Trying to find the right set of headphones

Ryzone

Alright guys, I've been looking around for some new headphones and I have a couple of things to share so you can get an idea of what kind of sound I'm looking for. Alright so first about the Logitech G930s. I loved this headset and I also really hated it. So the reason I hated these was because they were too heavy for me and gave me a sore neck and ears hurt sometimes using them. But I remember when flipping that 7.1 virtual surround sound switch on the side of the headset and playing some Battlefield 3 using that "wartapes" sound setting... oh man It was like moving away from reality and into the game. It was that immersive for me and I loved it.

Now for this next part, I want to explain how I really enjoyed using these headphones I remember everything sounding very clear and music was very enjoyable. I remember saying wow these are so badass when I first got them.Probably one of the best $20 I've ever spent. Ok so these headphones were the Sennheiser HD 201 and oh man not going to lie probably one of the best sounding headphones I remember using. I just remember music being very clear, I don't know how else to describe it.

Alright so what I really wanted to try and ask. Is there a headphone out there where I can get that immersive 7.1 sound from the Logitech G930, and also have that crisp clear audio from the Sennheiser HD 201s.

PS . I don't know much about headphones and DAC / AMP's. I've never owned big boy audio equipment, but am willing to give it a shot if the price is right.

Virtual 7.1 always sounded shallow and gross compared to actual good open headphones, so just look for some nice high end headphones, also what's your budget?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Alright guys, I've been looking around for some new headphones and I have a couple of things to share so you can get an idea of what kind of sound I'm looking for. Alright so first about the Logitech G930s. I loved this headset and I also really hated it. So the reason I hated these was because they were too heavy for me and gave me a sore neck and ears hurt sometimes using them. But I remember when flipping that 7.1 virtual surround sound switch on the side of the headset and playing some Battlefield 3 using that "wartapes" sound setting... oh man It was like moving away from reality and into the game. It was that immersive for me and I loved it.

Now for this next part, I want to explain how I really enjoyed using these headphones I remember everything sounding very clear and music was very enjoyable. I remember saying wow these are so badass when I first got them.Probably one of the best $20 I've ever spent. Ok so these headphones were the Sennheiser HD 201 and oh man not going to lie probably one of the best sounding headphones I remember using. I just remember music being very clear, I don't know how else to describe it.

Alright so what I really wanted to try and ask. Is there a headphone out there where I can get that immersive 7.1 sound from the Logitech G930, and also have that crisp clear audio from the Sennheiser HD 201s.

PS . I don't know much about headphones and DAC / AMP's. I've never owned big boy audio equipment, but am willing to give it a shot if the price is right.

if you want surround sound open back is the way to go 

Virtual 7.1 always sounded shallow and gross compared to actual good open headphones, so just look for some nice high end headphones, also what's your budget?

yes i agree

Well I was thinking around $200 for headphones and then for a DAC / AMP $100 each. 

Well I was thinking around $200 for headphones and then for a DAC / AMP $100 each. 

audio technica ad900x with mod mic is a great choice

Edit: they're $145 on amazon and a modmic is $45 on their modmic's website

Some Beyerdynamic's. DT-something or other. I think you can get 990s for 175-ish on amazon.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Oh I have a desktop mic so I don't really want to get a headset, Just so everyone is clear.

Some Beyerdynamic's. DT-something or other. I think you can get 990s for 175-ish on amazon.

Whats the difference between the 990's and the 770s

Ones closed ones open, open=better if you don't mind sound leakage and want a better sound stage (preferable) for gaming, closed=better if you live in a noisy environment or plan to use them around town.

Can't go wrong with the DT 990's very comfortable, and good if you want bass.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Smoother frequency response. Also, the 770s aren't open-backed, so you won't get that wide soundstage you were after.

post-233981-0-42820300-1443324332.png

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

Ones closed ones open, open=better if you don't mind sound leakage and want a better sound stage (preferable) for gaming, closed=better if you live in a noisy environment or plan to use them around town.

Can't go wrong with the DT 990's very comfortable, and good if you want bass.

Well I have a portable AC running all the time during the summer. When I put on my headset now (HyperX Cloud) it blocks out the sound of the AC running. Open does sound scary to me but maybe its something I should get used to since it seems most people prefer open more then closed.

