Memory Wars May Herald Mobile Devices With Terabytes of Capacity

Go to solution Solved by TopWargamer,

tumblr_mp8g18xbw31r0tytoo1_500.gif

Story at /.

Lucas123 writes

"With 3D NAND flash going into high production and one startup demonstrating a resistive NAND (RRAM) flash array, it may not be long before mobile devices have hundreds of gigabytes of capacity, even a terabyte, with performance only limited by the bus. Samsung announced it is now mass producing three-dimensional (3D) Vertical NAND (V-NAND) chips, and start-up Crossbar said it has created a prototype of its RRAM chip. Both technologies offer many times what current NAND flash chips offer today in capacity and performance. Which technology will prevail is still up in the air, and experts believe it will be years before RRAM can challenge NAND, but it's almost inevitable that RRAM will overtake NAND as even 3D NAND heads for an inevitable dead end. Others believe 3D NAND, currently at 24 layers, could reach more than 100, giving it a lifespan of five or more years."

Well this sounds awesome.

I can only assume that as the Mobile market pushes such high capacity things, the Desktop/PC side will inevitably get cheaper and cheaper. 

This bodes well for PC gamers. Imagine SSD storage at HDD prices. 

Do not get overly hopeful of course. There are likely obstacles to overcome, but I can imagine this will definitely have an affect on such things, if only mild.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

meanwhile the same ram kit I bought for 35$ goes on sale for 65$.

Uh, these Ram prices i bought 8gb kit for 45€ and now it costs 95€ on sale.

Uh, these Ram prices i bought 8gb kit for 45€ and now it costs 95€ on sale.

From the first link:

Crossbar claims its RRAM technology has a 30 nanosecond latency time. Samsung's top-rated flash, the 840 Pro SSD, has a 0.057 millisecond latency. A millisecond is one-thousandth of a second, a nanosecond is one billionth of a second - a million times faster.

According to Minassian, RRAM can natively withstand 10,000 write-erase cycles, which is a little more than typical consumer-grade MLC (multi-cell level) NAND flash can withstand today - and that's without any error correction code. ECC is used to upgrade today's MLC NAND flash to enterprise-class flash cards and solid-state drives (SSDs).

Like, holy crap that is awesome. More and cheaper RAM and SSD would be nice. :D

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

why on earth would you need a Terabyte in your phone???? lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Lots of pictures.

why on earth would you need a Terabyte in your phone???? lol

4K Video.

Both recording and playing it back.

† Christian Member †

4K Video.

Both recording and playing it back.

I don't think decent 4K recording will come to phones unless they get even larger lenses, simply not enough light will be able to enter the aperture.  Or they will have to lower the framerate to let in enough light, but it not only be low framerate, but motion-blurry too in that case.  Technology may advance but laws of physics do apply unfortunately :(  But yeah, storage for 4K content... and uncompressed audio as well.  That will be nice.  Not that 4K screens on phones will be useful or anything.  But I'm sure they will do it anyway...

I don't think decent 4K recording will come to phones unless they get even larger lenses, simply not enough light will be able to enter the aperture.  Or they will have to lower the framerate to let in enough light, but it not only be low framerate, but motion-blurry too in that case.  Technology may advance but laws of physics do apply unfortunately :(  But yeah, 4K storage... and uncompressed audio as well.  That will be nice.

someone needs to reinvent the camera lens.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I don't think decent 4K recording will come to phones unless they get even larger lenses, simply not enough light will be able to enter the aperture.  Or they will have to lower the framerate to let in enough light, but it not only be low framerate, but motion-blurry too in that case.  Technology may advance but laws of physics do apply unfortunately :(  But yeah, storage for 4K content... and uncompressed audio as well.  That will be nice.  Not that 4K screens on phones will be useful or anything.  But I'm sure they will do it anyway...

Who said it had to be "good" 4K recording? Most consumers will not care anymore than they care about the resolution of their videos on their phones now. 

"Hey, my phone has a 4K camera on it. It has ALL the megapixels. Boo ya." <-- what I imagine them to be like.

The same being true of a 4K screen. But a 4K screen at that screen size would be almost retina, would it not? I do not know what "retina" means beyond "your eyes cannot register the pixels because they are so tiny and so close together". I have no idea what it means in terms of actual resolution.

someone needs to reinvent the camera lens.

Indeed.

† Christian Member †

I think SSDs are bound to replace hard drives completely in normal home PCs and especially laptops in the not too distant future, this will help make that happen much quicker considering how much more popular mobile devices are compared to Pcs.

Who said it had to be "good" 4K recording? Most consumers will not care anymore than they care about the resolution of their videos on their phones now. 

"Hey, my phone has a 4K camera on it. It has ALL the megapixels. Boo ya." <-- what I imagine them to be like.

The same being true of a 4K screen. But a 4K screen at that screen size would be almost retina, would it not? I do not know what "retina" means beyond "your eyes cannot register the pixels because they are so tiny and so close together". I have no idea what it means in terms of actual resolution.

Indeed.

Well, with a phone sized lens, the image would be incredibly dark.  I think people would notice :)

A 4K 5" screen would be almost 900 PPI.  Beyond 350 PPI there is really no benefit :)  1080p screens on phones are already well past the barrier of usefulness.