Please help! Need a new motherboard!

Go to solution Solved by MIKEY_1214,

@brandishwar Thanks i have actually done that but just with a little USB fan till i can get another motherboard. my chassis doesn't really have anywhere to mount any fans without it being a complete JimmyRig, And i tried to keep my build as clean as i could! but it was a good idea anyway! just going to order a new motherboard. and @incarnate I have listened to your "Reason" And it has been noted. However i like AMD and as i already had an AMD MotherBoard i got an AMD CPU, yes i have to get a new motherboard anyway, But i didn't know i would have to. and now seeing as i have the FX-8350 i plan on getting a motherboard for it. i see no reason to sell my 3 week old CPU for a fraction of what it cost (Because it's Used) just to pay even more for Intel because someone else likes them better. So your Opinion has been noted! but I'm going to stick with AMD because that's what i want and it's my System. If you don't like it, That's okay because it is Mine. and you don't have to post on the thread. Thank you tho! so i will be getting the Crosshair V. Now if anyone has anything, (That will help me with my question) On how to clock my RAM/CPU to get the most out of my 2400MHz. i would love the input! If not i guess this thread is done, And i will look elsewhere! Thank you guys for the help! And even for the opinions! even if it was a little rude.

Hey guys, So i just built a new system, It's my first build and I'm starting to see i didn't cover all my bases with my research. lol. So first off i'll list my specs then get down to the problem and see if i can get some help and recommendations. Thanks In Advance! (Sorry this is so long!) 

MotherBoard: MSI 970A-G45. 

CPU: AMD FX-8350, AM3+ 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) 125Watt, 8MB L3 Cache

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Memory: 16GB G.Skill TridentX (2X8GB) 2400MHz DDR3, Cas Latency 10, 1.65 Volts, Not sure if it matters but the timing is 10-12-12-31.

Graphics: XFX Radeon HD7950 DD (X2 CrossFire).

Power Supply: Corsair CX750M 80+ Bronze (750Watt)

Storage: 480GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD, 1TB WesternDigital Cavier Green, 2TB SeaGate Barracuda.

ASUS AC-1900 Dual Band Wireless Adapter.

Alright so those are the specs, Now down to the problem. So after a while of heavy CPU use (About 5 Mins at 100%) My Processor starts Throttling and The temp (All CPU Meter) Jumps up to around 255C, Now obviously the CPU temp Isn't really getting that high otherwise I'm sure there would be smoke and melting and stuff. So i did some research! It seems to be a very common issue with this CPU, MotherBoard combo. So after countless hours of research, And trying everything I could find online, and nothing working, I found something about it being caused by the MotherBoard, So i did some troubleshooting of my own, And found out that it is from the MosFets by the CPU Heating up, Now i confirmed this by letting it Heat up and start throttling, Then took a can of compressed air and blew off the MosFets, and The temp Starts dropping really fast till it stops throttling and the temp returns to normal. So I need a new BotherBoard. So if any of you guys have similar builds i need some recommendations on a new MotherBoard!  Now that kinda leads to another small issue. So My RAM is currently only Running at 1600MHz because it wasn't stable at anything higher. Now i know this is largely because the FX Series CPU Can't handle much. So I want a motherboard that has the best chance of getting the most out of my RAM, and then if you guys could help me do whatever Overclocking is needed to get the most out of my ram, I think I've read that the FX series can handle 2133MHz so if i can atleast get that, i would be happy with it. So any recommendations on a MotherBoard i will get one ordered as soon as i decide what i want (based off your recommendations) Then any help towards Overclocking The CPU for the higher ram Frequency would be really awesome! Also quick note! i don't really care what the price is! Preferably not over $500 tho lol. Also Would prefer if it was a red color scheme to match my build.

Thanks a ton in advance!! 

MIKE

Hey guys, So i just built a new system, It's my first build and I'm starting to see i didn't cover all my bases with my research. lol. So first off i'll list my specs then get down to the problem and see if i can get some help and recommendations. Thanks In Advance! (Sorry this is so long!) 

Memory: 16GB G.Skill TridentX (2X8GB) 2400MHz DDR3, Cas Latency 10, 1.65 Volts, Not sure if it matters but the timing is 10-12-12-31.

Storage: 480GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD, 1TB WesternDigital Cavier Green, 2TB SeaGate Barracuda.

Alright so those are the specs, Now down to the problem. So after a while of heavy CPU use (About 5 Mins at 100%) My Processor starts Throttling and The temp (All CPU Meter) Jumps up to around 255C, Now obviously the CPU temp Isn't really getting that high otherwise I'm sure there would be smoke and melting and stuff. So i did some research! It seems to be a very common issue with this CPU, MotherBoard combo. So after countless hours of research, And trying everything I could find online, and nothing working, I found something about it being caused by the MotherBoard, So i did some troubleshooting of my own, And found out that it is from the MosFets by the CPU Heating up, Now i confirmed this by letting it Heat up and start throttling, Then took a can of compressed air and blew off the MosFets, and The temp Starts dropping really fast till it stops throttling and the temp returns to normal. So I need a new BotherBoard. So if any of you guys have similar builds i need some recommendations on a new MotherBoard!  Now that kinda leads to another small issue. So My RAM is currently only Running at 1600MHz because it wasn't stable at anything higher. Now i know this is largely because the FX Series CPU Can't handle much. So I want a motherboard that has the best chance of getting the most out of my RAM, and then if you guys could help me do whatever Overclocking is needed to get the most out of my ram, I think I've read that the FX series can handle 2133MHz so if i can atleast get that, i would be happy with it. So any recommendations on a MotherBoard i will get one ordered as soon as i decide what i want (based off your recommendations) Then any help towards Overclocking The CPU for the higher ram Frequency would be really awesome! Also quick note! i don't really care what the price is! Preferably not over $500 tho lol. Also Would prefer if it was a red color scheme to match my build.

MIKE

Welcome to the Forum!

If this is a serious issue you can probably disable CPU temperature monitoring in your BIOS and then it will stop you from thermal throttling. My old M5A78L-M/USB3 reports that it's at -127C.

I'm too tired to properly read a wall of text, but you shouldn't really be caring about your RAM speed as it won't make much difference in most cases.

If you want an upgrade then move to an Intel CPU/motherboard because your 8350 is probably bottlenecking your 7950s.

Sig under construction.

MIKE

look at gigabyte. the 99fxa-ud3 and the 970a-ud3p are nice quality and completely black so they fit any colour scheme. my advice would be to upgrade to a i5 as soon as you can and you'll be okay. 

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

Thank you guys for the quick replies! @Tedster I've looked into it and done all i could find in my BIOS and still had the issue. I think the best plan will be to just get another Motherboard, And i will use this one for another lower end build. @Atomicnerd64 Thanks for the recommendations! i'll look into those! and black works! I've thought about trying Intel but as i already had an AMD socket Motherboard i bought this 8350, And it was a lot cheaper then Intel. also i do a lot of video editing and rendering, and work with Adobe AE and Photoshop and stuff, So that is one of the reasons i want to run my Ram at the higher frequency. and wen't with the 8350. I'm sure it's probably bottlenecking my GPU's but i don't usually play anything really Graphic intense. So thanks for the input! but i think im going to stick with my 8350. :)

Any more Help or recommendations on a board? i kinda have my eye set on the ASUS ROG CrossHair V Formula Z. but am still open to suggestions. and if anybody has any tips on what i will need to do to get my ram to run the full 2400MHz or at-least close! it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Any more Help or recommendations on a board? i kinda have my eye set on the ASUS ROG CrossHair V Formula Z. but am still open to suggestions. and if anybody has any tips on what i will need to do to get my ram to run the full 2400MHz or at-least close! it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

For 500.00, I'd highly recommend you sell your 8350 and get a xeon e3 1231 and a good h97 mobo. This will out perform the 8350 in every way. Seriously, fx cpus make no sense now.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

For 500.00, I'd highly recommend you sell your 8350 and get a xeon e3 1231 and a good h97 mobo. This will out perform the 8350 in every way. Seriously, fx cpus make no sense now.

