Cat5e Phone cables as ethernet cables.

shirokado

I checked around my doors and stuff and there seems to be a 980feet, yes a Nine Hundred and Eighty Feet Cat5e Phone cable(well thats what the ends look like) running around my house. can i somehow use that as an Ethernet cable? im using powerline right now but its sometimes annoying.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

So it has RJ11 plugs ? If its 2 pair then you will only get 10/100 speeds

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Also depends on how far you intend running. You would almost certainly need to reduce the length of the cable.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Ethernet can run about 100 meters / 300 feet. CAT5e is just a specification of cable. You can terminate it with different ends and use for different things, phone, networking, signaling, etc.

As said, you will have to cut it down to length - you will have massive loss on something that long, if it works at all. You will also most likely have to cut the existing ends off and re-terminate them with proper RJ45 ends and proper pairing of the cables.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

• 2 months later...

I wonder if its possible for you to buy some cat5e or cat6 and use the POTS wiring as a sort of pull to get your cat cable in the wall. For speeds this would be most ideal.

You can as long as the POTS wiring is loose enough to pull, this is actaully the way to do it use something in there to get new wires in the wall.

Else you just tape off the end and lower it top down and hope it comes out somewhere near the hole :D

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Do you mean that the jacket has "980 feet" marked on it? If so, that is nothing more than a length marking repeated every so often that you can use to make pulls off of the spool.

Cat5e is a specification that means it will have 8 wires that have pairs twisted for 100 Mhz, it is used for both phone or internet, and will work just fine.

I doubt the cable is that long, if it says it on the jacket it is how far from the spool it is.  Spools of Cat5e come in 305m.  Also OP please take a picture of the ends for us to help you better :) 

Worse comes to worse and it doesn't work, Do what Rufee said and tape new cable on to an end and pull it through.  Pull two though!