School laptop super slow even with fresh install

JorenBus

Hello all,

The laptop I use for school is (and has always been) super slow, even though it's only 2 years old. I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 in the hope that this would fix it, but nope.

When my PC is booted up for like 5 minutes, and I open Chrome for example, it litterally takes 30 seconds to load it. Same goes with the explorer, takes around 10-20 seconds to open that.

It's a HP Probook 430 G1 with an i3 4010 1.70GHz and 4GB of RAM.

Is there anything I can do to make this laptop run a bit faster?

Thanks in advance

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Maybe try Windows 7 instead of 10?

edit nvm cant read lmao

Edited by Muz

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Maybe try Windows 7 instead of 10?

It had Windows 8 installed before, so I can't just go install Windows 7.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

SSD

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

check the cpu and RAM usage in task manager, tell us what it say's

Core i7 4790k @4.6Ghz MSI GTX 980 ti 32GB Corsair Vengance Pro RAM @1866Mhz Maximus VII Ranger Cooler master Nepton 240M

Hello all,

The laptop I use for school is (and has always been) super slow, even though it's only 2 years old. I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 in the hope that this would fix it, but nope.

When my PC is booted up for like 5 minutes, and I open Chrome for example, it litterally takes 30 seconds to load it. Same goes with the explorer, takes around 10-20 seconds to open that.

Is there anything I can do to make this laptop run a bit faster?

Thanks in advance

Add more ran and and SSD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Dying HDD?

Shit computer?

I would install 7 (or 8) and try it and see if that fixes it.

Then I would look at the HDD health using HDD Guardian and if it has any errors or bad sectors, replace the computer or get an SSD.

SLAP AN SSD IN IT ASAP!!!!!

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

processor is the problem dude 1.7ghz this is around min requirements of windows10 and minimum means atleast  able to boot windows (in my world) but u should get recommended specs or even better than recommended specs to play along with windows 10

I had a laptop with quite similar spcs (Lifebook A512). CPU isn't quite fast, but it should be fine. I'd say HP used a crummy slow HDD for that thing, so an SSD should fix it. 

To rule out software, you could use a Linux Live USB and try if it's faster. If it is, you might be due for a switch to Linux. 

processor is the problem dude 1.7ghz this is around min requirements of windows10 and minimum means atleast  able to boot windows (in my world) but u should get recommended specs or even better than recommended specs to play along with windows 10

I'm using Windows 10 on my Transformer Book with some Atom at 1.33GHz, and it's quite snappy. Doesn't stack up to "real" machines, but his i3 shouldn't be holding it back more than my Atom...

Buy an ssd and run linux. That alone could make the situation a lot better. 4gb of ram are also not that much, although for linux they are fine. The cpu is not great but it should run reasonably well for office work.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

SSD

check the cpu and RAM usage in task manager, tell us what it say's

Add more ran and and SSD

SLAP AN SSD IN IT ASAP!!!!!

Put an SSd in it and another 4 gb of ram and it should work better for you

I had a laptop with quite similar spcs (Lifebook A512). CPU isn't quite fast, but it should be fine. I'd say HP used a crummy slow HDD for that thing, so an SSD should fix it. 

To rule out software, you could use a Linux Live USB and try if it's faster. If it is, you might be due for a switch to Linux. 

Buy an ssd and run linux. That alone could make the situation a lot better. 4gb of ram are also not that much, although for linux they are fine. The cpu is not great but it should run reasonably well for office work.

No reason to invest in SSD or more RAM, since I only use this laptop for school (taking notes in class), so I'm not willing to make an investment in something I don't use that much.

Peaks of 100% CPU usage with only 4 tabs opened in Chrome, only program running atm.

Around 1.9GB of RAM usage again with 4 tabs open.

Dying HDD?

Shit computer?

I would install 7 (or 8) and try it and see if that fixes it.

Then I would look at the HDD health using HDD Guardian and if it has any errors or bad sectors, replace the computer or get an SSD.

Overall evaluation: passed. I didn't scan anything or something, should I?

No reason to invest in SSD or more RAM, since I only use this laptop for school (taking notes in class), so I'm not willing to make an investment in something I don't use that much.

Peaks of 100% CPU usage with only 4 tabs opened in Chrome, only program running atm.

You're the one who asked how to make it run better... did you think you could magically make it faster without spending anything?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You're the one who asked how to make it run better... did you think you could magically make it faster without spending anything?

I have to admit I was hoping for something like that :D

there's no chance of that happening if a clean install doesn't do it unfortunately. Of course running linux would help.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I agree, no reason to invest in a school machine really. It also appears there's something wrong, because chrome should not be eating your CPU like that, and not even chrome should be consuming this kinda RAM. 

Fresh install of Windows perchance?

I agree, no reason to invest in a school machine really. It also appears there's something wrong, because chrome should not be eating your CPU like that, and not even chrome should be consuming this kinda RAM. 

Fresh install of Windows perchance?

As I mentioned in my post, I did a full clean install of Windows 10 a few days ago.

If you just leave the computer to IDLE(with chrome closed), what's the CPU utilization like?

Is Chrome the thing that is taking all the CPU utilization or is there something else?

But really, if you want to make it "faster", an SSD is pretty much your only way. HDDs in low end laptops are generally very slow. (a cheap 64GB SSD would be just fine)

Did you do an actual clean install of Windows, or did you just "restored to factory default" using the built-in HP restoration thing? If it's the latter, you probably have a couple dozen bloatware from HP that's taking all the "juice" of the laptop, either use something like PCdecrapifier or actually reinstall using a fresh copy of Windows.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Did you do an actual clean install of Windows, or did you just "restored to factory default" using the built-in HP restoration thing? If it's the latter, you probably have a couple dozen bloatware from HP that's taking all the "juice" of the laptop, either use something like PCdecrapifier or actually reinstall using a fresh copy of Windows.

Damn, was about to ask that

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2