@incarnate Thanks for your Input! i appreciate it a lot! However I already have the FX-8350 and i plan on sticking with it. i know there's a whole lot of back and forth between AMD and Intel. and Intel seems to be a favorite! but i like AMD and i'm going to stick with AMD. So thanks! So really i just want to know if there is anyone that has the ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula Z with this CPU and what they think about it. and if there is anyone that has done, Or has info on getting my ram to run at it's full potential. (Not By Switching To Intel) Thanks Guys!

Depending on your chassis, you could consider something that'll allow you to get air blowing directly onto the VRMs. A couple small, quiet 40mm fans and a way of attaching them could help keep the VRMs a little cooler, especially since airflow to them is likely blocked a little by your RAM.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Talk about an entirely predictable response. Someone posts "I have an FX processor and I'm having [insert concern]" and invariably someone will respond with "Sell it and buy Intel!" Ugh...

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

@

incarnate Thanks for your Input! i appreciate it a lot! However I already have the FX-8350 and i plan on sticking with it. i know there's a whole lot of back and forth between AMD and Intel. and Intel seems to be a favorite! but i like AMD and i'm going to stick with AMD. So thanks! So really i just want to know if there is anyone that has the ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula Z with this CPU and what they think about it. and if there is anyone that has done, Or has info on getting my ram to run at it's full potential. (Not By Switching To Intel) Thanks Guys!

The reason Intel seems to be a favorite is because amd has nothing to show for the last 3 years. They came out with some cherry picked 8350s and some forgettable apus and have lost the battle of price to performance ratio thanks to requiring more expensive motherboards. the xeon would literally run circles around the 8350 for the price of the motherboard you are asking about.

But since you're dead set on not listening to reason, that motherboard is about the best you can get.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Talk about an entirely predictable response. Someone posts "I have an FX processor and I'm having [insert concern]" and invariably someone will respond with "Sell it and buy Intel!" Ugh...

Right cuz with a budget of 500.00 for mobo and cooling, an Intel solution is completely outlandish.

My rig:

Right cuz with a budget of 500.00 for mobo and cooling, an Intel solution is completely outlandish.

Except your response to just sell what he has and buy a Xeon doesn't answer his question and is more condescending than anything. You don't know why he went with AMD. You're just assuming he must be misinformed or "irrational". In which case all you're doing is insulting him instead of helping him.

@brandishwar Thanks i have actually done that but just with a little USB fan till i can get another motherboard. my chassis doesn't really have anywhere to mount any fans without it being a complete JimmyRig, And i tried to keep my build as clean as i could! but it was a good idea anyway! just going to order a new motherboard. and @incarnate I have listened to your "Reason" And it has been noted. However i like AMD and as i already had an AMD MotherBoard i got an AMD CPU, yes i have to get a new motherboard anyway, But i didn't know i would have to. and now seeing as i have the FX-8350 i plan on getting a motherboard for it. i see no reason to sell my 3 week old CPU for a fraction of what it cost (Because it's Used) just to pay even more for Intel because someone else likes them better. So your Opinion has been noted! but I'm going to stick with AMD because that's what i want and it's my System. If you don't like it, That's okay because it is Mine. and you don't have to post on the thread. Thank you tho! so i will be getting the Crosshair V. Now if anyone has anything, (That will help me with my question) On how to clock my RAM/CPU to get the most out of my 2400MHz. i would love the input! If not i guess this thread is done, And i will look elsewhere! Thank you guys for the help! And even for the opinions! even if it was a little rude.