New AMD Godaveri build

Build:

Gigabyte F2A88X-D3H motherboard

AMD A10-7870K APU

8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro series DDR3 2133mhz RAM

250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

I am using the stock CPU cooler and have three 120mm case fans running. Temps are all good. I am trying to overclock the RAM in this board to 2400mhz, as it is an APU and the on board graphics will benefit from higher speeds. As soon as I do this, I boot into windows and then hit a blue screen after about 5 mins. Please HELP?! 

This is my first build and first time trying to overclock!

Don't OC non-OCable RAM ._.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Build:

Gigabyte F2A88X-D3H motherboard

AMD A10-7870K APU

8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro series DDR3 2133mhz RAM

250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

I am using the stock CPU cooler and have three 120mm case fans running. Temps are all good. I am trying to overclock the RAM in this board to 2400mhz, as it is an APU and the on board graphics will benefit from higher speeds. As soon as I do this, I boot into windows and then hit a blue screen after about 5 mins. Please HELP?! 

Try downclocking your ram a bit, starting off at lower speeds, or just giving it MORE JIGGAWATTZ! (Voltages)

Just don't oc it.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

2133 to 2400 won't make much difference, even for RAM, and RAM is much trickier to overclock than a CPU/GPU. Just leave it as is, I would say.

As soon as I do this, I boot into windows and then hit a blue screen after about 5 mins. Please HELP?!

yeah...dont do this your RAM doesnt want to run at higher frequency.

if your sticks would be able to run at 2400mhz stable with ease they would be labeled as 2400mhz ram and they would be worth more money.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Don't OC non-OCable RAM ._.

all RAM is capable of being OC'd but it's far more difficult to mess with memory.

2133 to 2400 won't make much difference, even for RAM, and RAM is much trickier to overclock than a CPU/GPU. Just leave it as is, I would say.

It will with an APU when you're using the iGPU, you can get serious gains from minimal clock differences. 

@OP

RAM overclocking is very complicated there are a lot of timings to mess with once you try to go past it's rated speed. If you're serious you're probably going to have to find someone who is properly experienced with RAM overclocking to help you out. http://forum.overclock3d.net/ would almost certainly be a better place to go for this.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

get the a8-7650k or 7670k

you're saving a shit ton of money that way for a 1-5fps loss

Well but if he plans on playing more demanding games that 5 FPS might define a playable game from an unplayable one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

all RAM is capable of being OC'd but it's far more difficult to mess with memory.

It will with an APU when you're using the iGPU, you can get serious gains from minimal clock differences. 

Nah, leaving it at 2133mhz and tightening down the timings is a better choice imo.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Well but if he plans on playing more demanding games that 5 FPS might define a playable game from an unplayable one.

Crysis 3 runs at 40fps regardless of the A8/A10 APU. Hell, medium Battlefield 4 gets 720p60 pretty easily

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Crysis 3 runs at 40fps regardless of the A8/A10 APU. Hell, medium Battlefield 4 gets 720p60 pretty easily

There are games though that these chips run slightly below 30fps @1080, with that in mind having 35 does increase gaming quality imo

Nah, leaving it at 2133mhz and tightening down the timings is a better choice imo.

2400/2666 with timings close to his current would be better than 2133 with lower timing.

There are games though that these chips run slightly below 30fps @1080, with that in mind having 35 does increase gaming quality imo

You're telling me. 35fps vs 29fps on driver san francisco is REALLY and I mean REALLY noticeable

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

You're telling me. 35fps vs 29fps on driver san francisco is REALLY and I mean REALLY noticeable

Yes, there are cases when these additional FPS would come in handy ^^ I agree that the APU you mentioned offers better value for money though

2400/2666 with timings close to his current would be better than 2133 with lower timing.

Of course, however it's not achievable with his RAM kits, we're not theoretizing here :P

Of course, however it's not achievable with his RAM kits, we're not theoretizing here :P

What evidence do you have that proves that his kit can't? I have a crummy 4GB stick from an OEM machine that's rated at 1333mhz and can OC to 1922Mhz.

What evidence do you have that proves that his kit can't? I have a crummy 4GB stick from an OEM machine that's rated at 1333mhz and can OC to 1922Mhz.

this is lottery, just like the CPU's...but with modern DDR3 and DDR4 kits available at all sorts of factory overclocked speeds and settings they are binned now and those that can go faster are rated faster and therefore cost more...obviously.

he can probably tighten the timings and latency a little, but this is long and difficult process and he will most likely encounter lots of instability...overclocking ram is hard, and if his kit could do 2400mhz with ease has i mentionned already corsair would have sold them as a 2400mhz kit and it would have been more expensive.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

What @i_build_nanosuits said, It is VERY unlikely that his sticks can run speeds higher than 2400mhz at decent timings. His best bet is 2133mhz with timings around CL9 or 2400 if his sticks and motherboard can pull it off

get a ASrock mobo... the Gigabyte bios sucks and their boards has not been nice to me on the iGPU OC....

ASrock on the other hand is a fucking dream to OC with.

edit: forgot to mention, ive built 2 kaveri and one godavari build...

2x 7850k

1x 7870k (my own)...

i used ASrock for the 7850k, but for my own build, the ASrock boards were sold out so i went with gigabyte... biggest mistake i have made in recent time.

holy shit that's a high overclock

yea but the timings are shit and I can only do it on my sabertooth board.