13-inch Macbook Air (2013) Review

TGBSeth

If I were to sum up the Macbook Air 13-inch in one word, it would stunning. Throughout the past six years I have used at least five different laptops and while some of them have been relatively light and thin, none come close to the Macbook Air and I’m not sure many companies can ever dream of attaining the power-to-size ratio that the Macbook Air has.

FULL REVIEW: http://tgbuzz.com/64/macbook-air-13-inch-2013-review/

**Note: This is my review, but I provide a link to it rather than copy/paste because the full review includes pictures, formatting, colors, scores, etc which cannot be replicated here.

Great review, definitely thinking about purchasing one of these myself.

My Rig: CPU: I7 4770K@4.5Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Hero RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 650w SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27"

Nice review, but I will probably buy a Lenovo. I need gaming power. Also, OS X really isn't for me.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Awesome review! I just bought the 13" air last night, it is great so far! The battery life is ridiculous.  With OS X Mavericks the air will be even better.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

**Note: This is my review, but I provide a link to it rather than copy/paste because the full review includes pictures, formatting, colors, scores, etc which cannot be replicated here.

good review. enjoyed reading its from the 13" air mac that my girlfriend bought from my recommendation (even though never owning a mac and never really using one). 

the only thing i disagreee with you is the "productivity" bit. you said yourself that you had written several articles.. how is that not productive.. and then how can you wrap that into only having two usb ports?

im no mac prodigy but thunderbolt can daisy chain, is faster and beats usb in every aspect, so having just one of those ports is sufficient. i understand that you're new to apple laptops too, but honestly, do your research before making a review lol!

other then that, i enjoyed reading the review and agreed with every bit of it :P

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

good review. enjoyed reading its from the 13" air mac that my girlfriend bought from my recommendation (even though never owning a mac and never really using one). 

the only thing i disagreee with you is the "productivity" bit. you said yourself that you had written several articles.. how is that not productive.. and then how can you wrap that into only having two usb ports?

im no mac prodigy but thunderbolt can daisy chain, is faster and beats usb in every aspect, so having just one of those ports is sufficient. i understand that you're new to apple laptops too, but honestly, do your research before making a review lol!

other then that, i enjoyed reading the review and agreed with every bit of it :P

you are right

there is a plethora of thunderbolt devices out there 

mices keyboard you name it

also its impossible to live without 10GB/s since pretty much everyone has two SSDs in raid 0 and requires that full speed all the time everytime

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Nice review! i think im going to get the next gen 11.1 in version of macbook air.

I am a happy wuffy

you are right

there is a plethora of thunderbolt devices out there 

mices keyboard you name it

also its impossible to live without 10GB/s since pretty much everyone has two SSDs in raid 0 and requires that full speed all the time everytime

the multi touch gesture mousepad works wonders. not sure if you're familiar with it, but it really is one of a kind and so natural to use.

and the keyboard is actually amazing. considering i used to hate the keyboard on all apples, be it the thin or the chunky style, they've really changed and i find myself typing this with such ease that i keep confusing myself with my desktop keyboard. that knocks out your two suggestions, and the two main USB devices that are usually hooked up to ANY pc. 

the 10GB/s speed (quoting from you, i'm personally not sure what thunderbolt can perform) is actually incredibly useful. yeah when you're pushing word documents around the place it'll be a fraction quicker, but when i was transferring items from the thunderbolt storage my girlfriend has to the mac, i can certainly say we saved two-three minutes. those two-three minutes were spent doing something more 'interesting'.

so, "qwertywarrior", before you try and argue, don't pick out all the good points for your opponent to slap you down with.

#served 

edit: everything i used to hate about laptops; trackpad, scrolling, typing, screen or the battery, are all absolutely amazing on this laptop. im not an apple fanboy, but this laptop might just make me one. try it out, then maybe you'd realise your comment is completely out of place

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

the multi touch gesture mousepad works wonders. not sure if you're familiar with it, but it really is one of a kind and so natural to use.

and the keyboard is actually amazing. considering i used to hate the keyboard on all apples, be it the thin or the chunky style, they've really changed and i find myself typing this with such ease that i keep confusing myself with my desktop keyboard. that knocks out your two suggestions, and the two main USB devices that are usually hooked up to ANY pc. 

the 10GB/s speed (quoting from you, i'm personally not sure what thunderbolt can perform) is actually incredibly useful. yeah when you're pushing word documents around the place it'll be a fraction quicker, but when i was transferring items from the thunderbolt storage my girlfriend has to the mac, i can certainly say we saved two-three minutes. those two-three minutes were spent doing something more 'interesting'.

so, "qwertywarrior", before you try and argue, don't pick out all the good points for your opponent to slap you down with.

