Trying to find the right set of headphones

Ryzone

How was that at all ignorant?

Because you don't know what your talking about, and are ignorant to the fact that you don't. Like seriously how does a frequency response make a headphone "smoother".

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Because you don't know what your talking about, and are ignorant to the fact that you don't. Like seriously how does a frequency response make a headphone "smoother".

Did you not even read what a typed? I said the frequency response was smoother by not having as many volume irregularities from frequency to frequency.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Well thanks for the input guys. Hopefully I can decide on something >.<

Got already have a HyperX Cloud? What do you dislike about it that's making you want another headphone?

Got already have a HyperX Cloud? What do you dislike about it that's making you want another headphone?

Just want a better audio experience. Will be buying a DAC/AMP aswell I've been planning on a sweet audio setup for a few months now.

Just want a better audio experience. Will be buying a DAC/AMP aswell I've been planning on a sweet audio setup for a few months now.

What I mean is, if you tell us what you don't like about the cloud, and tell us what you want from a new pair, we can point you in the right direction. It is not as simple as spending more money to get a better experience. There are many differences in sound signature and not everyone prefers the same ones.

What I mean is, if you tell us what you don't like about the cloud, and tell us what you want from a new pair, we can point you in the right direction. It is not as simple as spending more money to get a better experience. There are many differences in sound signature and not everyone prefers the same ones.

Well I have the first HyperX cloud not he cloud II. I also have the Steelseries Siberia V3 as a backup headset in my closet in case my main headset broke. I've gone through a lot of gaming headsets. So my sound wasn't very loud when directly plugged into the back of my mobo. So when I switched to the front audio and mic ports on my pc you know the one that you plug in the HD Audio for. Well when I switched to that, my sound was way louder and definitely could here more detail, but this is still onboard sound. So when I was just messing around with both headsets to see how different they sounded. The Steelseries headset have way more bass and it hits nice I like it but the audio itself isn't clear at all its muffled and bad period, but when I plug in the hyperX cloud I could tell right away the music is way more clear and detailed but not much bass compared to the Steelseries headset. So I was just like damn if this is what the HyperX can do I wonder how much better music will sound with a proper pair of headphones and a external DAC and AMP.

Well I have the first HyperX cloud not he cloud II. I also have the Steelseries Siberia V3 as a backup headset in my closet in case my main headset broke. I've gone through a lot of gaming headsets. So my sound wasn't very loud when directly plugged into the back of my mobo. So when I switched to the front audio and mic ports on my pc you know the one that you plug in the HD Audio for. Well when I switched to that, my sound was way louder and definitely could here more detail, but this is still onboard sound. So when I was just messing around with both headsets to see how different they sounded. The Steelseries headset have way more bass and it hits nice I like it but the audio itself isn't clear at all its muffled and bad period, but when I plug in the hyperX cloud I could tell right away the music is way more clear and detailed but not much bass compared to the Steelseries headset. So I was just like damn if this is what the HyperX can do I wonder how much better music will sound with a proper pair of headphones and a external DAC and AMP.

The cloud is actually based off a respectable headphone, so that is why it sounds so much better. :)

For a really bassy headphone, I will suggest you consider the NAD Viso HP50. The DT770 would probably be too similar to the Clouds.

Fancy amps and DACs are largely unnecessary, so I would suggest a FiiO E10K or SMSL SD793II at the most. Anything more expensive and you're largely paying for nothing other than aesthetics and expensive labor.

Well I do like a bit of bass but more of a tightness not so rumblly I guess I would say. I was checking out those 770's but I just haven't made up my mind which route I want to go. Never heard of NAD Electronics, and to be honest that headset looks super uncomfortable. 

If you want something that is going to still be usable as a gaming headset, have a great open back sound, and be made by an outstanding company, check out the Sennheiser G4ME ONE's.  I have the G4ME ZERO and I love mine.  The mic is great, the sound quality is awesome, and while it may not deliver the earth shattering bass that I am used to from my hd8 dj cans, to my ears, the sound is balanced and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I would rather have a good set of headphones from an audio company than get a set of headphones from gaming peripheral company that is looking to get another section of the market share.

You have been Spfinated!

If you want something that is going to still be usable as a gaming headset, have a great open back sound, and be made by an outstanding company, check out the Sennheiser G4ME ONE's.  I have the G4ME ZERO and I love mine.  The mic is great, the sound quality is awesome, and while it may not deliver the earth shattering bass that I am used to from my hd8 dj cans, to my ears, the sound is balanced and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I would rather have a good set of headphones from an audio company than get a set of headphones from gaming peripheral company that is looking to get another section of the market share.

Yeah I was checking those out awhile back, but I've made up my mind to rather stay away from a headset and just get a solid pair of headphones. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the HD558 or spend some extra and go with the HD600. But I'm open to other options aswell since I'm a noob when it comes to audio, but I do love listening to lots of music. I always have pandora or siriusxm or some youtube playlist going.

