Best home network UTM appliance

Go to solution Solved by BigDay,

take a look at the small - desktop utm models here:

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/unified-threat-management/tech-specs.aspx#start

if i were you, i'd just get the base model: SG 105/105w

Good morning! I have been searching for a powerful feature packed UTM appliance for my home network that must be incredibly secure. Currently my network goes as this: Fios ONT --> (New )Fios Gateway Router --> Google OnHub (Connected to Fios Gateway Router) and a Netgear Prosafe 8-Port Switch which my computers are attached too. If anyone could help me finding the best one I would appreciate it! 

sophos

Well what Sophos appliance should I get? I don't want something that is outdated and has end of life coming up?

The top two free non-expiring solutions are Untangle and Sophos UTM. Both require your own hardware.

The 1037U CPU is one of the lowest power / highest single core performing CPU's (firewalls like these only use one core).

$139 for a prebuilt

$209 for one with cheap parts installed

If you want to build your own firewall with solid parts (sans wireless) $284:
MB w/CPU built-in
Morex 557 chassis
PSU
Mem
Drive

Nice thread of options

Or just jump on AliExpress and look around.

The top two free non-expiring solutions are Untangle and Sophos UTM. Both require your own hardware.

The 1037U CPU is one of the lowest power / highest single core performing CPU's (firewalls like these only use one core).

$139 for a prebuilt

$209 for one with cheap parts installed

If you want to build your own firewall with solid parts (sans wireless) $284:

MB w/CPU built-in

Morex 557 chassis

PSU

Mem

Drive

Nice thread of options

Or just jump on AliExpress and look around.

I was looking at somthing made by Sophos like the SG 105. Is that anygood?

just download the free version of the sophos utm software and go from there. use an old pc

edit:

have you had unauthorized individuals or groups try and access your network recently?

BigDay

just download the free version of the sophos utm software and go from there. use an old pc

edit:

have you had unauthorized individuals or groups try and access your network recently?

Yes, it was from an unknown source and was able to attach a keylogger in the network, I have been able to stop it for now but I dont want to take another chance

Yes, it was from an unknown source and was able to attach a keylogger in the network, I have been able to stop it for now but I dont want to take another chance

i'm sorry to hear that. this has also happened to a friend of mine. do you by any chance live in an apartment building or in a downtown area?

BigDay

i'm sorry to hear that. this has also happened to a friend of mine. do you by any chance live in an apartment building or in a downtown area?

I do not. I live in a rural area

I do not. I live in a rural area

my friend did as well. interesting

BigDay

my friend did as well. interesting

So any recommendations on hardware thats preconfigured with OS and stuff?

Prebuilt hardware UTM solutions have annual subscription fees which doesn't make sense for a home network. The Untangle and Sophos have free software only versions without subscriptions. Both are pretty good.

Typically things like keyloggers are installed from infections. All the firewalls in the world don't stop infections from

surfing in the dark corners of the web

phish

a click

a bad ad

A UTM gateway can reduce infections but won't eliminate the issues if you have any of the four risks above.

It's not difficult to configure the free UTM solutions to filter out most of the bad stuff. Advanced stuff will still bypass even the paid products as the advanced campaigns are typically hosted in clouds like AWS using fast flux with dynamic domain generation and you can't functionally block things like that.

One of the bigger reductions in risk is to surf from a VM with browser filters and flush after each use.

Nobody recommends pfsense? Its the best option for beginners all the way to experts. It will require you to have your own hardware though.(you can use an old computer that is laying around) If you want something a little cooler/way less expensive than *cough* sophos *cough*, check out the ubiquity erl-3.

My native language is C++

Nobody recommends pfsense? Its the best option for beginners all the way to experts. It will require you to have your own hardware though.(you can use an old computer that is laying around) If you want something a little cooler/way less expensive than *cough* sophos *cough*, check out the ubiquity erl-3.

PFSense is powerful, but it is not by default a UTM system. With the right setup it can be made that way, but I believe the OP is looking for something a bit more plug and play. And I don't think the Ubiquiti edge routers really fit that bill either, for the same reason.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: