I don't have an SSD.

Mikjul

And i don't plan on getting one either.

Loading something is special, i can take a sip of my coffee or Beer knowing i have 30 seconds until i play De_Dust II.

Is there such a thing as overkill?

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

Is there such a thing as overkill?

Glad you asked.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

SSD isn't overkill, though I guess you could say there's not really a huge benefit for games. However, for pretty much everything else they're almost essential for me. 

Have you ever tried editing multiple high resolution video files on hard drives? It takes forever to import and export. 

SSD isn't overkill, though I guess you could say there's not really a huge benefit for games. However, for pretty much everything else they're almost essential for me. 

Have you ever tried editing multiple high resolution video files on hard drives? It takes forever to import and export. 

Usually have no issues with this, i have a separate 7200RPM for my workload stuff.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

SSDs are much more reliable than HDDs and are 7 times faster. With 250gb ssds going under $100, why don't you want something thats far better than a disk drive?

SSDs are much more reliable than HDDs and are 7 times faster. With 250gb ssds going under $100, why don't you want something thats far better than a disk drive?

Unless i'm on a different planet, i heard SSD's are less reliable and rely on TRIM support to not effectively kill it's self, also deleting and writing to it brings it's life expectancy down, unless this changed?

Glad you asked.

Do we have 8K yet?

ok good for you. just gona go load up BF4. and its done in a second with my SSD. c u next year with that hdd

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

ok good for you. just gona go load up BF4. and its done in a second with my SSD. c u next year with that hdd

I don't play it nor own it, so i can't relate.

Unless i'm on a different planet, i heard SSD's are less reliable and rely on TRIM support to not effectively kill it's self, also deleting and writing to it brings it's life expectancy down, unless this changed?

yep your on a diffrent planet and your wrong

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

I don't play it nor own it, so i can't relate.

it would take you days. just face SSD's are better 

they're not less reliable than a HDD. where did you hear that nonsense? Most SSDs you buy today have multi year warranties ranging from 3-5 years ( at least for samsung)

You don't have to make an ssd as your main drive anyways, Having it as a boot drive is just fine for everyday use. 

it would take you days. just face SSD's are better 

You seem to be typing in a manner that would assume i think HDD's are superior?

Same can be said of HDDs. They degrade physically as they are used and are more prone to physical damage from handling. You can drop an SSD onto a concrete floor and it will likely survive, but a HDD would probably break. 

There's also tests of several affordable SSDs that are over something like 2 Petabytes of writes before dying. with the worst capping out at 700TB

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

Can you point me in the direction of the most reliable SSD's then? 512GB or more... my Steam library alone is something like 5TB.

Using a hard disk drive reduces its lifespan, too. It always amazes me when some one brings up a life span of a SSD as if a HDD has a longer life.

Using a car reduces its life span, or a tv, or anything at all. SSDs are no different, but are still much more reliable than a hard drive.

Samsung 1TB 850 SSDs come with a 10 year warranty.

SSHD are a nice in-between

Systems built (personal) | 1. Bad Wolf (Has passed on to PC Heaven): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/zX9WGX |  2. Red Husky: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/Mwhypg

Systems built (for commission) | 1. Red Fox: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/W4LD4D | 2. Not Namedhttp://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/TMhqqs 3. Bad Wolf 2.0: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/7p8Ycf upgraded Bad Wolf to an I3-7100 for my friend as a gift|

You seem to be typing in a manner that would assume i think HDD's are superior?

No, from what you have said it seems like you have just concluded this.

1- You dont delete data off an SSD, just the paging data for the related sectors is deleted and when the storage is needed, the data is just over writen

2- General users just use SSDs for boot/OS and programs/games, not much writting going on.

Can you point me in the direction of the most reliable SSD's then? 512GB or more... my Steam library alone is something like 5TB.

If this was the point of this thread, you have a strange way of asking for advise.