#served 

edit: everything i used to hate about laptops; trackpad, scrolling, typing, screen or the battery, are all absolutely amazing on this laptop. im not an apple fanboy, but this laptop might just make me one. try it out, then maybe you'd realise your comment is completely out of place

what arguing ?

i didnt say anything what so ever about the track pad , keyboard and  gestures etc (its not a mousepad its trackpad or touchpad)

i was talking about the lack of inputs

their keyboards and trackpads are great and the software works beautifully

before you try and argue stick to the damn points lol......

the reason i said keyboards and mice is that 2 USBs arnt enough at all for most people for example

i personally write very long papers so i do something like this

142964-how-to-keep-macbook-pro-cool-duri

and use a mouse and mechanical keyboard since its alot less straining on the hands and much faster to do things

alot of my teachers do the same - but they use USB hubs ....

ive personally used macbookpro , imac and apple TV

l boot camped win7 on all of them too  because my friend wanted to play games on them 

he loves apple and games ... bad combination

they are good but i really didnt find such a big difference since i use a T530

i know other people who came from laptops that had extreme flex and horrible touchpads from the HP consumer line of laptops

and switching to a much more expensive apple laptop magically made everything better

and also about the thunderbolt u will ONLY see an advantage over usb 3.0 if  the external hard disk was an SSD (100MB/s faster) so if you saw that it was 3 minutes faster than means 

your hard drive on the thunderbolt enclosure was faster than the hard drive on the usb 3.0 enclosure not because its thunderbolt

or if you were transferring a HUGE amount of small files but that can be remedied by using a software that optimizes USB for such a task but since MACs dont work with exe  ...

so, "iwearkiltz", before you try and argue, stick to the damn points

the only argument i had was because of the lack of inputs which are very annoying my T530 has 4 usb ports is is the perfect number

when apple started using thunderbolt i thought every thing would switch but it seems everyone is ignoring them and only some manufacturers are making thunderbolt devices  and intel thinks that making a 20Gb/s version would fix the issue lol ....

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Great review!  Well written.

Corsair 600T (White) | Asus P8 Z68-V Pro | i5 2500k @ 3.3 | Corsair H70 | EVGA GTX 580 SOC | Patriot 1600LL - 4 x 4GB |

Crucial C300 128GB SSD | Western Digital Black 1TB | Corsair AX850 Pro Gold

good review seth but i still would not buy a macbook 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

what arguing ?

i didnt say anything what so ever about the track pad , keyboard and  gestures etc (its not a mousepad its trackpad or touchpad)

i was talking about the lack of inputs

their keyboards and trackpads are great and the software works beautifully

before you try and argue stick to the damn points lol......

the reason i said keyboards and mice is that 2 USBs arnt enough at all for most people for example

i personally write very long papers so i do something like this

142964-how-to-keep-macbook-pro-cool-duri

and use a mouse and mechanical keyboard since its alot less straining on the hands and much faster to do things

alot of my teachers do the same - but they use USB hubs ....

ive personally used macbookpro , imac and apple TV

l boot camped win7 on all of them too  because my friend wanted to play games on them 

he loves apple and games ... bad combination

they are good but i really didnt find such a big difference since i use a T530

i know other people who came from laptops that had extreme flex and horrible touchpads from the HP consumer line of laptops

and switching to a much more expensive apple laptop magically made everything better

and also about the thunderbolt u will ONLY see an advantage over usb 3.0 if  the external hard disk was an SSD (100MB/s faster) so if you saw that it was 3 minutes faster than means 

your hard drive on the thunderbolt enclosure was faster than the hard drive on the usb 3.0 enclosure not because its thunderbolt

or if you were transferring a HUGE amount of small files but that can be remedied by using a software that optimizes USB for such a task but since MACs dont work with exe  ...

so, "iwearkiltz", before you try and argue, stick to the damn points

the only argument i had was because of the lack of inputs which are very annoying my T530 has 4 usb ports is is the perfect number

when apple started using thunderbolt i thought every thing would switch but it seems everyone is ignoring them and only some manufacturers are making thunderbolt devices  and intel thinks that making a 20Gb/s version would fix the issue lol ....

I agree that 2 USB ports is fairly lacking in terms of connecting peripherals. Mouse and keyboard take up 2 most of the time and then you're sunk, but that's what comes with the ultrabook territory.  More connectivity comes with a larger machine.  I agree with your views on thunderbolt.  It would be awesome to daisy chain a mouse, keyboard,  monitor and external storage. 

I agree that 2 USB ports is fairly lacking in terms of connecting peripherals. Mouse and keyboard take up 2 most of the time and then you're sunk, but that's what comes with the ultrabook territory.  More connectivity comes with a larger machine.  I agree with your views on thunderbolt.  It would be awesome to daisy chain a mouse, keyboard,  monitor and external storage. 

i always wondered why it would be difficult for ultrabook makers to jam in more USB ports

i mean there is empty space all along the edge 

i always wondered why it would be difficult for ultrabook makers to jam in more USB ports

i mean there is empty space all along the edge 

I think it has to do with cooling/airflow, structure and wiring.  Not to mention that the wedge shape design eliminates most of the body.  I bet someone is going to release a "slim port" usb to fit on the wedge area, sell adapters at $30 a pop then profit.

404 D:

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5