Preparing for Gigabit internet.

LimpCurve

So with the generally positive reviews of Google's OnHub router and my moving to Raleigh, NC, I've been preparing all the information I can on how to achieve the fastest gigabit internet possible without any bottleneck from core components. I haven't been able to find much though, I know Wendell posted a video on TekSyndicate for 10 Gigabit but there seems to be little information around the web for the best deals to prepare for single gigabit internet. What components should I consider getting for the best 'experience'? I'd like to see the components being generally cheap yet user friendly (when I say "cheap", I don't mean OH HERE'S ONE FOR $200+. The Google OnHub is going to be the most expensive single component I buy, that is final.) Knowing the names of general components should be enough for me to start my own search. Thank you all for the help.

P.S. I use this font since socks and sandals... Have a great day!

Edited by Blade of Grass
Removed unnecessarily large font size and font

you should consider getting a SSD b/c you'll never write a gig a second to a hard drive :L 

you should consider getting a SSD b/c you'll never write a gig a second to a hard drive :L 

Have one

10Gbit LAN isnt ready for home use yet.

until such time is there, gigabit switches can be had for the cheap (€25 for 5-port ones in my area), word is my ISP is even giving them away for free, still need to test that one :P

Have one

Just remember, you should invest into a mass storage SSD, or SSHD If you only have a hard drive you will have a botteneck, A lot more writing to disk, a lot less downloading 

Just remember, you should invest into a mass storage SSD, or SSHD If you only have a hard drive you will have a botteneck, A lot more writing to disk, a lot less downloading 

I'm not running a business, just home internet. Would a PCIe SSD do? Something like this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104545 

Edit: Looked up Google's router, found out it certainly does have 2x Gb ports. Personally, you would be better off with different router, but if you need something simple to hookup and use then it would be perfect in your case for a 1GB connection. 

The only other thing you need to know about is your devices. If they don't have a 5Ghz band WiFi chip, then your real world speeds will be around 60mbps. For devices that have the 5Ghz band, you will see roughly 250-500mbps speeds. However, distance is a bigger factor for 5Ghz, as it is a short-range high speed type of signal compared to 2.4Ghz which is longer-range slower speed. 

--- Unsure if you are getting Gb connection or 10Gb connection. However, based on your knowledge level, I'd suggest to stay away with 10Gb. As you would require expensive hardware anywhere on the used market between $500 to $1,500+ for new equipment. You would also need to configure managed switch, AP,  10Gb NICs, etc.  

do you want gigabit network or 10gb?

gigabit is common, but setting up 10Gb is whole different balls game.

fir gigabit, router with gigabit port is enough, or if your router don't have much port or just 1 port, you can get 5ports gigabit switch

Cat5e cable, or Cat 6

1gbps NIC which is most computer already use.

how much does it cost?, on average you can get the setup done with $100 or less if you get some deals.

10Gbit?

good luck not spending less than $500 for current price tag.

He's talking a gigabit , not a gigabyte Internet.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Edit: Looked up Google's router, found out it certainly does have 2x Gb ports. Personally, you would be better off with different router, but if you need something simple to hookup and use then it would be perfect in your case for a 1GB connection. 

The only other thing you need to know about is your devices. If they don't have a 5Ghz band WiFi chip, then your real world speeds will be around 60mbps. For devices that have the 5Ghz band, you will see roughly 250-500mbps speeds. However, distance is a bigger factor for 5Ghz, as it is a short-range high speed type of signal compared to 2.4Ghz which is longer-range slower speed. 

--- Unsure if you are getting Gb connection or 10Gb connection. However, based on your knowledge level, I'd suggest to stay away with 10Gb. As you would require expensive hardware anywhere on the used market between $500 to $1,500+ for new equipment. You would also need to configure managed switch, AP,  10Gb NICs, etc.  

do you want gigabit network or 10gb?

gigabit is common, but setting up 10Gb is whole different balls game.

fir gigabit, router with gigabit port is enough, or if your router don't have much port or just 1 port, you can get 5ports gigabit switch

Cat5e cable, or Cat 6

1gbps NIC which is most computer already use.

how much does it cost?, on average you can get the setup done with $100 or less if you get some deals.

10Gbit?

good luck not spending less than $500 for current price tag.

