What GPU set up?

Sylar1155

Hello everyone.. 

I've been looking at a new GPU to buy, I at the moment have 3 19" acer monitors, and a 22" Dell monitor sat above all 3 for a "sky view" in games.

I plan to soon see if anyone will swap for a monitor that is 1440p or maybe 2160p, but 2160p would be pushing it a bit.

I've spotted the 980TI as being the best card for the money at the moment. But ive also heard that 2 970's in SLI is around 5 - 10% better in performance? Is this true? Its also a cheaper solution..

Is there any other card set up that is equivalent to the 980TI? I was thinking about 2 780Ti's but i haven't done enough research.

Any suggestions?

I've spotted the 980TI as being the best card for the money at the moment. But ive also heard that 2 970's in SLI is around 5 - 10% better in performance? Is this true? Its also a cheaper solution..

Is there any other card set up that is equivalent to the 980TI? I was thinking about 2 780Ti's but i haven't done enough research.

2 970s will be better in performance by a little bit, however it has less VRAM, which is crucial for the fact that you are running more displays (and are planning to game on all of them..?). The 970s SLI will also give you less upgradability, as you can add a 2nd 980Ti down the road if you want to. You will also have a higher temperature if you are running the 970s in SLI.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

You have to take in SLI/CF compatibility into consideration. However most AAA titles should support it. Still there are some bugs with SLI/CF setups like micro-stuttering and driver support from both sides. I would personally just get the 980 Ti and SLI that later when money comes in and you need a perf boost. 

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

2 970s will be better in performance by a little bit, however it has less VRAM, which is crucial for the fact that you are running more displays (and are planning to game on all of them..?). The 970s SLI will also give you less upgradability, as you can add a 2nd 980Ti down the road if you want to. You will also have a higher temperature if you are running the 970s in SLI.

I will be gaming on 3 of them, but they have low resolutions, not even 1080p.. They're 1920 x 1024. I think 2 970's would be fine for the 3?

The 980 Ti would still give you more headroom if you decide to push the pixels, not to mention the choice of adding a 2nd card.

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

The 980 Ti would still give you more headroom if you decide to push the pixels, not to mention the choice of adding a 2nd card.

I will keep that in mind, its a pretty hard decision to make for me lol

I'd go the 980ti rout, personally. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

970 sli is better on performance but they only have 4gb of vram, most games these days dont have sli scaling issues but if you dont currently own a 970 id get a 980ti, im personally getting another 970 as im planning 1440p and currently owning one will save me money rather than buying a 980ti. 

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

970 sli is better on performance but they only have 4gb of vram, most games these days dont have sli scaling issues but if you dont currently own a 970 id get a 980ti, im personally getting another 970 as im planning 1440p and currently owning one will save me money rather than buying a 980ti. 

Honestly 970 sli vs 980ti is the same. You have to deal with scaling and so on.

OP. Pick 980ti and upgrade later if you want.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Honestly 970 sli vs 980ti is the same. You have to deal with scaling and so on.

OP. Pick 980ti and upgrade later if you want.

not at 4k, the 980ti beats 970sli in some games at 4k and with more vram thats not gimped by 0.5 it will help in the future.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

A fast custom 980Ti now. Extreme fast, no SLI Problems. When the time comes you just ad a second Card and be done again for a long time.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

not at 4k, the 980ti beats 970sli in some games at 4k and with more vram thats not gimped by 0.5 it will help in the future.

The 970sli is good enough for 4K but not for very long. I had two G1 in SLI on a 4k monitor and everything ran fine however I upgraded to 980ti SLI for obvious reasons. I would still go with a single 980ti. It's better all around card.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

The 970sli is good enough for 4K but not for very long. I had two G1 in SLI on a 4k monitor and everything ran fine however I upgraded to 980ti SLI for obvious reasons. I would still go with a single 980ti. It's better all around card.

would you recommend 970 sli to someone who already owns a single 970? did you test 1440p, this is what im planning on, not 4k just yet.

how would 2 390X's cope with my set up? I know they arent the best but since i have multiple monitors 8GB would be a benefit?

how would 2 390X's cope with my set up? I know they arent the best but since i have multiple monitors 8GB would be a benefit?

390x cf would do swell, deffo more powerful than a 980ti.

390x cf would do swell, deffo more powerful than a 980ti.

What about driver issues?

If it was my money then this would be the route that I took. The level of doubt over team green and DX12 would be enough for me to either buy AMD or wait until there is more certainty.

there are none i dont believe. the only thing that the 390x will  use over the 980 is more power, you  could go sli 980.

Do you run this setup? if so what driver issues have you experienced? I run a 295x2 and don't get any driver issues at all.

Do you run this setup? if so what driver issues have you experienced? I run a 295x2 and don't get any driver issues at all.

I plan to be running this set up, either 2 970's in SLI or 2 390X's in Crossfire and im gaming on 3-4 monitors.

I plan to be running this set up, either 2 970's in SLI or 2 390X's in Crossfire and im gaming on 3-4 monitors.

I don't think that driver issues are as common as they once were. Driver support (on the AMD side at least) has been a bit iffy in the past but I think that it is team green who have been having more driver issues in recent weeks plus the whole dx12 thing. Team Red is where the safe money goes IMHO

I don't think that driver issues are as common as they once were. Driver support (on the AMD side at least) has been a bit iffy in the past but I think that it is team green who have been having more driver issues in recent weeks plus the whole dx12 thing. Team Red is where the safe money goes IMHO

Thats definitely good news then, it looks like im going with 2 390X's, 8GB's sounds really appealing to me.. But when i decide to switch to a 4K monitor, will these cards cope with it?

Thats definitely good news then, it looks like im going with 2 390X's, 8GB's sounds really appealing to me.. But when i decide to switch to a 4K monitor, will these cards cope with it?

I can't say for definate, but AMD seems to be better at the higher resolutions than their team green counterparts. Maybe look into the Nano/Fury range if budget allows.

I can't say for definate, but AMD seems to be better at the higher resolutions than their team green counterparts. Maybe look into the Nano/Fury range if budget allows.

I can afford a Fury X, but only one.. Ill do a little research and look at benchmarks!