Microsoft Is Working On a Cloud Operating System For the US Government

Story at /.

SmartAboutThings writes

"It seems that Microsoft is relying even more on the opportunities provided by the cloud technology. The Redmond behemoth is preparing to come up with a cloud operating system that is specially meant for government purposes . Government agencies already use two of Microsoft's basic cloud products: Windows Azure and Windows Server. But now it seems that Microsoft is working on a modified version of its somewhat new Cloud OS that could bear the name "Fairfax", Compared to Windows Azure, "Fairfax" cloud operating system would provide  enhanced security, relying on physical servers on site at government locations. Given the fact that CEO Steve Ballmer is striving to make Microsoft much more than a powerful software giant, such a project makes sense, especially because it would help in their lobby activities."

Huh. I wonder what it could/will be used for. (*cough* NSA/PRISM *cough*)

"help their lobby activities"... Lobbying needs to die. :|

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So SkyDrive (or whatever it's called now) isn't usable anymore because they will probably have backdoors everywhere, not to mention their neighbor will be the NSA.

This seems silly. I will never have an OS that is in the cloud if I do not have to. It will basically be just mass virtualization where the computing power and subsequent os is stored in the cloud and then small units for the mouse,keyboard usb and screen are run locally. I would like that to be it.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

I think there is going to be too many issues with hacking, one hack for too many of the governments computer. This could be useful for a hotel or school computer lab though.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd