OS X on VirtualBox, viable option?

Go to solution Solved by Exo,

Listen, if you're running a newer ASUS/Gigabyte board - it will run OS X natively (hell, almost every board released recently, forget about what people are saying :D). I've done it numerous times and have experience in the whole thing, you do not need a .DSDT file whatsoever - therefore it runs natively.

However, that being said, there will be elements that will require you to install .kext files. I highly suggest that you checkout MultiBeast on http://www.tonymacx86.com (make an account, and everything will be open to you). It basically installs .kext files into a directory to support those 'unsupported/not optimized' elements. In my experience with my own ASUS board, the Intel NIC, onboard audio did not function without MultiBeast .kext's. My GPU was supported by Apple in 10.8.3 meaning I didn't need a .kext from MultiBeast for it.

It's all experimentation, you can browse and get help on that forum which is OS X exclusive and is resource heavy for almost everything. I ran this outside of a VM though, I installed it through a VM recently and couldn't get the mouse/keyboard to work  :lol: VM's are sketchy.

Hello.

Alright so, dualbooting OS X requires specific hardware. And since I don't want to be limited to Gigabyte motherboards for maximum compatibility, specific Gigabyte motherboards even. Leads to dualbooting not being an option for me.

So, on to my question. We all know you can run OS X on a Virtual Machine. But are there any downsides? Granted, the system will be slower, but will it be a significant amount?

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

You'll run into some problems with drivers etc. not really worth it but the virtual box shouldn't be too slow if your computer is any good.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

You can run Mac on a good bit of asus motherboards to they just wont be out of the box compatible.

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Hello.

Alright so, dualbooting OS X requires specific hardware. And since I don't want to be limited to Gigabyte motherboards for maximum compatibility, specific Gigabyte motherboards even. Leads to dualbooting not being an option for me.

People run hackmacs on all kind of motherboards (asus, asrock, msi, gigabyte, etc.).

What are you planning to use OS X for?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

People run hackmacs on all kind of motherboards (asus, asrock, msi, gigabyte, etc.).

What are you planning to use OS X for?

Well, isn't there more compatibility issues with other manufacturers than Gigabyte? I'm planning to use it for programming mainly.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

i ran OSX on vmware and it was not a doing well with graphical solitions because of vmware's graphical emulation is weak i am not sure about vbox but probably you will experience more issues than vmware

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Listen, if you're running a newer ASUS/Gigabyte board - it will run OS X natively (hell, almost every board released recently, forget about what people are saying :D). I've done it numerous times and have experience in the whole thing, you do not need a .DSDT file whatsoever - therefore it runs natively.

However, that being said, there will be elements that will require you to install .kext files. I highly suggest that you checkout MultiBeast on http://www.tonymacx86.com (make an account, and everything will be open to you). It basically installs .kext files into a directory to support those 'unsupported/not optimized' elements. In my experience with my own ASUS board, the Intel NIC, onboard audio did not function without MultiBeast .kext's. My GPU was supported by Apple in 10.8.3 meaning I didn't need a .kext from MultiBeast for it.

It's all experimentation, you can browse and get help on that forum which is OS X exclusive and is resource heavy for almost everything. I ran this outside of a VM though, I installed it through a VM recently and couldn't get the mouse/keyboard to work  :lol: VM's are sketchy.

Congratulations, you win my 500th post :D

It's possible and works alright - I have it on my computer at the moment. However, there are some complicated steps to make it work. I followed this guide http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/07/mountain-lion-virtualbox.html and it works almost just fine (except it has a kernel panic (like a BSOD) when you tell it to shut down but it actually doesn't matter, and you can't very easily share folder between the systems). You do have to mess around with it, but it certainly works once you've followed all the steps, even though it could be faster.

HTTP/2 203