my I7-4790K keeps overclocking.....

Longshot

Water is overrated. Air cooling is more fool-proof.

BS. A thousand times BS. Air cooling dumps the heat from the CPU into the case, liquid cooling removes that heat from the case.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

BS. A thousand times BS. Air cooling dumps the heat from the CPU into the case, liquid cooling removes that heat from the case.

Which is why you watercool when possible.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

If you have 2x 140mm fans you won't see a big difference. Hell - my side panels don't even get warm with 2x 120mm exhaust in the front.

PS: The only thing that would make a difference for is the crappy CX PSUs

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

If you have 2x 140mm fans you won't see a big difference. Hell - my side panels don't even get warm with 2x 120mm exhaust in the front.

You really haven't used an AIO or Corsair CX PSU before have you?

PMSL

First off, SENPAI NOTICED ME!

Second, the job of your case fans is to remove heat from the case right? So how much sense does it make to have fans dumping heat into the case, and other fans pushing it out? Just have radiators so that the heat is pushed out. My case fans barely have a job other than looking pretty since the radiator fans do most the work.

Until my R9 spaceheater kicks in...

Second, the job of your case fans is to remove heat from the case right? So how much sense does it make to have fans dumping heat into the case, and other fans pushing it out? Just have radiators so that the heat is pushed out. My case fans barely have a job other than looking pretty since the radiator fans do most the work.

For others it would be their Fermi hotplates........

PMSL

You have the best R9 290 cooler xD No right to complain :P

Rads, pumps and blocks are generally more expensive than 2-3 case fans.

For others it would be their Fermi hotplates........

giphy.gif

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Actually my rad pulls fresh air into the case. LOL

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

giphy.gif

$50 for my Coolermaster Seidon 120V, and it competes with more expensive air coolers that don't have the benefit of blowing air out of the case.

PMSL

giphy.gif

Oh I love my GPU, it's just a furnace compared to my CPU.

I have just over a hundred US put into my liquid cooling system, I'll never tire of stating that the investment dropped my load temps from 71c on the stock *air* cooler to 41c. At full stress at 64c with my 4.6OC my case temps don't even cross 30c. liquid cooling is better in every sense, even cost.

$50 for my Coolermaster Seidon 120V, and it competes with more expensive air coolers that don't have the benefit of blowing air out of the case.

25$ for my Arctic Freezer 13 - my 4590 sits around 48-50*C in torture tests. The cooler is set to "silent" mode. I got 3 case fans for 0$ with the case. I win :P

Oh I love my GPU, it's just a furnace compared to my CPU.

I have just over a hundred US put into my liquid cooling system, I'll never tire of stating that the investment dropped my load temps from 71c on the stock *air* cooler to 41c. At full stress at 64c with my 4.6OC my case temps don't even cross 30c. liquid cooling is better in every sense, even cost.

I honestly don't think the 290 is that much hotter than a 280X and those generally don't kick out nearly as much heat as people would have you believe. TDP is an artificial number that each OEM makes up really. It all depends on the voltage, die size and manufacturing process mostly.

25$ for my Arctic Freezer 13 - my 4590 sits around 48-50*C in torture tests. The cooler is set to "silent" mode. I got 3 case fans for 0$ with the case. I win :P

That is a locked i5 which do not put out much heat. Not an unlocked CPU that can have its multiplier increased and consumes upwards of 80W. (I had my 4790K at its fastest consuming 107W).

PMSL

That is a locked i5 which do not put out much heat. Not an unlocked CPU that can have its multiplier increased and consumes upwards of 80W. (I had my 4790K at its fastest consuming 107W).

It was quite warm with the stock heatsink. I COULD change the base clock but that's going to give me a max of 100-200 MHz really.

I honestly don't think the 290 is that much hotter than a 280X and those generally don't kick out nearly as much heat as people would have you believe. TDP is an artificial number that each OEM makes up really. It all depends on the voltage, die size and manufacturing process mostly.

I've seen the power consumption of FX 9590 and Phenom II P920/N970 come close to consuming the same amount of power as their rated TDP....... (within margin of error).

PMSL

I spent the extra coin so as to have a fan controller with five temp probes. I'm a bit OCD about my temps. Even running a GPU intensive game my case temp has never crossed 41c, highest GPU temp I've seen is 72c.

You'll appreciate this that I do wish I had access to my PSU temps... That is my one regret. Some of my heat could be coming from it. Not about to stick a probe in it xD.

It was quite warm with the stock heatsink. I COULD change the base clock but that's going to give me a max of 100-200 MHz really.

Not on that motherboard.....if it was Z97 that'd be a different story, or if you were running a 4690K (Asus+MSI pretty much said FU to Intel by enabling multiplier based overclocking on low end chipsets).

PMSL

I've seen the power consumption of FX 9590 and Phenom II P920/N970 come close to consuming the same amount of power as their rated TDP....... (within margin of error).

CPUs and GPUs are different :)

But usually TDP is a guess by the developers. There is no unified source to which they have to abide. From what I've seen the 120W TDP 960 would be a 160W TDP card if AMD were to put a label on it and the 190W TDP 380 would be a 150W TDP card if Nvidia were the owners of the chip. Just saying

CPUs and GPUs are different :)

But usually TDP is a guess by the developers. There is no unified source to which they have to abide. From what I've seen the 120W TDP 960 would be a 160W TDP card if AMD were to put a label on it and the 190W TDP 380 would be a 150W TDP card if Nvidia were the owners of the chip. Just saying

We are talking about CPU not GPU......

PMSL

Not on that motherboard.....if it was Z97 that'd be a different story, or if you were running a 4690K (Asus+MSI pretty much said FU to Intel by enabling multiplier based overclocking on low end chipsets).

That's only for the pentium though? Ain't it?

I spent the extra coin so as to have a fan controller with five temp probes. I'm a bit OCD about my temps. Even running a GPU intensive game my case temp has never crossed 41c, highest GPU temp I've seen is 72c.

You'll appreciate this that I do wish I had access to my PSU temps... That is my one regret. Some of my heat could be coming from it. Not about to stick a probe in it xD.

PSU temps aren't a reason for concern - any decent PSU monitors itself and controls the fan accordingly. The wasted energy into heat (TDP) of a PSU is typically around 15-5% of the power you're drawing.

R9 290 is a CPU? :o

Yeah but even GPUs benefit from liquid cooling over air. I'm still trying to figure out how to balance my airflow in the case because the GPU pushes air in the opposite direction than the case has intake filters... That seriously bugs me.

That's only for the pentium though? Ain't it?

PSU temps aren't a reason for concern - any decent PSU monitors itself and controls the fan accordingly. The wasted energy into heat (TDP) of a PSU is typically around 15-5% of the power you're drawing.

Nope. I can overclock my i7 4790K on my Asus H87M Pro. As I said it was Asus and MSI doing a big FU at Intel.

Yeah but even GPUs benefit from liquid cooling over air. I'm still trying to figure out how to balance my airflow in the case because the GPU pushes air in the opposite direction than the case has intake filters... That seriously bugs me.

I know they do, AMD's graphics cards seem especially receptive to watercooling with decreased power consumption as soon as they are watercooled.

PMSL