for anything suspicious but cant find anything. I think my parts are F*cked

RMA the PSU if you can

Otherwise get a new PSU. You will have to anyway.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Seems like you got a PSU worse than a CX.  I don't even know where to start.  I'll just let you see for yourself.  

http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/the-2013-el-cheapo-power-supply-roundup/6/

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Ummmm, yeh. Theres a good chance you just fried your comp :/

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

How did you think hooking up a 280W GPU to a cheapo chinese PSU was going to end?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Ummmm, yeh. Theres a good chance you just fried your comp :/

Seems like you got a PSU worse than a CX.  I don't even know where to start.  I'll just let you see for yourself.  

http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/the-2013-el-cheapo-power-supply-roundup/6/

Probably just a busted cap. You'd have to take apart the power supply to check, though.

RMA the PSU if you can

RMA the PSU if you can

And this is why children, good PSUs are recommended over cheapo crap

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

And this is why children, good PSUs are recommended over cheapo crap

HX650 is bae <33

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

HX650 is bae <33

SeaSonic Master Race

SeaSonic Master Race

I actually have no clue who the OEM behind HX series is, never bothered to look lmao :P

SeaSonic Master Race

Update: HX650 is made by SeaSonic :)

Maybe thats why is performs so nicely ^_^

Alright, thanks for the replies. I didn't initially build this PC and im fairly new to PC building. SO is there a chance that my stuff most importantly the GPU still work?

Alright, thanks for the replies. I didn't initially build this PC and im fairly new to PC building. SO is there a chance that my stuff most importantly the GPU still work?

I'd say slim seeing how bad the PSU is :/ - try and you'll know

Yes, there is. RMA psu, if u can, and get a seasonic next time.

The most reliable psu's for me.

Is there anyway I can see if my GPU is dead? I cant see anything that looks out of the ordinary 

Is there anyway I can see if my GPU is dead? I cant see anything that looks out of the ordinary 

Test in a different system - preferably with a good PSU

Probably just a busted cap. You'd have to take apart the power supply to check, though.

OP, do not do this. PSUs contain high-capacity capacitators, and as we all learned in physics class (or at least I did) those can be trouble. The PSU is probably the only part of a PC that can actually harm a person (unless you drop the whole thing on someone's head).

That's even more true for cheap chinese knockoffs. 

Just in case you were thinking about that.

OP, do not do this. PSUs contain high-capacity capacitators, and as we all learned in physics class (or at least I did) those can be trouble. The PSU is probably the only part of a PC that can actually harm a person (unless you drop the whole thing on someone's head).

Yeah. Don't kill yourself. As long as you don't go about connecting leads with two different coat-hangers in two different hands, you should be okay.

OP, do not do this. PSUs contain high-capacity capacitators, and as we all learned in physics class (or at least I did) those can be trouble. The PSU is probably the only part of a PC that can actually harm a person (unless you drop the whole thing on someone's head).

As long as you're careful to discharge the caps when you take it apart, and don't have it plugged in when you're doing it, it should be fine.

There's probably only 2 or 3 caps in the PSU that have a high enough voltage to actually cause harm.

If it's not connected to a power source, caps are the only thing you need to worry about.

IMO, you're making it sound waaaaaaay more dangerous than it actually is.

I'm not recommending that he do it, or not to take care, but it can easily be done safely.

As long as you're careful to discharge the caps when you take it apart, and don't have it plugged in when you're doing it, it should be fine.

There's probably only 2 or 3 caps in the PSU that have a high enough voltage to actually cause harm.

If it's not connected to a power source, caps are the only thing you need to worry about.

IMO, you're making it sound waaaaaaay more dangerous than it actually is.

I'm not recommending that he do it, or not to take care, but it can easily be done safely.

When handling electronics of known good quality and when you know what you're doing that's perfectly appropriate. However I absolutely don't trust whatever OP has in his case there, and I also don't know if he knows how to handle these things, so better safe than sorry.

Besides, there is no reason to open up the PSU anyway, even if it were safe.

If want take it apart read this first to do it safely. http://www.overclock.net/a/capacitor-safety-in-power-supplies

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin    

Get a new PSU ASAP! People here give me shit for the CX I own but this is on a while other level. I had a similar thing happen to me a few months ago but none of my components fried. Replace the PSU and see if it works, just get a new quality one.

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware.