Good desk microphone for Skype?

NeoFalcon94

I'm looking to get a desk microphone that can pick up multiple people's voices in the room without having to lean into the mic too much. I also need to make sure that it doesn't pick up sound coming from speakers and typing from the keyboard. It doesn't necessarily have to completely mute the keyboard, but it's definitely important to mute the speakers. Since it's for Skype that would be a pain in the ass for other people to have audio loop back around to them.

I've took a look at the Samson Meteor mic, but I'm unsure if that's the one I truly want. Is that the best one to get? If not, I would like something within its price range, which in the UK is £50-60. If there are any other BRILLIANT ones that go slightly over that margin, I may consider them too.

I don't see how that'd be possible. People talking from range and not picking up the speakers.

Don't see that happening.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

I'm looking to get a desk microphone that can pick up multiple people's voices in the room without having to lean into the mic too much. I also need to make sure that it doesn't pick up sound coming from speakers and typing from the keyboard. It doesn't necessarily have to completely mute the keyboard, but it's definitely important to mute the speakers. Since it's for Skype that would be a pain in the ass for other people to have audio loop back around to them.

I've took a look at the Samson Meteor mic, but I'm unsure if that's the one I truly want. Is that the best one to get? If not, I would like something within its price range, which in the UK is £50-60. If there are any other BRILLIANT ones that go slightly over that margin, I may consider them too.

As long as you keep a desk mic near your keyboard, it will pick up the sound.  Especially a mic that is sensitive enough to pick up a group of people sitting around the desk talking into it like at a conference. Your option would be to keep the mic away from the keyboard.

However what you can get is a directional mic instead of omni directional, that mainly picks up sound from one side and not the other.  This way if you keep the keyboard behind the mic the chances of it being heard is reduced.

Look for a microphone with a cardioid polar pattern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone#Microphone_polar_patterns

Now what is your budget for a mic?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Now what is your budget for a mic?

My budget is anywhere up to about £80 at maximum.

a blue snowball might be your best choice 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

My budget is anywhere up to about £80 at maximum.

I would recommend a good shotgun style mic, they are directional so keep your keyboard and mouse behind the mic, aim the mic towards the group of people who are going to talk.  That will work well.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I'm not that familiar with audio stuff, but doesn't software usually filter out sound from speakers?

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I'm not that familiar with audio stuff, but doesn't software usually filter out sound from speakers?

Only if it can recognize where the sound is coming from and depending on the sensitivity level.  It's better to use proper audio hardware to try and reduce all ambient noise you want to cut out before using a software solution.

Shotgun mics are unidirectional cardioid mics, they only pick up audio from the front and almost zero audio from the back.

I have a Rode NTG2 that performs very well in this regard, mounted on my camera it doesn't pick up any of the sounds coming from the camera (shutter clicks, lens AF and focus motor buzz) even though it's only a few inches away while it picks up clear audio from sources several feet in front.

EDIT: just don't set the audio gain or sensitivity level too high, if you put it to max it will certainly pick up audio from any direction as soundwaves bounce off walls.

The only type of microphone for this kind of application would be a shotgun mic. Even then it isn't ideal.