2 audio sources

azurite2
Go to solution Solved by Shinrin_Cole,

How do I get to the sound from the line in, or will it just start playing?

You may have to go into your sound settings and unmute it and turn it up to a desirable volume. if it's too low on your computer and you hooked up from the microphone port on the TV, you can turn up the TV volume to help. If you don't hear anything out of line in after this, you may have to go into your sound settings click recording, right click on the line in and tell it to listen to the audio and this should work. I'm at work and can't tell you the correct option name right now. But it should work with option #1 off the bat.

So I have a ps3 and a computer, is there anyway to have a headset plugged into both, so I hear both audio sources?

CPU Intel Core i7-9700K MOBO ROG STRIX Z390-E RAM  G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition CASE  NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case STORAGE  Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 and Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM PSU Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX OS Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

So I have a ps3 and a computer, is there anyway to have a headset plugged into both, so I hear both audio sources?

I'd go ghetto style and use a bunch of headphone splitters. You could use line-in on your PC and pass the PS3 sound through it, but then in-game players won't hear you online. Some headsets have built-in audio splitting and joining functionality though (can't think of any off the top of my head).

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

There are a few ways to get sound from your PS3 to your computer so you can use the headphones on one device, if you have a headphone out on your and have a 3.5 mm plug to 3.5 mm plug cable, you can plug it in line in and you can get your PS3 sound that way. Or if you have the original audio/video cable ofthe PS3, you can get a Y connector to plug in the White and Red auido connector to 3.5 mm connector to the line in.

I have a special way of doing this with mine, but i also got audio coming from a PS4, 3DS, and Satellite reciever audio coming as well, thanks to a cheap audio video switcher, I can do this.  

I second the ghetto solution, a stereo y-cable (diy or amazon for around a buck) is probably the easiest and most convenient solution. One step up from that would be to get a passive mixer something like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SplitMix4?adpos=1o1&creative=55674776881&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CPGTxYulncgCFcQUHwodxysLfQ

These are super handy for splitting and mixing signals, they can go anywhere and ya don't even have to plug them in. I use an active mixer (meaning it does the mixing and amplification) and have half a dozen things going to half a dozen places so I can attest to the usefulness of a mixer over what quickly becomes a rats nest of splitters and adapters.

Butts. Booty butts.

There are a few ways to get sound from your PS3 to your computer so you can use the headphones on one device, if you have a headphone out on your and have a 3.5 mm plug to 3.5 mm plug cable, you can plug it in line in and you can get your PS3 sound that way. Or if you have the original audio/video cable ofthe PS3, you can get a Y connector to plug in the White and Red auido connector to 3.5 mm connector to the line in.

I have a special way of doing this with mine, but i also got audio coming from a PS4, 3DS, and Satellite reciever audio coming as well, thanks to a cheap audio video switcher, I can do this.  

CPU Intel Core i7-9700K MOBO ROG STRIX Z390-E RAM  G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition CASE  NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case STORAGE  Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 and Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM PSU Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX OS Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

You may have to go into your sound settings and unmute it and turn it up to a desirable volume. if it's too low on your computer and you hooked up from the microphone port on the TV, you can turn up the TV volume to help. If you don't hear anything out of line in after this, you may have to go into your sound settings click recording, right click on the line in and tell it to listen to the audio and this should work. I'm at work and can't tell you the correct option name right now. But it should work with option #1 off the bat.

Thank you so much, this worked perfectly!