Software for editing Raw Photos?

I have a room carved out for my free-lance photography so I can control my lighting there and don't have to do anything other then crop the photos.

I want to start learning how to edit raw photos.

Since I am just starting out I would like to know if there are any free programs that I could mess with.

I know lightroom exists, is basically the industry standard, and costs $150.  I just don't have that much extra money to buy something that I will only use twice.

Thank you for your time.

gimp?

it should work with raw right?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have a room carved out for my free-lance photography so I can control my lighting there and don't have to do anything other then crop the photos.

Since I am just starting out I would like to know if there are any free programs that I could mess with.

I know lightroom exists, is basically the industry standard, and costs $150.  I just don't have that much extra money to buy something that I will only use twice.

Thank you for your time.

That you will only use twice?

If you already own an Apple computer, the new Photo app incorporates the features of the discontinued Apple Aperture, which was equivalent to Adobe Lightroom.  If you use a Windows computer, get a trial version of Lightroom or Photoshop.  Other software you can use include Capture One and DxO Optics Pro, Photoshop Elements/Pro.

But if you're telling me that your free lance photography skills are so good that all you need to do in post will be cropping... :rolleyes:

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Thank you for your time.

GIMP is one of them,

I personally use Lightroom and Photoshop.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

gimp?

it should work with raw right?

I believe Gimp requires some plugins to open RAW formats, which may or may not be bug free.

Gimp or Picasa is recommended.

He's trying to learn how to edit camera RAW, I doubt Gimp or Picasa would be a good learning experience as Lightroom or Photoshop.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I believe Gimp requires some plugins to open RAW formats, which may or may not be bug free.

He's trying to learn how to edit camera RAW, I doubt Gimp or Picasa would be a good learning experience as Lightroom or Photoshop.

But he does not want to pay so much...

But he does not want to pay so much...

If he is only going to use it once or twice as he stated, the 30 day trial is enough.

go sign up for adobe cc and you get a 30 day trial on all the software !

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

If he is only going to use it once or twice as he stated, the 30 day trial is enough.

Yup then he should probably use Lightroom.

Now if he really wants to learn how to edit proper "RAW", he would need a small windowless room, a red light bulb, a few plastic or metallic trays, some chemicals and patience.

That you will only use twice?

But if you're telling me that your free lance photography skills are so good that all you need to do in post will be cropping... :rolleyes:

To clarify.  My "Pro" photos are mostly books and things that need correct colors so all I need to do is set the color temp in my camera, iso, aperture, shutter speed, etc.... to known values and everything is set.

The raw stuff is more hobby level at this point and I don't have much time for it.  I was wanting to find out what it can do for me and if I don't use it again for a year no issues.

Gimp or Picasa is recommended.

I have never heard of picasa so I will look at it.

f he is only going to use it once or twice as he stated, the 30 day trial is enough.

go sign up for adobe cc and you get a 30 day trial on all the software !

That is a good idea.  Might try it closer to when I have photos to mess with.

yea i agree. never used it but apparently its awsome !

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

RawTherapee is a free raw converter and it's not that bad, but Lightroom with its brush tool is nice.

BTW: Gimp doesn't even support 16bit/chanel.

• 2 weeks later...

Depend on what RAW file comes out of your camera, some camera's come with a raw editor. and some just don't work with alot of programs (like FujiFilm's newer raw format)