HDD's

mafal54

Hello Guys,
I moved yesterday and as I fired up my PC 3 of my 5 HDD's were not working.
Every HDD Works fine at other PC's.
And every HDD gets recognized in BIOS. 
But Windows only shows 2, which drive will be recognized depends on the sata cable.
Only via 2 sata cables the HDD's will be shown in windows. 
So how can the Bios detect all but windows only shows 2 and why does it depend on the Cable?!

So if anyone has some good ideas, please tell me.

are you sure the cables are tight ?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Check in disk manager do they show up in there?

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Check in disk manager do they show up in there?

They Don't show there!

And Cables are Tight Bios gets them...

cc: Captain_WD

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Scan for hardware changes in device manager

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

~snip~

Hey there mafal54,

Besides BIOS and Disk Management, I'd also check Device Manager and see if there's something there. I'd also double-check all the SATA cables and SATA power cables both on the drives and the motherboard. Try swapping cables and ports around and see if that changes anything. Also try running the computer on your boot drive plus one more (each drive at a time) and see if all of them get recognized individually. 
If not, reset the BIOS and check again. As @Kirky2k15 suggested, check for any hardware changes. 
Can you feel the drives spinning? What's their brand and model? I'd also suggest running a diagnostic tool to check their health if they get recognized. My recommendation would be to use a tool provided by the drive's manufacturer. For WD drives that would be WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=zJcZgO

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there mafal54,

Besides BIOS and Disk Management, I'd also check Device Manager and see if there's something there. I'd also double-check all the SATA cables and SATA power cables both on the drives and the motherboard. Try swapping cables and ports around and see if that changes anything. Also try running the computer on your boot drive plus one more (each drive at a time) and see if all of them get recognized individually. 
If not, reset the BIOS and check again. As @Kirky2k15 suggested, check for any hardware changes. 
Can you feel the drives spinning? What's their brand and model? I'd also suggest running a diagnostic tool to check their health if they get recognized. My recommendation would be to use a tool provided by the drive's manufacturer. For WD drives that would be WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=zJcZgO

Captain_WD.

Hey, 

Every Drive works and got power, and bios recognizes all!

But only Windows will recognize HDD's on only 2 Ports...  

Hey, 

Every Drive works and got power, and bios recognizes all!

But only Windows will recognize HDD's on only 2 Ports...  

As @vpavlicevic suggested, you should check if you have all the recent OS, driver and BIOS updates installed on your system. 
Could you post a screenshot of your Device Manager and Disk Management?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Thanks for the help, I got the problem solved by first disabling and then enabling the sata controler again in bios. 
Now every HDD is recognized again.