Dual Monitor Noob Here. Please Help!

Go to solution Solved by Cacao,

Here's what you do:

a) connect the second monitor to your graphics card (use the best cable you have available, best option is DVI)

b ) right click on your desktop and go to "Screen resolution"

c) Here you should see your two monitors, drag the boxes so the setup on the screen looks exactly like the one in front of you, in my case it looks like this:

b8b24ea7de94992073b7f97b4b19daee.png

If one is higher than the other or is on the wrong side make sure to adjust it accordingly. You can click the "identify" button on the right so you can see which is which.

d) Next make sure you have the following config:

-Click on your main 1080p monitor and me sure it says "This is currently your main display", if it isn't, check the little box.

-Click on your secondary monitor and under the "Multiple displays" menu set it to "Extend desktop to this display"

e6891caba7b3cc4e6f3d3ec171ce5db5.png

Once you've done that hit apple and you're done. You can now drag windows from one display to the other and whatever you put on your second display you'll be able to see once you go in a game on your primary display.

Hope this helped!

@nikg307

Hello people of Linusville!

I have recently become interested in running dual monitors so that I have chat and media windows open whilst gaming.

However, I don't want to have to buy a new monitor.

My current setup consists of a MSI HAWK GTX560TI and a Benq GW2250 monitor running at 1080p.

I have a spare Acer V203h monitor which runs at 1600x900. 

I was wondering if it was possible to set it up so that games and videos would appear on the Benq, while Skype, WMP, Teamspeak, etc. Would appear on the Acer

I'd also like to have different wallpapers on each monitor.

Thanks for any help!

My Build: Intel Core i5 2500k @4.8GHz, MSI GTX560ti Hawk, Asus P8Z78V-Pro Gen/3, 8GB Mushkin 1866 RAM, Corsair H100, NZXT Tempest

Yes it is possible i don't know how though but it should be fairly easy and someone will probably fix your problem in 5 min

Yes of course, many people do this with spare monitors. make sure you set your BenQ monitor as your primary monitor and all games should play on that. As for videos it is easier as dragging across the monitors.

#LESBOBRICKS

yep possible. running a 1080p main monitor and a 1440x900 as my secondary. I use windows 8 so setup for multiple monitors is amazing 

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo push+pull

Powercolor 7950 pcs+ @1100 mhz core 1400mhz mem

Coolermaster haf 912 advanced 120mm rear, 200mm top 200mm front

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w ST50F-ES

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

When you right click desktop and go to your monitor settings, you can apply your 1080p monitor to be priority "1" and then full screen applications like games should automatically run on that screen. As for other programs, all you need to do it drag the window over to your 2nd monitor and you're set.

Don't forget to mark as solved ;)

GL HF

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

It will be fine. Benq as the main and the other for anything else you need to do. Its not like triple monitor setup where you need three of the same monitor

Nzxt Phantom 410 - I5 4670k stock - 7950 vapor x @ 1000mhz/1250mhz - Msi Z87 G45 - 8gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1600mhz - TX650 - Benq XL2420t - Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Deathadder 2013

You can switch programs to the other monitor with the following keyboard shortcuts: windows + shift + left/right arrow

Here's what you do:

a) connect the second monitor to your graphics card (use the best cable you have available, best option is DVI)

b ) right click on your desktop and go to "Screen resolution"

c) Here you should see your two monitors, drag the boxes so the setup on the screen looks exactly like the one in front of you, in my case it looks like this:

b8b24ea7de94992073b7f97b4b19daee.png

If one is higher than the other or is on the wrong side make sure to adjust it accordingly. You can click the "identify" button on the right so you can see which is which.

d) Next make sure you have the following config:

-Click on your main 1080p monitor and me sure it says "This is currently your main display", if it isn't, check the little box.

-Click on your secondary monitor and under the "Multiple displays" menu set it to "Extend desktop to this display"

e6891caba7b3cc4e6f3d3ec171ce5db5.png

Once you've done that hit apple and you're done. You can now drag windows from one display to the other and whatever you put on your second display you'll be able to see once you go in a game on your primary display.

Hope this helped!

@nikg307

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

For having different wallpapers on each you have to get a program called  DisplayFusion, it's on steam and it's 30 dollars. It can also do other things like making the task bar go to both monitors. 

For having different wallpapers on each you have to get a program called  DisplayFusion, it's on steam and it's 30 dollars. It can also do other things like making the task bar go to both monitors. 
there is a free version as well which will pretty much supply all of your needs for the average user using 2 monitors

Thanks for all the responses!

I didn't realize that running dual monitors would be so simple.

I'll definitely try out DisplayFusion once I get everything set up.

My Build: Intel Core i5 2500k @4.8GHz, MSI GTX560ti Hawk, Asus P8Z78V-Pro Gen/3, 8GB Mushkin 1866 RAM, Corsair H100, NZXT Tempest

in windows 8 you can use different wallpapers without a program

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.