Prime95, AIDA64, intel burn-in test

So can someone explain to me which stresstest is the 'best'?

Also, why is prime not good for haswell?

Proud to be from Belgium.

I too want to know why is Prime95 not good for Haswell. I have used Prime95 for all my other CPU overclocks and was planning on using it when I receive my Haswell chip.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I would simply guess that the reason Prime95 is not good for Haswells is because they tend to get hot enough as it is. Then again, I would also assume that any of those tests you listed would stress Haswell to 100% anyway. 

Hmm, no idea. VRM problems? *shrugs*

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I too want to know why is Prime95 not good for Haswell. I have used Prime95 for all my other CPU overclocks and was planning on using it when I receive my Haswell chip.

Indeed, at the start (well the early start) of haswell, Prime95 was not verified if it was doing a real stresstest and checking everything. But now I want to know why people are still recommending not to use it :-)

I would simply guess that the reason Prime95 is not good for Haswells is because they tend to get hot enough as it is. Then again, I would also assume that any of those tests you listed would stress Haswell to 100% anyway. 

Hmm, no idea. VRM problems? *shrugs*

Well the p95 temperatures are actually 5 degrees lower than the AIDA64 one's, didn't try the intel burn test thingy.

Doesn't haswell do some sort of throttling that renders P95 useless as a stress test?  As I don't own a haswell CPU I can't say from first hand knowledge, but I seem to remember a video from Linus or Logan or someone from around launch time that said something along those lines. 

Doesn't haswell do some sort of throttling that renders P95 useless as a stress test?  As I don't own a haswell CPU I can't say from first hand knowledge, but I seem to remember a video from Linus or Logan or someone from around launch time that said something along those lines. 

Well, I don't know if I understand you correctly, but while running P95, the cpu load stays at 100% and the clockspeed & voltage also stays at what I dialed in...

I mostly use Aida64

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

Currently I am using Asus'es Realbench 1.1

FRom what I have read, it does the job at a more realistic level. Temperatures are closer to real-world applications (still about 10°C higher to give headroom). From what I have read 5 passes from their stresstest would result in a 99.99% stable cpu, when used in average applications, like gaming, browsing and renderring.

The stresstest is actually renderring.

You can also do a "benchmark"-like stresstest, which consists of image editing, video encoding and multitasking.

I Think that from now on I will recommend this to people. In the end, every pc will crash no matter how much hours of prime, ibt or aida you throw at it. If you run it for 24 hours without errors, it is possible that 24h and 1 minute will let it crash.

According to JJ (Asus rep for those that may not know), Prime95 can damage even Ivy Bridge CPUs, yet most say that's untrue, so who knows.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

According to JJ (Asus rep for those that may not know), Prime95 can damage even Ivy Bridge CPUs, yet most say that's untrue, so who knows.

Didn't know that :-s Bye Bye Prime!

I would trust JJ over other people honestly. Linus and the other types of reps like him know a looot more about this than we do. Remember, they have to go to those meetings/conferences/things to be briefed on the specifics of a product before they can review/get sent a sample. 

Like Linus knowing that CPU wafers are circular. I thought that was awesome to know. 

Just saying, people like Linus and JJ get more detailed "behind the scenes" and specific info than most other people, so yeah. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Didn't know that :-s Bye Bye Prime!

Skip to 3:55

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Like Linus knowing that CPU wafers are circular. I thought that was awesome to know.

It doesn't take a special person to know that. Anyone can find out.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I would trust JJ over other people honestly. Linus and the other types of reps like him know a looot more about this than we do. Remember, they have to go to those meetings/conferences/things to be briefed on the specifics of a product before they can review/get sent a sample. 

Just saying, people like Linus and JJ get more detailed "behind the scenes" and specific info than most other people, so yeah. 

I actually would trust JJ more on this than Linus. 

I have the feeling that Linus isn't that in to overclocking anymore... Agreed, he would still know over-9000 times more about pc's than I do.

It is actually JJ's job to make sure their stuff works, and that he can explain how their stuff works. It is from his video that I learned about RealBench, and so far it is impressing me pretty good :)

It doesn't take a special person to know that. Anyone can find out.

I wrote a paper about how CPU's are produced, and the evolution of nanotechnology :p

Shortest damn thing ever! 

Appart that they are made from sand, are circular and verry glossy you allmost can't find any information about the manufacturing process :-p

So can someone explain to me which stresstest is the 'best'?

Also, why is prime not good for haswell?

When stress testing Haswell cpus you only have two options, to stress test your cpu properly. Your best bet is to use the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, your only other option is Aida64.

Currently Only these two programs are validated for Haswell.

Aida64- Validated for Haswell instruction sets. WILL OVERVOLT YOUR CPU if your Vcore parameters are set incorrectly

Intel burn test- DO NOT USE . NOT Validated for Haswell Instruction sets.WILL OVERVOLT YOUR CPU if your Vcore parameters are set incorrectly.

Prime95-DO NOT USE . NOT Validated for Haswell Instruction sets.WILL OVERVOLT YOUR CPU if your Vcore parameters are set incorrectly.

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility- First party software Developed by Intel, updated and validated for Haswell. Does Not cause unnecessary over volting under ANY setting.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

This video is the main reason i chose an ASUS motherboard and felt confident enough to start overclocking. Much love and appreciation goes out to JJ from ASUS AKA Asusilluminati which is his handle on this forum.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

• 6 months later...

Considering he is a rep from THE Asus, then it might be true. Plus, prime95 puts a huge huge load on your cpu.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

When stress testing Haswell cpus you only have two options, to stress test your cpu properly. Your best bet is to use the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, your only other option is Aida64.

Currently Only these two programs are validated for Haswell.

Aida64- Validated for Haswell instruction sets. WILL OVERVOLT YOUR CPU if your Vcore parameters are set incorrectly

Intel burn test- DO NOT USE . NOT Validated for Haswell Instruction sets.WILL OVERVOLT YOUR CPU if your Vcore parameters are set incorrectly.

Prime95-DO NOT USE . NOT Validated for Haswell Instruction sets.WILL OVERVOLT YOUR CPU if your Vcore parameters are set incorrectly.

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility- First party software Developed by Intel, updated and validated for Haswell. Does Not cause unnecessary over volting under ANY setting.

Ty for this info, I'll use intel extreme tuning utility for now on.

But one thing, linus used aida64 for his haswell overclocking guide O.o

Folding for LTT since April 2016.