Well I do like a bit of bass but more of a tightness not so rumblly I guess I would say. I was checking out those 770's but I just haven't made up my mind which route I want to go. Never heard of NAD Electronics, and to be honest that headset looks super uncomfortable.

I liked them in store, and the reviews are mainly positive online. Some people do find the headband too narrow over longer periods of time, but not everyone. For an alternative fit, the PSB M4U sounds mostly the same but has a folding design. I didn't like the fit as much personally, but everyone's head is different. Both PSB and NAD are good audio companies even if you've never heard of them.

If you're keen on trying something cheaper, maybe the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro? It has variable bass settings so you can choose which you prefer.

Yeah I was checking those out awhile back, but I've made up my mind to rather stay away from a headset and just get a solid pair of headphones. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the HD558 or spend some extra and go with the HD600. But I'm open to other options aswell since I'm a noob when it comes to audio, but I do love listening to lots of music. I always have pandora or siriusxm or some youtube playlist going.

Well, the 600's have an impedance rating of 300 ohms.  Meaning you're going to need more power to push them to their full potential.  If you do end up getting a DAC/AMP combo, you should be just fine.  I use a DAC/AMP combo with my hd8's.  If you don't want to use one then go with the 558's since they're only rated for 50 ohms.  More than likely either will sound just fine to your ear.  Some higher end home theater places, like the magnolia center in Best Buy, might even have a set of these headphones on display for you to try out.

You have been Spfinated!

I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the HD558 or spend some extra and go with the HD600.

I thought you wanted closed back options because of your AC unit.

If you're looking at the 558 and 600, just get a Philips SHP9500. It has almost universally been dubbed a game changer in the headphone world as it sounds just as good as the 600, has arguably better build and comfort, and is much much cheaper.

Well, the 600's have an impedance rating of 300 ohms.  Meaning you're going to need more power to push them to their full potential.  If you do end up getting a DAC/AMP combo, you should be just fine.  I use a DAC/AMP combo with my hd8's.  If you don't want to use one then go with the 558's since they're only rated for 50 ohms.  More than likely either will sound just fine to your ear.  Some higher end home theater places, like the magnolia center in Best Buy, might even have a set of these headphones on display for you to try out.

Oh yeah I've seen those places in bestbuy but always been to scared to walk in because I dont know wtf Im talking about haha. I wouldn't be too excited to put on a pair of headphones on display, I dont want to get headlice or anything nasty like that.

Well, the 600's have an impedance rating of 300 ohms. Meaning you're going to need more power to push them to their full potential.

No.

Impedance rating is not a measurement of how much power is needed, nor is a certain amount of power needed to reach a certain level of "potential".

Despite being high impedance, they are also highly sensitive, and can be run off very simple mobile devices.

I thought you wanted closed back options because of your AC unit.

If you're looking at the 558 and 600, just get a Philips SHP9500. It has almost universally been dubbed a game changer in the headphone world as it sounds just as good as the 600, has arguably better build and comfort, and is much much cheaper.

Yeah I was trying to find some for the retail price of $60 but now they are like $120 and I heard they discontinued them or its a big rumor. Oh and I know what I said about having noise around me but winter is rolling around soon so I wont be needing to run my ac all the time and other then that my place is very quiet.

Yeah I was trying to find some for the retail price of $60 but now they are like $120 and I heard they discontinued them or its a big rumor.

Even at the same price as the HD558 I would opt for the SHP9500. The 3.5mm jack alone makes it the better option in all honesty

Even at the same price as the HD558 I would opt for the SHP9500. The 3.5mm jack alone makes it the better option in all honesty

Are you talking about how you can remove the cord from the side of the headphones?

No.

Impedance rating is not a measurement of how much power is needed, nor is a certain amount of power needed to reach a certain level of "potential".

Despite being high impedance, they are also highly sensitive, and can be run off very simple mobile devices.

Even with a sensitivity rating of 97db, if I were purchasing them for myself, I would still get a good quality amp/dac.  

You have been Spfinated!

Are you talking about how you can remove the cord from the side of the headphones?

The 558 has a removable cable also, but it terminates in a 2.5mm TRS jack with a proprietary locking plastic shroud.

The SHP9500's 3.5mm jack is flat to the earcup, not buried in any plastic. This means you have a huge variety of different cables to use, or even a v-moda boom pro microphone.

Even with a sensitivity rating of 97db, if I were purchasing them for myself, I would still get a good quality amp/dac.

You can advocate for a quality source all you want, just don't claim things that aren't true.

The 558 has a removable cable also, but it terminates in a 2.5mm TRS jack with a proprietary locking plastic shroud.

The SHP9500's 3.5mm jack is flat to the earcup, not buried in any plastic. This means you have a huge variety of different cables to use, or even a v-moda boom pro microphone.

ohhh yeah ok. I would like to get one of those different colored cables just for a personal touch.

You can advocate for a quality source all you want, just don't claim things that aren't true.

This.

It only matters if the source is bad and staticy, or not loud enough.

I drove hd700s fine with my phone

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."