Microsoft Surface Pro 3 vs Apple iPad Pro?

Which do you think is simply the better productivity device? Why though?  Keeping in mind that both think that their offerings offer better productivity than the other.

Surface, for obvious reasons

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

^^^^^^^

I think the Surface Pro 3 wins hands down. The ipad Pro is still IOS with better multitasking. But the Surface Pro is a full computer. It comes with the pen which allows full photoshop and many other Adobe program support. You actually get a full sized USB etc. The "Pro" in the Ipad Pro is more of a marketing strategy than anything. But I have no hate towards Apple. I have an Ipad Air 2.

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

Surface pro because full windows.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Or you could get a "surface" killer:

http://www.teclast.com/en/zt/X98Produalos/

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Are you comparing a full OS device with a blown up version of a mobile OS for productivity? Please show yourself out. This isn't even a question, there is no competition. Maybe if it ran OS X you could compare them. :)

looks good :o

Dude it is fake. The device size is not matching the one of the Surface Pro, yet it uses Surface Pro covers base don the picture, the pen changed between pictures, form generic to Surface Pro 2 stolen image.

The product is real, the page is 100% fake with fake specs.

The page says 4K, but the pre-order page says: 2048x1536. The only thing that is correct is the Atom CPU, assuming it won't throttle like crazy.

Dude it is fake. The device size is not matching the one of the Surface Pro, yet it uses Surface Pro covers base don the picture, the pen changed between pictures, form generic to Surface Pro 2 stolen image.

The product is real, the page is 100% fake with fake specs.

The page says 4K, but the pre-order page says: 2048x1536. The only thing that is correct is the Atom CPU, assuming it won't throttle like crazy.

4K output i think

The Surface 3 or Pro 3.
Obviously the Pro 3 is far faster, and will handle multi-tasking far better, than the Surface 3, especially if you can get the i5 CPU model (you'll have some serious ultrabook performance).

What you gain from the Surface 3/Pro 3

• Ability to adjust the screen angle for best viewing experience based on desk height, your size, especially the Pro 3 which give you full control (Surface 3 has only 3 positions), and support a nice angle for drawing.
  • Full size USB 3.0 port, and charging only port on the power adapter of the Surface Pro 3.
  • Run x86 programs (32 and 64-bit)

• The pen has replaceable battery. The Apple one you need to connect the long pen on the device lightning connector and wait for it to charge (yes, if you hit the pen, the pen will break, and potentially damage the port, as it just hands out on the center of the device where the port is. There is no cable for it, and you can't use the device in landscape as you charge the device (because the pen will be on the way)).

• Surface 3 and Pro 3 features 2 buttons on the pen: One for right-clicks, and the other for activating the eraser functionality. An addition button is at the top of the pen (where you normally have and eraser on a pencil, or button to slide out the pen form a mechanical one) for start OneNote (can't be changed to the program you want, sadly. but there are workarounds (http://www.lovemysurface.net/surface-pro-3-purple-button/, as always, because it is Windows. Not sure how well it works. I have a SP2 not a SP3. Different pen technology)

• The Surface 3 and Pro 3 has expandable storage (micro-SD card slot. Up to 128GB micro-SD card support, if I am not mistaken. But please verify before purchase)
  • The keyboard cover is backlit, and has a touchpad. Yes, it is small one, and yes it isn't the best. But it works, and is decent.
  • Surface Pro 3 is 12inch, the iPad Pro is 13inch (12.9inch)

What you gain with the iPad Pro over the Surface Pro:

• Slightly higher resolution (2,732 x 2,048 vs 2,160 x 1,440)
  • Slightly lighter than Surface Pro 3 (1.57 lbs vs 1.76 lbs). The Surface 3 is: 1.37lbs. All weight is without the keyboard cover and pen. Just the device itself.
  • 8MB camera (Surface 3 and Pro 3 has a 5MP one. I believe the Surface 3 has auto-focus, but not the Pro 3 (the Pro 3 was release much before))
  • 10h of battery life (claimed by Apple), vs 9h of battery life (claimed by Microsoft)

• Care free. The Surface 3 and Pro 3 body is in magnesium, a material that is lighter and stronger than aluminum however, can't be died in a color, and no paint color, doesn't look nice like aluminum. As it is paint, anything will scratch, even putting it on the table. You always have to be careful when putting on a table, to put it on the side of the keyboard cover. And you may want to get a sleeve for the device with soft interior if your backpack doesn't have a soft, fabric like, inner pocket.

• Ability to use touch screen and pen.. however, there is no demo of palm rejection (well its really: disable touch screen when pen is hovering on the screen) which the Surface line have. All the videos I have seen, the pen drawing on the device, the palm is not touching the screen. So I guess it doesn't have one.

If I didn't miss anything, this is a comparison between devices.

iPad Pro, at least it's real tablet. Windows just isn't an operating system I'd like to see on a tablet. And I mostly use an iPad for Microsoft remote desktop to my servers, the windows version is not made for touch screen use, so that works horrible.

Surface pro 3 has more capabilities but Apple iPad pro's operating system is well suited for it

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

The one thing that people have alluded to but not really directly mentioned yet is that the Surface Pro 3 is x86. The iPad Pro is still based on ARM, I'm pretty sure. ARM is fine for consumer mobile applications, but if you need power, x86 is where you go. That's the defining point for me. The Surface Pro 3 is a full desktop machine, while the iPad Pro is just a larger iPad that will probably be used for the same things as every other iPad. Surfing, reading and showing off to "friends". imho not worth its price tag. The Surface Pro... less so. I wouldn't buy either, but the Surface Pro 3 is in a totally different league.

Neither.

PC at the desk, small tablet for on the road stuff where a laptop is too big/cumbersome; laptop for the rest of it.

If I had to choose one, Surface Pro 3, though I would hate to use one as a tablet for a prolonged amount of time.

iPad Pro, at least it's real tablet. Windows just isn't an operating system I'd like to see on a tablet. And I mostly use an iPad for Microsoft remote desktop to my servers, the windows version is not made for touch screen use, so that works horrible.

But Windows has a touch version.. https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9wzdncrfj3ps

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

surface 3  the ipad pro was just announced it hasent even come out yet also it ends up being way more expensive then any surface pro at launch

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but why are people freaking out over the iPad Pro? Obviously the Surface Pro 3 offers more bang for your buck, but not every person is concerned with that. I can easily think of uses where a person would buy an iPad Pro over the Surface. 

Also, did you know that Office is free for iPad? Sure you don't get all the fancy bells and whistles but free is free and office is not free with a Surface Pro 3.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but why are people freaking out over the iPad Pro? Obviously the Surface Pro 3 offers more bang for your buck, but not every person is concerned with that. I can easily think of uses where a person would buy an iPad Pro over the Surface. 

Also, did you know that Office is free for iPad? Sure you don't get all the fancy bells and whistles but free is free and office is not free with a Surface Pro 3.

You'd already have Office if you need it. And you can use the web version of Office on the Surface Pro 3. Also OneNote is free.

The software that uses the pen, assuming you do need it, hence have the software, is far more developed on Windows. You have more features in them, and more choices of software.

You can also connect the system to a monitor, such as a true 8-bit IPS color calibrated monitor for the best color accuracy when seeing your work. So assuming you are satisfied with the performance, not only you have a smaller system, but also you can use it as a desktop computer to some extent. It also support Miracast, so you can use many Smart TV that has support to display your work on a screen, or use the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, which is a miracast device that compares with the 100$-120$ ones but cost only 60$, and is small stick, great for travailing if you do presentations in an office, stream something to a hotel TV, or at home. OR simply you can use a mini-DP cabel to HDMI or full size DP, and connect it to a TV/monitor.

You'd already have Office if you need it. And you can use the web version of Office on the Surface Pro 3. Also OneNote is free.

The software that uses the pen, assuming you do need it, hence have the software, is far more developed on Windows. You have more features in them, and more choices of software.

You can also connect the system to a monitor, such as a true 8-bit IPS color calibrated monitor for the best color accuracy when seeing your work. So assuming you are satisfied with the performance, not only you have a smaller system, but also you can use it as a desktop computer to some extent. It also support Miracast, so you can use many Smart TV that has support to display your work on a screen, or use the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, which is a miracast device that compares with the 100$-120$ ones but cost only 60$, and is small stick, great for travailing if you do presentations in an office, stream something to a hotel TV, or at home. OR simply you can use a mini-DP cabel to HDMI or full size DP, and connect it to a TV/monitor.

I was just giving an example so I'm really not disagreeing with you. But not everybody 'already has office'. And onenote is not the same thing at all. 

Like I said in my post, the Surface Pro 3 offers more bang for the buck. I think anybody to argue against that is off their rocker. 

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

I thought the free version of Office for the iPad was limited unless you had a 365 subscription. At least that it is how it started out. You were only able to view documents. Unless you got 365 then making it possible to edit documents. Windows 10 also has free mobile office as well. But also requires a 365 subscription for edit. I haven't seen anything about Microsoft changing that unless they made an exception for the iPad pro but I haven't read any articles mentioning that.

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |