Frame Rates at different resolutions

PeggersXtreme

So I was doing some testing on my 1440p 144hz monitor and I found that if I put my resolution down to 720p I get much worse frame rates than if I stay at 1440p now I would have thought less pixels would me less rendering I did this purely as a test in borderlands 2 my frame rate at 1440p was around 80 on average and at 720p it dropped to 50 on average does anyone know why this would happen

Thanks

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

maybe scaling, but that seems like and odd reason to drop 30 frames.

i dont really know. does it use some weird settings maybe?

maybe scaling, but that seems like and odd reason to drop 30 frames.

i dont really know. does it use some weird settings maybe?

I didn't notice anything different other than framerate although the field of view looked different at 720p less in sight but I wouldn't have thought that would effect fps much

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

probably some wierd SLI shit.

why do ya need to set it at 720p? just wondering.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

that makes zero sense mate. 

"cant watch youtube videos, I bought a 980ti. better go throw in the GT 450"

that's different

I mean higher end cards generally are built for high resolutions and not for 800x600

besides youtube is CPU bound like hell

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

that makes zero sense mate. 

"cant watch youtube videos, I bought a 980ti. better go throw in the GT 450"

that is the case for certian JAVA games... xD

*caugh* minecraft *caugh*

(i get 48*fps on average higher than my friend with a 780. im on a craptastic-laptop)

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

that's different

I mean higher end cards generally are built for high resolutions and not for 800x600

that makes zero sense. a 980ti will get a higher frame rate at 800x600 then 4k. any time you move down in resolution, the frame rate will remain the same or increase unless some other variable changes. Please show a SINGLE reliable benchmark that shows otherwise. Hard to believe a GPU will get lower framerate with less load put on it.

OP, guessing there was something else that changed. can you run it again or try with a different game? 

that's different

yea they're meant for higher resolutions... doesnt mean running at a lower resolution will change anything.

even once we're in a world where 1080p is stupidly low res, GPUs will emulate current or previous stuff for backwards compatability. (just like how 99% of sound cards emulate the original yamaha chip in the soundblaster from the 90's)

-Jim Hensen

You should do the test again.

Usually the correlation between resolution and framerate is close to linear (inverse of course)

like i said before my guess is its some weird SLI shit.

.-. *biting nails*

-Jim Hensen

(just like how 99% of sound cards emulate the original yamaha chip in the soundblaster from the 90's)

Nostalgia tho 

So I was doing some testing on my 1440p 144hz monitor and I found that if I put my resolution down to 720p I get much worse frame rates than if I stay at 1440p now I would have thought less pixels would me less rendering I did this purely as a test in borderlands 2 my frame rate at 1440p was around 80 on average and at 720p it dropped to 50 on average does anyone know why this would happen

Thanks

It happened to me in GTA5 where at 1200p i usually hover between 70 and 80 then at 720p it's worse like 40fps max

Couldn't understand that black magic so i left it at 1200p 

Your GPU ain't made to play at 720p. It cripples itself badly there as a result.

like the fury x?

pls no be mad @ me :(

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

probably some wierd SLI shit.

why do ya need to set it at 720p? just wondering.

It was purely just a test to see if I could get closer to the 144hz of my monitor to see if it's worth getting a replacement or RMA because it has severe backlight bleed and dead pixels

Custom PC:

like i said before my guess is its some weird SLI shit.

.-. *biting nails*

Not using SLI yet was using a GTX770 still building my SLI Titan X PC

Custom PC:

Your GPU ain't made to play at 720p. It cripples itself badly there as a result.

Yeah, I hate when my Ferrari breaks down at speeds under 60mph because it was made to go higher speeds than 60.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Higher end cards might be geared towards higher resolutions, but the GPU is not somehow gimped in that regard. At such a low resolution, the CPU's contribution to the given scenario becomes more apparent(like in a game). At the same time, you may want a lower resolution but a higher frame rate(for example, 1080p@144Hz).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Higher end cards might be geared towards higher resolutions, but the GPU is not somehow gimped in that regard. At such a low resolution, the CPU's contribution to the given scenario becomes more apparent(like in a game).

Ah, okay. I was thinking of something else then.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Maybe it was a CPU thing rather than a GPU thing my media PC does have an FX 8320 which I got some bazar results when I tried my Titan X with it only managed 30FPS in GTA V at 1080p convinced this CPU was a bottleneck, can't wait to start using my gaming PC again still building it at the moment but I do find Intel based systems to have much more stable FPS (I might add im not a fan boy of either side I prefer AMD in media machines becuase of their value for money)

Custom PC: