Lynnfield upgrade path for a single game.

Tizzle128

So i have sort of a weird issue,

Ive read tons of places how the i7 4790k is the best CPU for single core performance, however thats not quite what im looking for.

My wife and I play Everquest 2 only its very single core intensive, the goal is to get 40+fps constantly while running 2 instances of the game

Currently we are using our old Lynnfield I7 860 with 8 gigs of 1600mhz and Asus GTX 650 2gb edition.

So i picked up a G3258 awhile back for a media pc, and i decided to play around with it, so i have it running at 4.2 ghz paired with 8 gigs of ram and the gtx 650 for now and im getting way more FPS then i want on a single instance of the game 70-150 FPS on extreme quality. however this maxes out the CPU so running a second instance is null in void.

So here is the question,

A. my wife wont deal with OC

B. we are on a kinda pretty wimpy budget

Does anyone have experience with this game and playing 2 instances at the same time that can through out some suggestions, from what ive read even though in normal gaming the i5 is always the best way to go as hyper threading doesnt help, but ive read that single core performance on the 4790 is slightly higher atleast in a benchmark scenario vs the 4690?

Go for Skylake, i went from the i5 760 to my sig rig except GPU.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

Go for Skylake, i went from the i5 760 to my sig rig except GPU.

The main reason i havnt considered it is because i just cant see paying extra for K series stuff my wife wont use.

The main reason i havnt considered it is because i just cant see paying extra for K series stuff my wife wont use.

There are non K parts and in this situation the extra board features and better IPC of Skylake will help a bit over Haswell, the price difference is close unless you are on a strict budget.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

There are non K parts and in this situation the extra board features and better IPC of Skylake will help a bit over Haswell, the price difference is close unless you are on a strict budget.

I know that non k parts were suppose to be coming out i havnt seen any in the US yet, Do you know a date when they will be released?

i3 4160 or i5 4460 - anything above that is pointless

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

OP dont go skylake unless you want ddr4, haswell/haswell refresh is just fine

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

agreed

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

I know that non k parts were suppose to be coming out i havnt seen any in the US yet, Do you know a date when they will be released?

Oh, not out yet, well go Haswell.

I shall build you a system.

Any budget?

Not going to OC? That's insane. That series of CPU can hit much higher clock speeds, upwards of 40% in cases. I have no idea why someone wouldn't bother. Have you considered just doing that and not telling her? It's actually fairly easy if you have the motherboard and cooler for it. I had my i7-920 (stock 2.66 GHz w/ 2.97 turbo) up to 3.94 GHz very comfortably. That's a 48% increase in sustained clock speeds (old turbo boost doesn't work like the current version). That's insane, and with a better cooler it could go higher as I was only on 1.295 volts.

Any budget?

i5 4460 + B85/H81 mobo would set him back about 190-200$

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

i5 4460 + B85/H81 mobo would set him back about 190-200$

and an i3+b85/h81 would set him back 140-160$(depending on which i3 you chose)

Spoiler

Do you have experience running these cpu's in this specific game, we typically only have the ability to upgrade once ever 4-5 years so i want to make sure we get the right stuff the first time?

Any budget?

We have 3 items that are going to be default,

NZXT S340

Samsung 850 Evo 250gb SSD

EVGA GTX 960 SSC edition considering 4gb just in case, i know its not really needed.

Outside of that the budget is to get all of the parts for the lowest cost to meet our performance needs.

Not going to OC? That's insane. That series of CPU can hit much higher clock speeds, upwards of 40% in cases. I have no idea why someone wouldn't bother. Have you considered just doing that and not telling her? It's actually fairly easy if you have the motherboard and cooler for it. I had my i7-920 (stock 2.66 GHz w/ 2.97 turbo) up to 3.94 GHz very comfortably. That's a 48% increase in sustained clock speeds (old turbo boost doesn't work like the current version). That's insane, and with a better cooler it could go higher as I was only on 1.295 volts.

Yeah ive tried OC our current system, unfortunatly i made a total noob decision and went with an Asrock p55de3 MB and it cant overclock at any rate and be stable. So im stuck with having to replace the systems.

Do you have experience running these cpu's in this specific game, we typically only have the ability to upgrade once ever 4-5 years so i want to make sure we get the right stuff the first time?

NZXT S340

EVGA GTX 960 SSC edition considering 4gb just in case, i know its not really needed.

Outside of that the budget is to get all of the parts for the lowest cost to meet our performance needs.

just so you know the gtx 950 performs very similar for less, and you can get a crucial bx100 250GB SSD for less, it wont be as fast but it will still be very fast

Spoiler

NZXT S340

I have a 4590 - that's a 4460 with a 300 MHz OC - it's enough for any old single-core game. No worry.

NZXT S340

The 960 get's own by the AMD R9 380 4GB if you can get it at the same cost as the 960, otherwise stay with your 950.

just so you know the gtx 950 performs very similar for less, and you can get a crucial bx100 250GB SSD for less, it wont be as fast but it will still be very fast

Im not as familiar with the 950, does it still have the ability to use DSR, i only ask as its something im considering, to try and help my wife's vision since we cant really afford to shell out for ultra hd equipment? Yeah i know their are far better deal's SSD wise, its a nother thing, save a headache trying to deal with the wifey and just get the one she wants, lol Personally id go crucial, ocz, or kingston.

I have a 4590 - that's a 4460 with a 300 MHz OC - it's enough for any old single-core game. No worry.

We would be running 2 instances of the game at the same time, would that still work ok for it?

Im not as familiar with the 950, does it still have the ability to use DSR, i only ask as its something im considering, to try and help my wife's vision since we cant really afford to shell out for ultra hd equipment? Yeah i know their are far better deal's SSD wise, its a nother thing, save a headache trying to deal with the wifey and just get the one she wants, lol Personally id go crucial, ocz, or kingston.

yes all 900 series gpus can, and ok but you could always lie and say that its the samsung ssd

Spoiler

The 960 get's own by the AMD R9 380 4GB if you can get it at the same cost as the 960, otherwise stay with your 950.

Yeah ive considered AMD for myself but they are on the wife's S&^% list after we had xfire 4670s

We would be running 2 instances of the game at the same time, would that still work ok for it?

so would it be on the same system or on 2 different ones of the same specs, from what it seems is that it will be on the same system but i want to be sure

Spoiler

Yeah ive considered AMD for myself but they are on the wife's S&^% list after we had xfire 4670s

AMD are nothing like they used to be, if anything they are destroying NVIDIA in drivers currently.

well it doesn't get owned but the 380 does beat just not by how much everyone says it does

Spoiler

2 instances from the same PC? Hmmm - if it's a single-core dependent game then you only need 2 cores - correct me if I'm wrong. The 4460 is probably the best price:performance CPU currently but like others have said - you can OC your current CPU for a gain of around 40% more horses.