Sennheiser Game Zero.. Dac and/or Amp?

Adorza

So I wanted to purchase the Sennheiser Game Zero's and was watching reviews about it, and one of the videos suggested getting an ODAC + Amp Combo from Mayflower.. I'm assuming this one:

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/digital-to-analog-converters/objective2-odac-combo-with-rear-power/

But I don't want to spend $200 on a headset and another $270 on the dac/amp so I was wondering if I would be okay with just buying an amplifier? Maybe one like this:

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphone-amplifiers/standard-objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Now I know what a DAC does because I just googled it but I don't necessarily understand it. Should I get the combo, or would I be perfectly okay with just an amp?

I would be using this headset for mostly gaming, skype and other voice chat platforms, netflix, music and maybe casual streaming. 

You definitely need at least an amp since the impedance on the Zero is quite high. A DAC is essentially a sound card in that it converts the digital audio files into an analog output to which you can listen to. Some produce a better sound than others.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

You definitely need at least an amp since the impedance on the Zero is quite high. A DAC is essentially a sound card in that it converts the digital audio files into an analog output to which you can listen to. Some produce a better sound than others.

Would getting the Dac be worth the extra money in your opinion? I definitely do want to get at least the amp.

So I wanted to purchase the Sennheiser Game Zero's and was watching reviews about it, and one of the videos suggested getting an ODAC + Amp Combo from Mayflower.. I'm assuming this one:

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/digital-to-analog-converters/objective2-odac-combo-with-rear-power/

But I don't want to spend $200 on a headset and another $270 on the dac/amp so I was wondering if I would be okay with just buying an amplifier? Maybe one like this:

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphone-amplifiers/standard-objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Now I know what a DAC does because I just googled it but I don't necessarily understand it. Should I get the combo, or would I be perfectly okay with just an amp?

I would be using this headset for mostly gaming, skype and other voice chat platforms, netflix, music and maybe casual streaming. 

All a DAC does is converting a digital signal into an analog signal.

So if you listen to music for example the audio data would go through a USB port on your PC to the DAC which then converts the digital signal into an analog signal so you can hear the music. Having a DAC that is not sitting inside your PC like on a soundcard or your motherboard has the advantage of not heaving any interference like vibrations.

I don't think a DAC is really necessary for most people. Most motherboards deliver pretty good sound these days.

I'm not sure if it is worth it to buy an AMP for the G4ME Zero, tho.

Check your motherboard first, as some comes with a good enough amp built in.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

Check your motherboard first, as some comes with a good enough amp built in.

Mine claims to have an amp that can push up to 600 ohms but in reality, it can barely drive 150 ohms. I have a pair of the G4ME Zero's and I pretty much feel than an aftermarket amp is necessary.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

All a DAC does is converting a digital signal into an analog signal.

So if you listen to music for example the audio data would go through a USB port on your PC to the DAC which then converts the digital signal into an analog signal so you can hear the music. Having a DAC that is not sitting inside your PC like on a soundcard or your motherboard has the advantage of not heaving any interference like vibrations.

I don't think a DAC is really necessary for most people. Most motherboards deliver pretty good sound these days.

I'm not sure if it is worth it to buy an AMP for the G4ME Zero, tho.

So if my computer already plays the sound to me then what's the point of getting it? Are there motherboards that don't already do that? I'm sorry if this seems like sort of a silly question, I'm not quite understanding DAC's yet.

So if my computer already plays the sound to me then what's the point of getting it? Are there motherboards that don't already do that?

Like I said:

You'll have less interference. Every that moves inside your case will cause vibrations and that will interfere with the analog signals that your audio chip is providing.

If you have a DAC that is sitting outside your case, then it can't interfere with the vibrations, because the sound will get delivered via a digital signal to the DAC. Digital signals cannot interfere with anything.

Like I said:

You'll have less interference. Every that moves inside your case will cause vibrations and that will interfere with the analog signals that your audio chip is providing.

If you have a DAC that is sitting outside your case, then it can't interfere with the vibrations, because the sound will get delivered via a digital signal to the DAC. Digital signals cannot interfere with anything.

Alright thanks, that makes more sense now. I will decide what exactly I should get once I purchase the headset now that I understand what to look.. er.. hear for!

Mine claims to have an amp that can push up to 600 ohms but in reality, it can barely drive 150 ohms. I have a pair of the G4ME Zero's and I pretty much feel than an aftermarket amp is necessary.

I got G4ME ONE and Asus R5E, and it seems to be able to handle it.

I got G4ME ONE and Asus R5E, and it seems to be able to handle it.

The ONE is only 50 ohms while the ZERO is 150 ohms, it makes quite the difference.

UGH!!!!

Having a DAC that is not sitting inside your PC like on a soundcard or your motherboard has the advantage of not heaving any interference like vibrations.

What!?

What!?

Maybe my sentence wasn't grammatically correct.  :lol: 

What I meant, is that the DAC sitting on a motherboard or soundcard can interfere with the vibrations that are coming from fans, harddrives and other moving parts.

It could also interfere with electrical noise afaik.

So if the DAC is physically sitting outside of the PC case, none of those above mentioned things can happen.

The ONE is only 50 ohms while the ZERO is 150 ohms, it makes quite the difference.

Guess Asus R5E is retarted then, as it says ONE is 150 ohms or more.

I loathe people like you that spread misinformation about impedance. Impedance has almost nothing to do with the difficulty to drive a given headphone. The sensitivity has everything to do with it. STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION!!! It's irritating, and aggravating, and it's plain false, which I'm pretty sure is (or at least should be) against ToS.

Maybe my sentence wasn't grammatically correct. [emoji38]

What I meant, is that the DAC sitting on a motherboard or soundcard can interfere with the vibrations that are coming from fans, harddrives and other moving parts.

It could also interfere with electrical noise afaik.

So if the DAC is physically sitting outside of the PC case, none of those above mentioned things can happen.

Physical vibrations have (practically) nothing to do with emi/any audible interference you'd get from on board. Also, if you can't hear it, you don't need to worry about it, and most modern motherboards are sufficiently isolated such that it shouldn't matter.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Physical vibrations have (practically) nothing to do with emi/any audible interference you'd get from on board. Also, if you can't hear it, you don't need to worry about it, and most modern motherboards are sufficiently isolated such that it shouldn't matter.

k, thanks!  :) 

So, do DACs even make sense for a normal headphone/headset user?

k, thanks! :)

Not for the average person

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

k, thanks! :)

Generally, no. Not really. They're nice for the convenience of a physical volume knob, etc. But if you don't have any issues with your on board/you don't need any special features, you'll be just fine without one.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Generally, no. Not really. They're nice for the convenience of a physical volume knob, etc. But if you don't have any issues with your on board/you don't need any special features, you'll be just fine without one.

So no DAC just an amp?

So no DAC just an amp?

Does your on-board not get loud enough for you?

So no DAC just an amp?

I would get the headphones first, see if they're loud enough. If they aren't, then get an amp. There are several decent ones for less than $100 (and some for far less) so come back if they aren't loud enough.

Hey! New SIgnature!