Older consoles on modern PC monitor

Baini

Hello guys and gals,

I've been wanting for a time to get my TV off my wall and out of my room. But I have a problem which isn't as easy to solve as some others.

The main problem is that I have a lot of consoles that I still wish to play games on. So I'd like a way to connect my consoles up to my PC monitor, a NEC MultiSync EA244WMi.

It's running fine with my Wii U and PS3, but I do have older ones that I'd love to use as well.

Worth noting is that all of my consoles are PAL, but not sure if that matters at all except for one.

The consoles I want to use and their respective connection method/signal type are as follows:

SNES using scart and I believe it is RGB

PS1 using component and I believe outputs RGB as well

N64 which uses scart, but it's not possible to get RGB, even through modding.

PS2 which uses component and has RGB

Xbox has the same as PS2

GameCube that is scart RGB, although this isn't a priority because of the next point.

Wii (or rather, 3 Wii...dont ask...) which has component RGB, but can get an adapter for HDMI

So my problem here is that I want to get scart and component RGB over to HDMI so I can use it on my monitor.

Would also love if there was someone who knew if my SNES and PS1 was RGB.

And finally if someone had a way to get my N64 to also be used with its stupid composite scart blehg.

-Baini

You cant really get an analog signal into a digital signal with a cable. If your monitor has DVI-I (analog & digital) You can use the analog signal on the monitor, but with degraded Quality.

I successfully hacked 127.0.0.1! Now I cant turn on my computer :/

6700K - z170 Pro Gaming - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB - WD Black 1TB - WD Green 3TB - External Hard drive 3TB - Zotac GTX 970 Amp! Core Edition - Fractal Define R5 - RM650 - Razer BW Chroma - Roccat Tyon Lasermouse

It has DVI-D and VGA though.

But I'm not exactly looking for just a cable, or well, I guess it works for RGB signals since VGA should be able to handle that. But just something that makes me able to play on my monitor and isn't a Framemeister cause that is way over my budget.

• 2 weeks later...

It has DVI-D and VGA though.

But I'm not exactly looking for just a cable, or well, I guess it works for RGB signals since VGA should be able to handle that. But just something that makes me able to play on my monitor and isn't a Framemeister cause that is way over my budget.

You could use VGA to do what you want, but I'm not sure if it will work with all your consoles though.

VGA needs on top of the RGB signals, sync signals for both vertical and horizontal, I don't think you can make it work just with RGB signals alone.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

About ps2 i know some games that support 1080i on ntsc format.Rest are 480p and 360p. As for pal you're limited since there aren't many games that support 480p.  Not only that but you're limited to 50fps meanwhile you have 60 on ntsc.

I have a recommendation. Why don't you use emulators for ps1 & 2. (don't know for wii emulators since i never used them). The quality that you're going to get is way better from a ps1/2 console anyway.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

About ps2 i know some games that support 1080i on ntsc format.Rest are 480p and 360p. As for pal you're limited since there aren't many games that support 480p.  Not only that but you're limited to 50fps meanwhile you have 60 on ntsc.

I have a recommendation. Why don't you use emulators for ps1 & 2. (don't know for wii emulators since i never used them). The quality that you're going to get is way better from a ps1/2 console anyway.

i agree with your recommendation, i run ffx on a ps2 emulator downsample at 8k with a 965be @ 3.8ghz with almost no fps drop :)

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'll have to wait and see a bit. It's not too bad having the TV here, except that it does generate some heat. But for now there isn't too much old school gaming going on.

There's only really one solution and that's an XRGB. Here's a thread about the latest model:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33450&start=30

Cheap scalers from china aren't anywhere near as good. I have a $30 scaler in my arcade cabinet and there is some flickering going on.

Here's an old video of my test setup. The cab has been restored since then:

Emulated games don't look authentic. I tried it but I much prefer to use real hardware.

Also, with a good scaler, input lag won't be much of a problem.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.