I'm getting Google Fiber which is single gigabit internet. The OnHub is mainly a wireless router with great range and simple setup (supposedly). My connection is going to be mostly wireless and those components seem to work best wired. Any advice there? If my devices don't support 5Ghz band I'd get a USB/PCI wireless adapter. Only problem is that I can't find many good ones which support full 1 gigabit connection. 

He's talking a gigabit , not a gigabyte Internet.

still

a SSD only writes 500 MB a sec 

Any decent metal-encased gigabit switch will handle your wired gigabit connections just fine, even if the router you have isn't gigabit.

The switch will get IP addresses from the router but route direct IP-to-IP connections through the gigabit ports on the switch internally.

I've personally been using a Cisco SD2008v3 from 2008 as a gigabit switch for 5 years and have never had any troubles with it.

(It's actually hooked up to my router using a homemade 2ft cat5e cable that has fire hazard written all over it. Full Gig speeds work great!)

Obviously you'll want a gigabit router though to obtain the best throughput to your wireless devices.

Keep in mind as others have said here that you won't see gigabit wireless speeds unless both your router and devices are capable of wireless AC speeds over 5GHz.

You'll need a good wireless AC 5GHz router (AC2400 or better) and a wireless receiver (built-in card or external USB3.0) that can match the same speeds.

Ideally, the receiver would be internal with at least a 3x3 MIMO antenna configuration. A USB one needs to be USB3.0 or you can forget gigabit.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Any decent metal-encased gigabit switch will handle your wired gigabit connections just fine, even if the router you have isn't gigabit.

The switch will get IP addresses from the router but route direct IP-to-IP connections through the gigabit ports on the switch internally.

I've personally been using a Cisco SD2008v3 from 2008 as a gigabit switch for 5 years and have never had any troubles with it.

(It's actually hooked up to my router using a homemade 2ft cat5e cable that has fire hazard written all over it. Full Gig speeds work great!)

Obviously you'll want a gigabit router though to obtain the best throughput to your wireless devices.

Keep in mind as others have said here that you won't see gigabit wireless speeds unless both your router and devices are capable of wireless AC speeds over 5GHz.

You'll need a good wireless AC 5GHz router (AC2400 or better) and a wireless receiver (built-in card or external USB3.0) that can match the same speeds.

Ideally, the receiver would be internal with at least a 3x3 MIMO antenna configuration. A USB one needs to be USB3.0 or you can forget gigabit.

I'm getting Google Fiber which is single gigabit internet. The OnHub is mainly a wireless router with great range and simple setup (supposedly). My connection is going to be mostly wireless and those components seem to work best wired. Any advice there? If my devices don't support 5Ghz band I'd get a USB/PCI wireless adapter. Only problem is that I can't find many good ones which support full 1 gigabit connection. 

still

ok whats your point?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

For PCI adapters I'd recommend something like TP-LINK's Archer series or ASUS AC series.

There's nothing yet that I see on the USB 3.0 side of things that will actually give you more than the 867Mbps theoretical throughput.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

So with the generally positive reviews of Google's OnHub router and my moving to Raleigh, NC, I've been preparing all the information I can on how to achieve the fastest gigabit internet possible without any bottleneck from core components. I haven't been able to find much though, I know Wendell posted a video on TekSyndicate for 10 Gigabit but there seems to be little information around the web for the best deals to prepare for single gigabit internet. What components should I consider getting for the best 'experience'? I'd like to see the components being generally cheap yet user friendly (when I say "cheap", I don't mean OH HERE'S ONE FOR $200+. The Google OnHub is going to be the most expensive single component I buy, that is final.) Knowing the names of general components should be enough for me to start my own search. Thank you all for the help.

P.S. I use this font since socks and sandals... Have a great day!

Salsbury, nc which is about 130 miles from Raleigh is getting 10 gigabit. internet, Raleigh is getting Google fiber, which I am happy about. I live about 20 miles from Raleigh and even though my little community at this time is not on list for google fiber, TWC is upping my internet speed  for no additional cost to make them more competitive with google so they are hoping not to loose as many customers. Still 300mbps is way less than 1gbps.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Honestly, just about any networking equipment you buy will be completely gigabit ready. Gigabit has been the standard for a long time, and the slower stuff while still available, has pretty much died off.

If you do any wiring, make sure it is at least Cat5e and not the older Cat5.

You could probably get a significantly better router for the money too then the OnHub for the money unless you really need the zigbee support. The Asus RT-AC87U is the same price and by most metrics a better and more feature rich router.

Other than that if you need switches watch for sales, I regularly see 5 port, and even sometimes 8 port Netgear gigabit switches with the metal enclosures, which have a lifetime warranty, go on sale for $20-30.

your choice of router support gigabit wired network

but unfortunately there's no gigabit wireless network atm

although there's so much lineup boasting AC connection with multi MIMO antenna, the real speed barely hit 450mbps

the best thing you can do if you want utilize full gigabit internet is by wired network, or multiple usage for your devices.

He's talking about single gigabit is he not?

Gigabit is roughly 125MB per second, my 2TB barracuda does ~160 mb/s writes, surely most HDD's that are modern day can do that 100-125mb/s for sure.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

-snip-

1. You are not reaching gigabit speeds with 5Ghz any time soon.

2. When you get Google Fiber you will get around 700-800 Mbps (AT MOST) and that's it. We're talking about wired.

3. You are investing in a Google On The Hub and nobody knows hows this thing performs, so don't ask for opinions.

You want to make sure to have a proper gigabit wireless connection or minimal investment? Make up your mind.

Wireless in not gigabit friendly. Period.

• 6 months later...
On 9/11/2015 at 8:20 PM, dzonidev said:

1. You are not reaching gigabit speeds with 5Ghz any time soon.

2. When you get Google Fiber you will get around 700-800 Mbps (AT MOST) and that's it. We're talking about wired.

3. You are investing in a Google On The Hub and nobody knows hows this thing performs, so don't ask for opinions.

You want to make sure to have a proper gigabit wireless connection or minimal investment? Make up your mind.

Wireless in not gigabit friendly. Period.

I know I'm a little late to the party here but I have to put in my 2 cents.

I have a gigabit wireless card in my laptop, and my laptop is nearly a year and a half old. Yes, I have tested it, Yes it is gigabit. Average link rate is 866.7mbps in idle and up to 1200mbps under strain. In network transfer rates are around 80-95 megabytes per second in network, and i have full utilization of my 150mbps internet connection from my isp. I will include screenshots of both my wi-fi status page and a link to a current speedtest.  5185842457.png

That speedtest was in fact over wi-fi, if i hardwire it, theres no change over the internet but i lose speed in general if i transfer internally to my nas

Untitled.png

@Adodger22

Firstly nice Necro there, gg.

Secondly you need to realise that speedtest isn't a good measure of how fast your internal network speed is. Network speeds are limited by bottlenecks and in general when running an internet speedtest your internet connection is the bottleneck. Also yes there are Wireless adapters that have a link rate of "1Gbps" but that doesn't mean they actually run at full Gigabit speeds. The best ones can push 500-600Mbps sustained transfers or so in fairly ideal conditions. That's assuming you have a full signal, no other traffic (especially from slower clients) and are obviously connected to the 5Ghz band.

But if you want to guarantee Gigabit? You have to go wired.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

1 hour ago, Adodger22 said:

-snip-

One would argue that you have nothing to back up your claims with. The speedtest result you included, really means nothing because it's ~10% of your "wireless capacity" which 5Ghz is supposed to achieve at least... As for the interface status window, I don't understand how that's relevant to the matter? The only thing that actually matters is the speed you can achieve and that status page certainly doesn't tell you that.

The speedtest wasn't intended to show my internal network speed, only to show full utilization of my internet bandwidth over wifi, while admittedly it is a fraction of the available internal speed. Unfortunately I don't have 2 computers with 801.11ac chips in them so the best I can do is max out a usb 3.0 flash drives transfer speed. 289mbps sustained transfers rates between the router and the computer while transferring a 1.26gb video. I may try with a hardwired laptop and a ram disk later and I will post the results if you are interested. 

As for the status window, that was intended to show it was indeed a wifi connection, not an indication of the speed of a transfer across the network. I was trying to prevent the inevitable "well, that was accomplished through a hardwired connection."

On 9/7/2015 at 4:44 PM, Ronnie76 said:

still

And gigabit is roughly 125MB/s. Which is attainable by most HDDs.