Smoother frequency response. Also, the 770s aren't open-backed, so you won't get that wide soundstage you were after.

attachicon.gifgraphCompare (1).png

Smoother frequency response, what does that mean? What does that have to do with anything or headphone choices?

Frequency response is the range of bass, mids and treble. In the example 20 to 20,000 Hz, the first number represents the bass end of the spectrum while the second number represents the treble end. 20 to 20,000 Hz is generally accepted as the audible frequency range, this is the standard for most headphones, so to say one is smoother doesn't really make any sense in headphone recommendations.

Well I have a portable AC running all the time during the summer. When I put on my headset now (HyperX Cloud) it blocks out the sound of the AC running. Open does sound scary to me but maybe its something I should get used to since it seems most people prefer open more then closed.

I honestly can't stand closed, immersion is sort of ruined in fps games, and sound stage is airy and more "natural" in open headphones. I also don't like having the outside world blocked out in case my doorbell rings or my phone needs answering. If your playing a game the AC unit won't be overwhelming, I have one next to me on 24/7 as-well (Arizona heat). I think you should look for a guitar center and see the difference the sound leakage isn't as apparent as you may think.

I know what I said about how liking the 7.1 surround on the G930's but maybe it was the extreme bass I really liked and I'm getting that confused with what the 7.1 was doing. I know exactly what you guys mean where everything sounded very far away and I didn't like that. It just seemed that sound got louder and more bass heavy which I liked.

Smoother frequency response, what does that mean? What does that have to do with anything or headphone choices?

Frequency response is the range of bass, mids and treble. In the example 20 to 20,000 Hz, the first number represents the bass end of the spectrum while the second number represents the treble end. 20 to 20,000 Hz is generally accepted as the audible frequency range, this is the standard for most headphones, so to say one is smoother doesn't really make any sense in headphone recommendations.

What I meant by smoother was a more flat frequency response with fewer irregularities in volume from frequency to frequency; therefore, making the listening experience that much closer to what was intended to be heard. This is an excellent characteristic of flatter frequency response headphones that make gaming more enjoyable to the player. 

EDIT: Notice the drops on either side of 100 Hz for the 770s and the lack of mids at around 3.7 kHz.

I know what I said about how liking the 7.1 surround on the G930's but maybe it was the extreme bass I really liked and I'm getting that confused with what the 7.1 was doing. I know exactly what you guys mean where everything sounded very far away and I didn't like that. It just seemed that sound got louder and more bass heavy which I liked.

Then opt for the 770s.

Then opt for the 770s.

He says he likes bass so you recommend him the opposite of what he wants, headphones with not as much bass compared to the DT 990?

I honestly can't stand closed, immersion is sort of ruined in fps games, and sound stage is airy and more "natural" in open headphones. I also don't like having the outside world blocked out in case my doorbell rings or my phone needs answering. If your playing a game the AC unit won't be overwhelming, I have one next to me on 24/7 as-well (Arizona heat). I think you should look for a guitar center and see the difference the sound leakage isn't as apparent as you may think.

Ah ok yes Arizona is very hot haha. I don't mind the sound leaking from the headphones just don't want outside sound to overpower or get distracting is what I ment.

He says he likes bass so you recommend him the opposite of what he wants, headphones with not as much bass compared to the DT 990?

It depends on the volume he's playing at. If he's playing at a quieter volume then he should go for the 770s. If he's going loud then he should go for the 990s. At low volume, the bass response can be lacking in open-backed headphones.

It depends on the volume he's playing at. If he's playing at a quieter volume then he should go for the 770s. If he's going loud then he should go for the 990s. At low volume, the bass response can be lacking in open-backed headphones.

*Sighs*

Ah ok yes Arizona is very hot haha. I don't mind the sound leaking from the headphones just don't want outside sound to overpower or get distracting is what I ment.

Yes, I meant it's not distracting for me.

*Sighs*

Yes, I meant it's not distracting for me.

You are an extraordinarily daft person. 

Well thanks for the input guys. Hopefully I can decide on something >.<

You are an extraordinarily daft person. 

You are a very ignorant person :P

You are a very ignorant person :P

How was that at all ignorant?