Bitcoin Wallet too large

Iv been using the standard bitcoin wallet for some time now. I put it on a 16gb partition on an external drive, but thats almost full now. Iv been watching it as the block-chain grows, and im afraid ill run out of space. I could solve this problem by simply extending the partition, but a 10+ gig client that just holds my $20 worth of coins is kinda ridiculous.

Are there any good (and secure) alternatives out there? Id rather not need to download the entire block-chain, and id like to keep the total HDD requirement under about 5GB.

Thanks

~Judah

You only need to backup your wallet.dat file from %APPDATA%\Roaming\Bitcoin\wallet.dat

Via: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/8320/what-files-do-i-need-for-backing-up-my-wallet

and https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet

You can have your wallet running on your computer and just run a scheduled backup to your flash drive. you don;t need all of the chain block.

When you restore your .dat file on a new computer the bittcoin client will re download all of the block chain.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I have a 30gb boot drive, so it wont fit in the appdata folder. i made a symbolic link of the blockchain to the external drive so i wouldnt have to worry about the massive files

I guess a better way to phrase the question would be "are there any wallets out there that dont require you to have the blockchain?"

Im looking into an online wallet called "coinbase." Do you know if they are any good?

~Judah

I have a 30gb boot drive, so it wont fit in the appdata folder. i made a symbolic link of the blockchain to the external drive so i wouldnt have to worry about the massive files

I guess a better way to phrase the question would be "are there any wallets out there that dont require you to have the blockchain?"

Im looking into an online wallet called "coinbase." Do you know if they are any good?

I wouldn't trust any online wallet. If they end up going down the drain then your coins are all lost with it. As far as I know all wallets require the block chain data to be downloaded in order to verrify transactions. so you will probably have to make more space.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

It's always a better option to have it on your computer than it is to use an online wallet, or a wallet which uses a cloud blockchain.

When you rely on a cloud based blockchain, you are open to downtime, attack, and any number of problems. The more people that have the blockchain and keep it updated/running the more secure the overall network is.

Electrum, is probably what you're looking for.

http://electrum.org/

It keep the wallet file on your computer, but doesn't require the full blockchain to be downloaded. I've personally never used electrum but give it a try.

Coinbase is growing and proving itself reliable and secure so I wouldn't have too many concerns using their services.

I think the big question is, what do you want to do with your coins? If you are planning on just sitting on them for the future, you can make a paper wallet which will allow you to send bitcoins to that address, and check it's content via an online block explorer. such as http://blockchain.info/ by searching up the wallets public key.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I am trying to get a small collection going. just to sit on for now.

What is a paper wallet though? i havnt heard of that

~Judah

I am trying to get a small collection going. just to sit on for now.

What is a paper wallet though? i havnt heard of that

Example:

s4kv4.jpg

The equivalent of a credit card, essentially. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.