What are the main factors to consider when choosing a wifi router?

I would like to know what to look for when choosing a new router. I would also like to know if I would bottleneck my wifi experience if I have a 2.5ghz opposed to a 5ghz router. I would also like to know if my wifi experience would be bottlenecked if my wifi card and do the ac channel and my router can not do the ac channel. If it helps my router is a Linksys E1200 the Newegg link is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124412

I'd usually suggest getting each part separately. A router, a switch, an access point. But to be fair most people start with an all-in-one device and move from there. With that in mind this is what I'd suggest you look for.

1. Go for Dual-Band. You don't want your faster devices to be waiting for because someone is using the WiFi on an old console

2. Look for Gigabit ports. If you want to get a NAS or something down the road? You'll regret not having Gigabit ports.

3. Get something that's wireless AC. It's pretty cheap these days so you'd be foolish not to.

4. Don't buy into the spec hype too much. AC1900, AC3200 etc? You probably won't see any advantage. I'd say AC1200 is the sweet spot

5. Don't buy into claims about "better range". All of them perform within the same sort of ballpark and the ones which are better don't always advertise it

6. Read reviews about the model you settle on before you buy it. But don't be turned off by people offloading online too much.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I'd usually suggest getting each part separately. A router, a switch, an access point. But to be fair most people start with an all-in-one device and move from there. With that in mind this is what I'd suggest you look for.

1. Go for Dual-Band. You don't want your faster devices to be waiting for because someone is using the WiFi on an old console

2. Look for Gigabit ports. If you want to get a NAS or something down the road? You'll regret not having Gigabit ports.

3. Get something that's wireless AC. It's pretty cheap these days so you'd be foolish not to.

4. Don't buy into the spec hype too much. AC1900, AC3200 etc? You probably won't see any advantage. I'd say AC1200 is the sweet spot

5. Read reviews about the model you settle on before you buy it. But don't be turned off by people offloading online too much.

Dual band, pretty, fast, and large range. Gigabit ports are nice, but don't worry if you dont think there will be enough because you can get a gigabit switch for cheap.

I am new to networking could you explain to me what the difference between a router and an access point is

Dual band, pretty, fast, and large range. Gigabit ports are nice, but don't worry if you dont think there will be enough because you can get a gigabit switch for cheap.

I'd still strongly suggest going Gigabit from the start. Especially given that most people will stick with it until they run out of ports. And even when people do eventually get a switch there will still probably be a fair amount of traffic still going through that first combo unit.

I am new to networking could you explain to me what the difference between a router and an access point is

In a nutshell, what people usually call a "router" is often a combination of devices. Being a router is just one of the things that it is. The "router" is technically just the bit that sits between your modem and the rest of your network. The modem is the bit that translates your internet connection into something your network can understand. The switch is the bit that splits that single connection out into multiple points for the rest of your network. The access point allows you connect devices to your network wirelessly.

Because people want something simple we get combo units. Stuff like this: http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/modem-routers/D6200.aspx

.... but obviously they're not going to market that as an "ADSL2+ Modem, Gigabit Router, 4 port Gigabit switch, AC1200 access point combo". Instead the marketing just calls it a "AC1200 Modem Router" and puts the specifics on the back of the box. And because of that the average consumer has concluded that "router" means "that thing that does the WiFi"

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Range, speed, network management features...

I made the mistake of buying a 4-port switch with autoconfig a few years back and it's haunting me now...