Is this possible? Would like some help please.

Hey everyone. 

Well, my TV from 2007 has bitten the bullet as to say, and I'm thinking about getting a new one. (While a bit sad, allows me to upgrade to a 1080p TV, no more 1680x1050)

Along with it, I want to get a blu-ray player. More specifically this one: Sony BDPS1500.

The only downside is the outputs. It has HDMI, but it also has a Coaxial audio output.

What I want to know.

Is it possible to adapt the Coaxial to RCA (Audio only) for use with my Logitech Z506 Surround Speakers?

If so, Can I use a cable or do I have to buy an adapter of some sort? 

I know I can buy an A/V receiver, input the HDMI and split the audio off that way, but that would result in extra cost, which I'm want to avoid if possible.

Any help would be appreciative. If you find a solution, please link it as I saw some, but did not know if it would work or not.

Thanks!

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Go to your local audio equipment dealer, they can help you find the right adapter.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Hey everyone. 

Well, my TV from 2007 has bitten the bullet as to say, and I'm thinking about getting a new one. (While a bit sad, allows me to upgrade to a 1080p TV, no more 1680x1050)

Along with it, I want to get a blu-ray player. More specifically this one: Sony BDPS1500.

The only downside is the outputs. It has HDMI, but it also has a Coaxial audio output.

What I want to know.

Is it possible to adapt the Coaxial to RCA (Audio only) for use with my Logitech Z506 Surround Speakers?

I know I can buy an A/V receiver, input the HDMI and split the audio off that way, but that would result in extra cost, which I'm want to avoid if possible.

Any help would be appreciative. If you find a solution, please link it as I saw some, but did not know if it would work or not.

Thanks!

You'd need a DAC for this to work. Most cheaper ones are 2-channel, however (no dolby digital decoder).

doesn't the z506 have dual coax inputs?

edit: yes it does

Mine doesn't - heres an example pic of the I/O ports

9-9-10-logitechz506-60009.jpg

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Most new TVs have RCA stereo sound outputs, or a headphone output.   You could use those to pass the sound from the TV to your speakers. 

That's the easiest solution, even though it won't be surround.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Hey everyone.

Along with it, I want to get a blu-ray player. More specifically this one: Sony BDPS1500.

What I want to know.

Thanks!

Unfortunately the answer is no, not with surround sound anyway. You can try with all sorts of things, but ultimately you need a decoder, which the speaker set does not provide. You need a surround sound DAC, but they are called receivers.

You can do stereo mode at least.